What are you playing now?

Gorth

i've decided that instead of just flat out ignorning BF3 because of origin, i'm just going to wait for it to cost $20 before picking it up. so... black friday?

That's pretty unlikely.

You know that BF3 doesn't actually use Origin, right? It just acts as an activation portal, similar to the way Steam does. The game is handled through your browser, which after a bit of time has turned out to be pretty awesome.

How is that awesome?

That you need to alt-tab to access function that game interface should provide is a major flaw IMO.

And since when a full fledged DRM is called an "activation portal"?

EVE. And this graph means I'm back in business. Not the heady days of 30k a unit though, but still

post-25426-1319675677_thumb.png

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

i've decided that instead of just flat out ignorning BF3 because of origin, i'm just going to wait for it to cost $20 before picking it up. so... black friday?

That's pretty unlikely.

You know that BF3 doesn't actually use Origin, right? It just acts as an activation portal, similar to the way Steam does. The game is handled through your browser, which after a bit of time has turned out to be pretty awesome.

How is that awesome?

That you need to alt-tab to access function that game interface should provide is a major flaw IMO.

And since when a full fledged DRM is called an "activation portal"?

Waaah waaah. It's an online game. I guess I could see you complaining if you were playing for the single player campaign, but if you buy BF3 for that, you've already lost.

It's a great way to keep track of friends and platoons. Its basically a social networking site for the game, except instead of a thumbs up 'like' button you give a Hooah!

And I'm talking about Battlelog, not Origin. It doesn't use Origin at all. I don't even notice it is on most of the time, I would actually say it's less intrusive than Steam.

So you play this game in your web browser? That just sounds weird. Not that it couldnt' be great, it's just that it seems weird to me.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

So you play this game in your web browser? That just sounds weird. Not that it couldnt' be great, it's just that it seems weird to me.

You join games and handle all the social aspects through your browser. Once you choose a server, it launches the game. I disliked it tremendously at first, but it has grown on me quickly.

Finally got around to M&B:Warband. Based on experience w/the 1st game, I thought my horse & lance would be enough to take on 11 bandits solo at lvl1, for some exp. & loot to hire some Heroes. Then I realized the lance was refusing to couch for some reason and by the time I'd adjusted my thinking, I was dead (well, unconscious at least). :lol: They must've changed speed or weapon requirement or something for the lance to couch, I guess.

The next group of looters, however, felt my wrath and were all beaten unconscious, taken prisoner and sold.

Yep. They changed the mechanic behind crouching to avoid long crouching (so there is a time limit) and automatic crouching (so there is a manual trigger).

This is mostly for MP where they wanted to avoid a unique tactic in duel.

Now, crouching remains as deadly as before, just a bit less comfortable and may require some practice.

After a patch they added the option to have crouching triggered a bit friendlier (like it remains more or less automatic) for SP games (I think).

You join games and handle all the social aspects through your browser. Once you choose a server, it launches the game. I disliked it tremendously at first, but it has grown on me quickly.

Hey Hurlshot, we should squad up, my soldier's name is SadExchange410. I don't mind Origin as I only used it to install the game, otherwise I just use the web browser like he said. Love the 64 person battles so far.

I miss Titans. And suiciding C4 packed jeeps into walkers and APCs.

I play 2142 regularly, there's still a dozen or so servers running and now it's only the "serious" gamers that still hanging around.

Fortune favors the bald.

actually, maybe i'd rather play 2142 and get battlefield 3 in a few years...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I never understood why 2142 didn't get more love. It was epic.

What do you mean? I think it got plenty of love, it's almost bug free and it took the best from B2 and put it in a futuristic setting. Plus B3 classes are taken directly from 2142.

Fortune favors the bald.

I never understood why 2142 didn't get more love. It was epic.

What do you mean? I think it got plenty of love, it's almost bug free and it took the best from B2 and put it in a futuristic setting. Plus B3 classes are taken directly from 2142.

It's just that no one ever really talks about it. I'm not sure how financially successful it was, but it seems to get as little press as BF: Vietnam.

It got an expansion, which is more than Vietnam got.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yep. They changed the mechanic behind crouching to avoid long crouching (so there is a time limit) and automatic crouching (so there is a manual trigger).

This is mostly for MP where they wanted to avoid a unique tactic in duel.

Now, crouching remains as deadly as before, just a bit less comfortable and may require some practice.

After a patch they added the option to have crouching triggered a bit friendlier (like it remains more or less automatic) for SP games (I think).

I'm still not sure I "get" the new mechanics but I'll figure it out eventually. Haven't noticed a crouching-specific option but maybe it's built in or has weird wording.

It was a bit too overpowered before...altho in the SP game at least, eventually I hardly have to ever fight myself to doesn't matter too much.

Do you know if having a high Persuasion will prevent the bickering Heroes from actually leaving, like before? In the 1st game they'd still complain periodically but they'd never actually leave. Or at least, they never did when I played.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

steam halloween sale

i just bought painkiller complete, cthulhu saves the world, and troika vampire rpg for $11.

love steam.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Wonder why Korea never got a game, truly a forgotten war. Anyway still pluggin on in DOW2, really overestimated myself with Captain, or I have really bad gear. Also finishing off Caesar IV, wish they'd make another game in the series.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wonder why Korea never got a game, truly a forgotten war. Anyway still pluggin on in DOW2, really overestimated myself with Captain, or I have really bad gear. Also finishing off Caesar IV, wish they'd make another game in the series.

There was actually that one Commandos style game set in the US-Korean war in the 50s. It just happens to be some small game that never got a real publisher. The name eludes me right now...

... but I dread a future where I need five or six DRM clients installed to play games.

Hopefully I'll be not gaming (become more & more a possibility) or dead by then. :sorcerer:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

... but I dread a future where I need five or six DRM clients installed to play games.

Hopefully I'll be not gaming (become more & more a possibility) or dead by then. :*

I hope to be playing games till I'm old and grey...though possibly while living in a high tech police state the way things are going, at least we'll should have games beamed directly into our brains by then :sorcerer:

Anyway, Battlefield 3 is a lot of fun and very easy to just pick up and play, it's got a few technical issues though, drop outs and a poorly optimised graphics engine, typical first day PC release stuff I suppose but still annoying.