Bomb and shooting in Norway

Walsingham

Must be home grown loonies. I mean who else would care about Norway. Denmark is the one famed for the Mohamed drawings.

They likely picked Norway because security there would be lax compared to other European countries currently engaged in Libya and/or Afghanistan (and who've already been under direct or indirect terrorist threat). Frankly, it's a miracle nothing has happened yet in Brussels.

If it was that lax, why not go for the jugular? They obviously meant to target these government buildings and it does seem like a terrorist cell, but the evidence points to a lone wolf type of event. So its somewhat likely that the attacker was "homegrown", specially since the subject is a blond Norwegian man.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Report from TV2 saying the guy was a tall blonde guy. Not sure what you can glean from that.

Since the targets were the government and a labour party youth camp, it could be an unhinged right wing extremist.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's a pretty grim scene here now. They closed off most of centrum. Everything is closed, blue flashing lights from police cars everywhere.

Ghost town.

At least the subway got me home w/o blowing up.

We should hold on a little before we pin this on the muslims. The suspect they're interrogating atm is an ethnic norwegian right-wing

extremist and freemason.

J.

We should hold on a little before we pin this on the muslims. The suspect they're interrogating atm is an ethnic norwegian right-wing

extremist and freemason.

I agree with not jumping all over Muslims when something like this happens. Don't get me wrong, I understand why people have that reaction, but it is essentially a victory for the extremist groups when they are automatically given credit every time something terrible happens.

I really hope (as weird as that sounds) that this is just the act of one unhinged guy and not a real movement. It makes me sick that he targeted a children's camp to get at politicians.

Now they are saying Nazis. Jeez.

Easy labels to slap around.

80s the current report here, as well. Remind me to not go to islands.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I take it there were no armed guards on the island?

Why would there have been that? :sorcerer:

It was just a political youth camp, not a Hells Angels regional meeting or anything.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It was just a political youth camp, not a Hells Angels regional meeting or anything.

Because some psycho might be tempted by an easy target?

It's not the thing you normally expect in Scandinavia. Last significant massacre at a political gathering was the bloodbath of Stockholm in 1520

Jesus, this is complete insanity. Even with Columbine and 9/11, and this may be the worst thing I've ever heard of. Targeting a kids summer camp? I feel sick to my stomach.

Agreed. Though, tbh, the fact that it's a camp for teenagers for "grooming the future political elite" makes me even sicker.

And yeah, armed guards, as a concept, do not exist in the nordic countries. It wasn't that long ago (early 90s) when even all police patrols weren't armed. Now we've progressed to the point where not all patrols have support weapons, but I digress...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Even if he's a Norwegian national that doesn't mean he's not a jihadi. 'White'* jihadis keep turning up in jihadists camps and plots.

I could believe he was a right winger trying to provoke a backlash against muslims. But if so, getting caught would bestupid. No more stupid than doing it in the first place, but you know what I mean.

*Whatever the f*** that means.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think on reflection that the point of the political motivation is a chimera. the key point here is that we have seen across Europe that Jihadist attacks have affected national policies, and are on the point of convincing western governments to abandon Afghanistan. Terrorism is a technique which we have abdicated to, and therefore it will inevitably be used by more and more groups to get what they want.

Jihadist, neo-nazi, communist, anarchist, fringe nationalist. None of it is significant so long as they all use the same technique.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Even if he's a Norwegian national that doesn't mean he's not a jihadi. 'White'* jihadis keep turning up in jihadists camps and plots.

Yeah, let's put the word Jihad in any bomb-terrorist related event, even where there is no room for such a notion.

One thing related to that is the chronology of the events just after this attack. US media led by CNN and FOX, little later BBC as well, in one moment calling upon the US intelligence services said that a massive car bomb has exploded in Oslo and that it's a classic handwriting of Al Qaeda. Immediately news of Norwegian involvement in Afghanistan came popping out, Islamist this, Jihad that, Al Qaeda, etc. But that was utterly false, even with the first images of the blast you can see the damages on the buildings and say that's plastic explosives and no VBIED with a hand print of Al Qaeda. While the Norwegian authorities, like normal folks, wouldn't say anything about whom's to blame until they had more info. And than the peek point of propaganda exploitation of this tragedy, not 20min after breaking news, on TV comes Barrack Obama sending condolences to the Norwegian people, promising support, saying we're all in this together, 'this is our common struggle'. Before any Norwegian member of government or security forces said anything. Together with the US media offensive, later that evening on the press conference the Norwegian prime minister said that prime minister David Cameron phoned him and by the looks of it offered involvement of the British intelligence services because as Stoltemberg carried out the British PMs word: UK already has the possession of intelligence material that could prove very interesting to Norway. I have no doubt they are 'interesting'. However Stoltemberg said the investigation was to be carried out through normal channels and expressed full confidence in the ministry of justice and Norwegian authorities. Nice kick in the butt for David. I have no doubt that certain people in his cabinet and in Washington are disappointed that the attacker is named Anders Behing Breivik, a domestic nut, and not something like Hamad bin Khalifa Al Sulejmani. But nevertheless, they whored this tragedy quite enough to the point they could, as I'm confident they will even more.

My condolences to the people who lost their loved ones and to the Norwegian people.

Edited by Hildegard

blah blah blah.

Its something the news does all the time. Back in January when Gabrielle Giffords was shot in Tucson the leftwing news was jumping the gun blaming right wing tea partiers and talk radio when the nut turned out to be a deranged non-political wacko who thought voices were talking to him.

Maybe you are secretly overjoyed that it isn't a muslim this time but maybe we shouldn't forget that 80+ kids are dead?

Maybe you are secretly overjoyed that it isn't a muslim this time but maybe we shouldn't forget that 80+ kids are dead?

And maybe you're just pathetic in your futile attempt to picture myself to be overjoyed about anything regarding this tragedy.

I've started to disagree a bit with Labour's liberal immigration policy myself lately, but I suspect they're going to reap a windfall of sympathy votes this time. Now journalists are BBQ'ing Siv Jensen, leader of the right wing populist party FrP. The gunner used to be a party-member, supposedly.

That's a pretty low thing to say, heh.

For the sentences can they make him serve them all consecutively ?

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra