RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

The haunted house in VMBL did a good job of playing on peoples fears, building up gradually as you went along. Perhaps it was because it played on familiar subjects (something fantasy and scifi games might have problems with)?

That is one of my go to examples for a great set piece in gaming.

Everything was beautiful. Nothing hurt.

X-COM night missions with no flares, ah the joy of hearing something moving around out there. Still skip night missions :)
I just hover over the crash site / base until it's noon, and then enter.

Yep, I do that, tend to lose out on missions often though, but oh well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I just have to add that Demise: Rise of Ku'tan is one of the most difficult games I've ever played. I could never get below level 3 or 4 or something!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Wonder if people will ever tire.

Well you see, that's the whole thing I just don't get.

Sure, I see why people are buying Half Life and GTA and The Sims games in droves, because that series isn't actually diluted down to some annualised assembly line products, the guys making these games at least try to do something new with every new interation, with more or less success, but CoD? Not that I ever managed to finish a single one, but I got the feeling the series is getting even worse than it already was before.

People just have no souls, that's the only explanation why they keep buying these products.

And these same people are pointing out all the flaws and plot holes of something different like Heavy Rain. Okay, it's not perfect, I see it, and yes, Dave Cage can be a bit of a pretentious, inflated Ego sometimes, but at least the guy has the will to ship something that got a soul.

Edited by Morgoth

Well you see, that's the whole thing I just don't get.

Sure, I see why people are buying Half Life and GTA and The Sims games in droves, because that series isn't actually diluted down to some annualised assembly line products, the guys making these games at least try to do something new with every new interation, with more or less success, but CoD? Not that I ever managed to finish a single one, but I got the feeling the series is getting even worse than it already was before.

People just have no souls, that's the only explanation why they keep buying these products.

And these same people are pointing out all the flaws and plot holes of something different like Heavy Rain. Okay, it's not perfect, I see it, and yes, Dave Cage can be a bit of a pretentious, inflated Ego sometimes, but at least the guy has the will to ship something that got a soul.

The CoD franchise is extremely polished with an addictive mp experience. They're summer blockbusters. I've enjoyed the franchise and the recent Black Ops is, IMHO, the best of the recent CoD games. Even enjoying the series I'm amazed how well it has done. I feel a lot of that success is also because just about anyone can pick up and play the game.

What I don't get myself is how well the map packs have sold. I felt my $60 was well spent on the main game but there are now 4 map at $15 a piece. That adds up to the same amount as the main game. $15 for 4-5 mp maps is ridiculous.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Kinda puts CD Projekt fapping to 1 million sales in perspective.

Yeah, and I read somewhere, they wanna make a remake of Witcher 1 now. That's some really well-thought out investment there.

No thanks.

Consoles would be the key word, there.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Someone's going to get shot through a wall with this line of questioning...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think your and my definition of "soul" is a little different. First off, the whole gameplay is just a continuation from Fahrenheit and only consists of hunders of QTEs. Really? Thats the future of gaming you want? Great!

And no I'm not impressed by the C&C in the slightest. Have seen better before that. Same for the story. Similiar concepts are around in gaming before. In Adventures too.

Also David Cages problem isn't (only) that he is pretentious. Its that he is an offensivly bad writer with the mind of a teenager (Which is also why he includes all the unessecary and retarded stuff like ARI). And hes pretentious.

Edited by C2B

Hey, at least give him some points for keeping the cyborgs, ancient cults, aliens and necrophilia out of it this time. I guess the ARI did manage to slip through though.

That doesn't really excuse terrible execution and plotholes en masse.

But yeah, HR > Fahrenheit

Edited by C2B