Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

http://www.ripten.com/2011/10/29/three-hou...-lying-khajiit/

Three hours with Skyrim, not particularly spoilerish.

Generally doesn't tell us much about game mechanics, its just "hey this is what I did guys". One particularly stupid detail is, of course, that he played for 3 hours and he was already Level 7, and in fact, he got all the way to one of the remotest areas at the edge of the map before he found enemies that were too strong for him.

Remember, Fallout 3 style level scaling is only workable if the developers set sensible ranges - e.g. set a given area's creature levels between 12 and 14. There's no point if the range is something like 8 and 16, then the effect is more like Oblivion's. We don't know yet but it's not promisng that (a) you level up so fast, and (b) he was able to get that far.

Still getting it, but expect to try and mod it Day 1...

I get your point about leveling too fast, although we knew about that pretty much since the very first coverage when Todd Howard triumphantly boasted that we'd level even faster than Oblivion and the level "cap" would be raised, but I'm not sure if I understand your point on scaling? The fact that he talked about dying a lot while trying to go into hard zones sounds like a nice thing to me, maybe I'm missing something?

From what I've read, he only really ran into trouble right in front of

Winterhold with the giants

at the end - otherwise the minor altercation with the

conjurer

sounds pretty unchallenging as well. I mean, you've played for two hours and you're knocking down a

frost atronach

? It really doesn't sound very well scaled at all, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong next week.

Leveling pace won't be too hard to mod, but level scaling might be impossible to.

#Lolsticks

Very disappointed you wasted all that time with the initial quests that EVERY previewer has done. I waited over a week for this preview and right down to the giants, it is virtually the same as all the rest. If Bethesda was forcing you to do the quests or something I wouldn

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I was pretty disappinted with the tutorial bits as well. Dunno. The biggest improvement is that the world just looks a lot more... believable or gritty I suppose. It feels a lot more atmospheric than Oblivion.

But other than that, it's just not too exciting. Voiceacting is still rather bleh overall.

Obviously one *really* can't judge the game based on just its tutorial though. I'm already tired of the dragons though.... bets on how long it'll take before they'll be as boring to slay as going through the Oblivion gates were?

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

stiff animation? in an elder scrolls game?

impossible!

oh wait no nevermind...

anyone else ever think the walking animations in morrowind made people look like they were suffering from horrendous wedgies?

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

stiff animation? in an elder scrolls game?

impossible!

oh wait no nevermind...

anyone else ever think the walking animations in morrowind made people look like they were suffering from horrendous wedgies?

Yeah, but TH claimed that they spent significant amount of time on improving animation, while results speak otherwise. To me that means we're getting bethesda bs treatment again, and that the game will be as crappy as their other pseudo rpgs

Bethesda animations are never, ever, ever, ever good. I don't know what you guys were expecting. I've pretty much forgotten all the hype points about Skyrim though, because what's the point? Half the things they said about Oblivion wasn't true. The thing that makes Skyrim possibly worth buying is what Oblivion did well despite its flaws. If you're relying on Skyrim to substantially improve or change direction from, I doubt you'll be a happy customer.

I'm in a weird place - I know that it's pretty much guaranteed we'll see more silly dialogue, more terrible animations, more terrible level scaling (though maybe not quite as bad), more terrible plot, etc. But I also think we're pretty much guaranteed to get some fun exploration and wandering-lootin'-dungeoneering.

What I fail to mention in my preview is just how many times I died because I was pushing on ahead so hard.

That's good to hear, though.

The dialogue in the footage was an improvement from Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Mediocre and unsubtle, but hardly hilariously bad. Of course, there's gonna be a whole game after that, so plenty of opportunities for mad MUDCRABZ and CRIMINAL SCUM.

P.S. (@MechanicalLemon): Yeah Michael Hogan is a guy from the Legion.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

I think some of you are expecting too much from a Bethesda game.

Open world, exploration, atmosphere: as long as it has though there's not much to complain about it.

Bethesda has a long list of things they don't do well in their rpgs; those are unlikely to change in Skyrim.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I had a quick look at one of the streams, I'm not sure where the guy was but it was visually gorgeous, he started a few conversations and the voice acting was fine, not stellar but perfectly fine, the local Jarl had a nice Germanic lilt to his accent.

I didn't get to see much animation as I pulled myself away pretty quickly, but this is a Bethesda game and outdated animation is par for the course, I won't be too let down.

Mostly what I feel when I see people streaming the game is envy >_<

Crates are one thing Bethie does as well as anyone!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yeah, but TH claimed that they spent significant amount of time on improving animation, while results speak otherwise.

The animations look better to me. They don't look GOOD fror a 2011 game but they do look better.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Part of the equation when you have to incorporate a lot of different races and armours. If it was just one possible main character I'm sure he could have been flashing a bazillion fancy animation sets. That said, I wish it was just a little bit better.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

i dont' care if they did a whopping 10 line addition to their engine to make skryim shine. it isn't their engine. it looks very much like just an ewer gamebryo.

Obsidian don't accept an offer to work on Fallout 4 unless Bethesda has proof they know more about the engine than they did for the one in fallout 3.

Hire me if you need an engine maker. please don't ruin your good name.

Edited by Prosper

redacted