Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

CoM_Solaufein

can we kill vampires with spears yet?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Looks pretty cool but I'll be judging all the DLC against Shivering Isles, I want some bloody huge dungeons and a new land mass in a crazy location, mostly I just want subsequent patches to not destabilise the main game like they did with Fallout 3 :shifty:

The problem is, vampires have always been really lame since they've always lacked the awesome powers they have in the lore. Now Bethesda gives us Bram Stoker vampires, complete with shapeshifting into bats.

Bethesda can do interesting things with the plot, though, since Molag Bal seems to be involved judging from the trailer. Molag Bal made the first vampire by raping a woman. Also, both in Morrowind expansion and Oblivion expansion a Daedric prince had been central to the plot.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Not sure how I feel about this DLC/expansion. Skyrim felt like a one-and-done game to me, and since I've finished it, I don't know if I'm going to bother playing it again. This Dawnguard is going to have to be massive and add a tonne of stuff to do for me to get it.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Still exploring my first playthrough of Skyrim..and the one thing thats leapt out at me.. is my god Claudia Christian voices a lot of roles.

Now, she's got a distinctive voice if you know it, but they have her voicing three characters in one city where they're all about 40 seconds travel from each other. Dang it, that's just making it silly.

If you're going to re-use voice artists like that, at least take into account some distance gamewise so it doesn't get shoved in your face.. (or ear, as the case may be...)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hm, after spending the last few days getting in gaming time on this.. I can say it doesn't have Oblivion's soul-sapping blahness to the gameplay, and the world and environment generally looks somewhat pretty. But I can't see this turning into a repeated playthrough game. Sure, there's probably a bunch of the miscellaneous quests I'll have missed by the time I finish it..and places I've not discovered.. but beyond a certain point there just doesn't seem to be much push towards those elements.

That and the lack of choice in these quests can be a bit annoying. Most especially the Daedric ones, given they usually sneak up on you sideways. When you reach points that you would like to step back and say "no", or rather then invite x priest to be murdered at a certain location you could just get an option to tell them about it and not casually murder them... As it is, the only options you get left with are to walk away, leaving the quests unfinished, lurking on your journal and with a priest stuck in a cage... (or elements to that effect).

Not to say it isn't being mostly enjoyable, but I'm not really getting the glowing magic of it's appeal that various folks I know have been going on about.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

My new rig arrives next week, I'm going to install it on that, crank up all the settings super maximum and have a bit of a go on it.

Without graphical mods, it'll still look like crap.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

My new rig arrives next week, I'm going to install it on that, crank up all the settings super maximum and have a bit of a go on it.

Without graphical mods, it'll still look like crap.

Ditto. Make sure to install 2K textures mod (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/607) and the water&terrain enhanced mod (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13268) if you want any eyecandy to begin with.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I have the High Resolution Texture pack that came from Steam. I'm thinking I'll have to deactivate it. My performance has been killed. Way too much stuttering when I play now.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Any word yet on whether spears are part of dawn guard? Crossbows are cool too, but I really want to kill a dragon with a spear, from horseback

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

Eurogamer give Dawnguard 7/10 but the review reads like a 5, pity.

PC Master race, no matter what the problem is it shall be fixed!

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Eurogamer give Dawnguard 7/10 but the review reads like a 5, pity.

Right. But when is out for PC?

A month after, so around the end of July.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

i'm gonna wait for a dlc that adds spears. then i'll buy all the available dlc and do another playthrough, hopefully in what will feel like a fairly different world because of all the changes from the mutliple dlcs

im guessing there will be three dlc expansions, i just hope that spears are next. wonder what the third one would add as weapons? or maybe the third one would let you ride around on a dragon finally

That's only if you use too much bloom. Most of the "good" enb mods don't do that

All the ones I've seen do, including the recommended ones. The day settings look NEVER right. I will admit they have some nice depth of field and they can look cool in dungeons.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

That's only if you use too much bloom. Most of the "good" enb mods don't do that

All the ones I've seen do, including the recommended ones. The day settings look NEVER right. I will admit they have some nice depth of field and they can look cool in dungeons.

Maybe it's another mod, I know some people who had issues using ENB along side SkyRe. Do you have other mods that affect the lighting?

village_idiot.gif

Maybe it's another mod, I know some people who had issues using ENB along side SkyRe. Do you have other mods that affect the lighting?

No. But then again, I've seen that people seem to be okay with ENB's changes to the lighting, so I'm probably the weirdo for finding them not worthy, especially considering the performance loss.