Bomb and shooting in Norway

Walsingham

News just coming in of attacks in Norway which I'm sure you'll all have caught on your respective news media. Responsibility at this stage is being claimed by Jihadi groups.

You will recall that there were arrests several years ago of individuals who were planning terrorist attacks in Norway. So you could argue that the attack is a continuation of a long standing theme. But my analysis is that this is an attempt to repeat the Spanish process of an attack at the point when the country was due to leave Afghan anyway, and thereby claim a public 'victory'.

Hope none of you chaps have been directly affected.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Someone's claimed? I thought nobody had yet. Time to double check my news sites.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Someone's claimed? I thought nobody had yet. Time to double check my news sites.

BBC had a reference to Al Mansur something or other. But I can't find it now.

The fact that you have two linked attacks at almost identical times is a hallmark of jihadi doctrine. It's basically them showing off their organisational skills. Although why it's somehow an achievement I've never understood.

Incidentally, I notice that it's been a good day for Islamists. Al-Shabab in Somalia are denying that there is any famine, and are refusing to permit food aid distribution.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

They were something like a couple of hours apart. Attacking social democrats like that makes me more think neo-nazis, something political anyway. And that we don't know they're linked yet. Shooting could be an opportunist.

20-30 dead at the camp. Sad.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Can't say. They apprehended the shooter, he's in custody.

Report from TV2 saying the guy was a tall blonde guy. Not sure what you can glean from that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The 'group' claiming responsibilty alleged it was to do with Norway's 400 or so troops, in Afghanistan.

I believe that Norway's also been participating in the Libyan air strikes. You know, the ones intended to protect muslim civilians. Clearly the glorious mujaheddin feel this is a slight on their own abilities.

Still, it could also be neonazis or what have you. Forensic analysis will probably make a lot more clear. Be a few days if not weeks before they say anything. It'll be interesting to see if Norway behaves as openly as usual with this investigation.

BTW, don't let all the mess fool you. That's pretty normal for a big bomb. What's interesting is how some windows are unbroken. Maybe it didn't go off properly?

-Elwood Blues

From what I've gathered, the locations of the attacks make it seem a bit amateur I wouldn't be surprised if the aforementioned groups is responsible. Instead of going with a frontal attack to the targets of interests (which would have had a more devastating effect) they went with close buildings. Seems like a lukewarm involvement, not what I would consider your regular MO for your jihadists.

At any rate I can't help but feel that there is something off about these attacks.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It seems very likely that some Islami terrorgroup is behind this. We've gotten threats from "them" before for reasons already mentioned, plus we posted the danish Muhammed-pictures in our newspapers as well. There are no groups of "home grown loonies", as Gorgon put it, capable of something like this in Norway.

We thought the same about Oklahoma City. And even at trial people kept trying to link McVeigh to Islamic extremists.

But you're probably right, anyway.

Yeah good point. We'll just have to wait and see. Latest news is that 9-10 are dead on the island, and that there might have been more than one shooter.

Picture of the island where the shooting happened: utya.jpg

Edited by Thingolfin

"There are no groups of "home grown loonies", as Gorgon put it, capable of something like this in Norway."

Um.. you do realzie you only need 1 perosn to set off a bomb, right?

Anyways, condolescenes to the victim's and their families.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

They were something like a couple of hours apart. Attacking social democrats like that makes me more think neo-nazis, something political anyway. And that we don't know they're linked yet. Shooting could be an opportunist.

The social democrats are the prime minister's party, so their placement on the native political spectrum could well be moot. Apart from that, this is going to stir a lot things up here in the north, some ex colleagues of mine aren't going to spend a lot of time home this weekend... :rolleyes:

Also, info from the island is scarce because it's been trapped and they are still waiting for sappers to clear it. FUBAR.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

No links, since I'm getting this off Finnish media, but apparently the Norwegian popos are treating it as a local affair, and someone matching the description of the island shooter was seen getting off the car at ground 0 (so possibly solo).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Must be home grown loonies. I mean who else would care about Norway. Denmark is the one famed for the Mohamed drawings.

They likely picked Norway because security there would be lax compared to other European countries currently engaged in Libya and/or Afghanistan (and who've already been under direct or indirect terrorist threat). Frankly, it's a miracle nothing has happened yet in Brussels.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.