What are you playing now?

Gorth

Every time somebody makes a sweeping claim about what some company's or series' games are about, I vomit a bit.

Oh, and why is that?

id hired some Hollywood writer for Doom 3 to write the story...well? The result was a joke. But the game itself still oozled with atmosphere.

Companies should play out their strengths, not try to waste their time and energy on things they have no expertise in.

Well, pretty much a good summation of id's games.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

id hired some Hollywood writer for Doom 3 to write the story...well? The result was a joke. But the game itself still oozled with atmosphere.

And they hired a novelist for Doom 4. Or so were the rumors some time ago.

Edited by Fighter

Dark souls is not easier than Demon's souls. Especially not at the beginning. Sure you can get some good weapons early but everyone is still more dangerous than most DS enemies.

maybe dark souls just feels a bit easier because i already played demons souls and knew what to expect?

i remember the first few hours of demons souls being very very very hard, and only easing up a tiny bit when you get further. plus i remember having to farm for hours in that game just to get a few small upgrades, in this one it seems like the cost of upgrading is smaller

maybe i was just doing it wrong in demons souls though. i remember it being really hard, and dark souls the only really hard parts so far have been bosses.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

@entrerix

How does Dark Souls compare to Demon's Souls?

Demons can really rape my ass sometimes, but it's never unfair or frustrating, and most importantly, I don't have to grind grind grind... in order to advance. I just have to be patient and keep learning from my mistakes.

I heard Dark isn't like that.

Also, Dark Souls is open world as opposed to Demon's, how does this structure benefit the game? Also I heard there are frogs who can diminish your health bar permanently, and other sort of bull****. I'm not sure I want to put up with something like that. Demon's is really rewarding, but I have my doubts about Dark...

dark souls is better. i played demons souls for about 60 hours and im having way more fun with this game. The BIGGEST reason its better is the open world design, it plays like a castlevania or metroid game, where you have a big castle/world to explore, but some areas are closed off with locked doors etc that you get from beating bosses you find around, and there is a bit of freeform to how you explore (but not at all like new vegas or morrowind - but if you've played a castlevania game in the last 10 years you should get what im talking about). as you explore you also will find hidden shortcuts that take you quickly between regions, so the world ends up feeling large, and yet tightly knit together too. its really exceptional level and world design.

the frogs that diminish your health bar aren't a huge deal now people know what they can do. just make sure you buy a purge stone from the merchant in the belltower before you go fight the frogs, if they curse you and halve your health bar, just use the purge stone and you are cured, no big deal. (this would have been awful before people realized you can just cure yourself with a purge stone)

the game is easier than demons souls imo. there are a couple of tough bosses, but there are fewer really hard mobs in the levels, so its easier to explore early on. the only things i hear people gripe about are the curse frogs (if said person forgot or didn't know to buy a purge stone before heading down there) and the Capra demon (which is the boss i got stuck on, i finally beat him on my 3rd try - i made sure to level up my armor before fighting him again, it made a big difference).

if you search threads you will see a lot of people get stuck on the Capra demon, but this is hardly the first game in history to have a tough boss fight that takes 3-4 tries before you kill him. not to mention if you feel really hopeless you could just grind a few more levels.

i think i grind about the same or less than demons souls, definitely not more. if you remotely liked demons souls then i heartily suggest dark souls.

edit: also, if you die in dark souls you don't have to start the whole level over, so that alone makes it WAY less frustrating than demons souls.

I agree with everything above and believe it to be well pointed out. I also would drive home his last point. The part that frustrated me the most about Demon Souls and made me end up quitting was the difficulty in starting over and losing your souls without the ability to grind early on to pump up your character. Now, with bonfires and reproducing enemies, it's possible to level up early game and then proceed from then on with more stats and this has made the game far better in my opinion. I enjoyed Demon Souls somewhat, but am really enjoying Dark Souls because of the open-world concept. I believe my next boss i the Capra Demon so I'll be on the lookout for him, however I just really enjoy the level design and how it was said that it's like Castlevania or Metroid where you get to a further area, and find a shortcut to an earlier area so that you're able to move more freely between the areas and no loading times is a nice touch.

I will say I've noticed what I believe to be lag in some battles due to playing online. Nothing bad, just noticeable. I haven't come across the frogs yet, but I bought a purge stone from the guy in the tower just in case. Is that a one time use item? When I get cursed, should I wait to use the stone before I clear out the entire area?

And they hired a novelist for Doom 4. Or so were the rumors some time ago.

Did they say who it was?

Every time somebody makes a sweeping claim about what some company's or series' games are about, I vomit a bit.

Oh, and why is that?

Companies should play out their strengths, not try to waste their time and energy on things they have no expertise in.

Can't say I disagree with you, and I could have picked a worse sweeping generalisation to go after.

But back on topic, you can get "points" for your end ME3 result from the MP and "other games", which will compensate for skipping quests in the SP (they said you can get the best result in the SP alone, but it's unclear if that calls for just work, doing all the quests or choosing "right"). Rationale being that since your MP games are in the same areas, they affect the outcome of the war.

Dismiss this as the opinion of a Bioware fanboy, but I think it's a pretty elegant way of doing it, in comparison to other sp/mp combo games or tie-ins (yes, including the terribad dragon age ones).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Now its time to move on to Honest Hearts. Even though I don't like human primates and religious garbage in my Fallout universe, I'll still give it a try.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Can't afford new games so I'm going back through my library. On Fallout 3 now. Being New Vegas-ish. Everyone hates me. Blasted boyscouts.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

@entrerix

How does Dark Souls compare to Demon's Souls?

Demons can really rape my ass sometimes, but it's never unfair or frustrating, and most importantly, I don't have to grind grind grind... in order to advance. I just have to be patient and keep learning from my mistakes.

I heard Dark isn't like that.

Also, Dark Souls is open world as opposed to Demon's, how does this structure benefit the game? Also I heard there are frogs who can diminish your health bar permanently, and other sort of bull****. I'm not sure I want to put up with something like that. Demon's is really rewarding, but I have my doubts about Dark...

dark souls is better. i played demons souls for about 60 hours and im having way more fun with this game. The BIGGEST reason its better is the open world design, it plays like a castlevania or metroid game, where you have a big castle/world to explore, but some areas are closed off with locked doors etc that you get from beating bosses you find around, and there is a bit of freeform to how you explore (but not at all like new vegas or morrowind - but if you've played a castlevania game in the last 10 years you should get what im talking about). as you explore you also will find hidden shortcuts that take you quickly between regions, so the world ends up feeling large, and yet tightly knit together too. its really exceptional level and world design.

the frogs that diminish your health bar aren't a huge deal now people know what they can do. just make sure you buy a purge stone from the merchant in the belltower before you go fight the frogs, if they curse you and halve your health bar, just use the purge stone and you are cured, no big deal. (this would have been awful before people realized you can just cure yourself with a purge stone)

the game is easier than demons souls imo. there are a couple of tough bosses, but there are fewer really hard mobs in the levels, so its easier to explore early on. the only things i hear people gripe about are the curse frogs (if said person forgot or didn't know to buy a purge stone before heading down there) and the Capra demon (which is the boss i got stuck on, i finally beat him on my 3rd try - i made sure to level up my armor before fighting him again, it made a big difference).

if you search threads you will see a lot of people get stuck on the Capra demon, but this is hardly the first game in history to have a tough boss fight that takes 3-4 tries before you kill him. not to mention if you feel really hopeless you could just grind a few more levels.

i think i grind about the same or less than demons souls, definitely not more. if you remotely liked demons souls then i heartily suggest dark souls.

edit: also, if you die in dark souls you don't have to start the whole level over, so that alone makes it WAY less frustrating than demons souls.

I agree with everything above and believe it to be well pointed out. I also would drive home his last point. The part that frustrated me the most about Demon Souls and made me end up quitting was the difficulty in starting over and losing your souls without the ability to grind early on to pump up your character. Now, with bonfires and reproducing enemies, it's possible to level up early game and then proceed from then on with more stats and this has made the game far better in my opinion. I enjoyed Demon Souls somewhat, but am really enjoying Dark Souls because of the open-world concept. I believe my next boss i the Capra Demon so I'll be on the lookout for him, however I just really enjoy the level design and how it was said that it's like Castlevania or Metroid where you get to a further area, and find a shortcut to an earlier area so that you're able to move more freely between the areas and no loading times is a nice touch.

I will say I've noticed what I believe to be lag in some battles due to playing online. Nothing bad, just noticeable. I haven't come across the frogs yet, but I bought a purge stone from the guy in the tower just in case. Is that a one time use item? When I get cursed, should I wait to use the stone before I clear out the entire area?

purge stone i believe is a one use item, but really, if you are careful (which i know you will be now since you know the risk of curse) you probably won't even need to use 1. and if you are paranoid you can just buy 2. 3000 souls each seems like a lot at first, but eventually it won't be a big deal. (currently for me to level up once it costs ~15,000 souls, so 3,000 souls for an item is not much.

edit: just as an aside - that goddamn disco dance boss from alpha protocol was way harder than any boss i've fought so far in demons souls. now granted, my build was pistols in AP and that disco guy had a million hit points or whatever, but still, dark souls is REALLY not that hard. its not even close to being as hard as super metroid or any contra games, or even any old mega man games. it's only hard compared to "modern" shooters, or anything made by bethesda or bioware.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Can't afford new games so I'm going back through my library. On Fallout 3 now. Being New Vegas-ish. Everyone hates me. Blasted boyscouts.

Waiting for my masterplan to come together... Everybody from NCR to the Legion thinks I'm a great guy, working for their interests. Just waiting for the moment to come when House shall realize who the true ruler of New Vegas is. I shall format his hard drive and then turn on the NCR and the Legion like a storm vengeance. With the help of the Boomers and BoS the Mojave shall become a battlefield and the desert shall drown in blood so not even the dam will be able to stem the tide of bodily fluids leaking from their miserable corpses. That is, those I haven't fried with Archimedes II yet! :)

One courier to rule them all :p

Ok, maybe I should relax a bit when playing this game.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

purge stone i believe is a one use item, but really, if you are careful (which i know you will be now since you know the risk of curse) you probably won't even need to use 1. and if you are paranoid you can just buy 2. 3000 souls each seems like a lot at first, but eventually it won't be a big deal.

That's nice but even for a level 20 character 3000 souls represent a 30 minute grind.

I guess it may not be a big deal if you compare it to bosses which as far as I've seen require hours of grinding to beat.

Stopped playing Demon's Souls for now lest suffering mental breakdown - and I mean that as a compliment.

It's just....when you start hearing yourself talking in your deep sleep "Hey....yess, ...you, 24, catch the red armour!", I know I shouldn't play games at night that are so... intensive?

So I'm gonna play something more relaxing, like Doom 3. In the meantime id and AMD are maybe gonna release another driver/patch when I get started with Rage.

Finished off Broken Sword 2, that was fun. Now I've nothing to play, probably will go back to Civ 4 or Rebellion for time killing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Red Faction: Armageddon

Ho boy, nobody told me that you could rebuild all the stuff that gets destroyed. Lots of fun so far.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm trying disciples 3 Resurrection. I like the undead units at the moment. I also like the balance changes in battles with melee units a lot more efficient.
Dont you mean Renaissance?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200670/

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm trying disciples 3 Resurrection. I like the undead units at the moment. I also like the balance changes in battles with melee units a lot more efficient.
Dont you mean Renaissance?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200670/

Huh.

Finally had some time for Dark Souls. Beat the tutorial boss and arrived at the second area, doing some exploring and fighting annoying skeletons. Still too early to give serious impressions. game looks better than Demon's Souls, but has already been slightly annoying with bad frame rate. Playing as a cleric atm, and I have slowly gotten used to the fighting again. Still not great in melee, but I manage.