RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Joerg langer (the speaker) said, that it's some alpha build that *still* uses the original JA2 voice files. The *still* makes it sound as if it will change later.

In any case, character portraits are ugly as hell.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Joerg langer (the speaker) said, that it's some alpha build that *still* uses the original JA2 voice files. The *still* makes it sound as if it will change later.

Yeah, Scully did'nt much look like himself there. Neither does Shadow, Magic or anyone else really.

I don't like the notion of them getting other VA for the old characters, if they're going to redo it I hope they'll get the old ones atleast. Would be quite jarring otherwise for the few of us that still play JA2 1.13.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I think that trailer is actually pretty good as far as having the feel of the original.

But not completely sold on the game. SOme parts of it look decent, but iirc its a standard linear mission-based game which I usually find pretty dull.

The best part of Jagged Alliance 2 was its blend of tactical combat, strategic command, and dynamic non-linear campaign. With two of those three things missing not a lot to recommend it.

WHich affects the game how precisely?

WHy would anyone care?

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

WHich affects the game how precisely?

I can't look at the interface.

WHy would anyone care?

Not sure if serious.

And now please don't come with "graphic whore" and stuff. There is a difference between good graphic style and fugly shizzle that all looks the same crap and additionally is totally different than the original. If there wouldn't be "Shadow" or "DrQ" under these portraits, I would have never connected them. Same with most of the other AIM folks from the screenshot that is flying around in the internet.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

This isn't a Bioware game. The character portraits don't need to look like fashion models out on a photoshoot.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

What, where did I wrote that?

Check out JA2 portraits, check out JA Back in Action portraits, if you can't see the suckyness, I can't help.

aim+jagged+alliance+2.png

ja_backinaction_aim-soeldner.jpg

Edited by Lexx

That's... not good :grin:

Edit: I wonder if those heads aren't in game renders, rather than any attempt at emulating the originals?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

a pretty poor attempt, I must say

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

A veritable army of one.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What, where did I wrote that?

Check out JA2 portraits, check out JA Back in Action portraits, if you can't see the suckyness, I can't help.

Sure, there's a difference.

But who cares? Are there militia, mine income, a dynamic campaign?

I'm not buying the game because the character portraits are hot.

edit: I just looked at them a little more closely and they're not even that bad. They'll do the job well enough.

Edited by Slowtrain

And Lexx never implied that his eventual purchase rested on that feature, either, so why the hell are you even saying that in the first place?

I was just wondering why he would bring it up in the first place? What do character portraits have to do with a game being worth buying or even just good? Unless it's some kind of make-up simulator or something.

And Lexx never implied that his eventual purchase rested on that feature, either, so why the hell are you even saying that in the first place?

Surely you are familiar with the concept of trolling? :grin:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Surely you are familiar with the concept of trolling? :grin:

*shrug*

trolling wasn't my intention. it just bugged me to see a non AAA game criticized for appearance and presentation issues, especially for ones that have 0 affect on the gameplay. When you're dealing with non-AAA relases, they're never going to look as good as one might desire. I don't see any point in being critical of such things.

Funny that anyone would think he's trolling, or get so testy.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The portraits for me are a huge indicator of the personality of the game. Sure, Jagged Alliance 2 was amazing because of the strategic layers and the TB combat, but it was also dripping with personality. Each merc was unique, and that is what brought me back to it over and over again. In comparison, Silent Storm also had a great TB combat setup, but it wasn't a game I go back to every year.

I also don't see what the portraits really have to do with the budget. Sir-Tech managed those nice hand drawn portraits with a pretty small team. Did they not hire any artists for the game? The faces look like they were handled by an intern. "Ok, add a mustache to this guy and a helmet to this guy, and that will distinguish them."

Anyways, I would be plenty happy if the game was as entertaining as Silent Storm, although I have major concerns with the combat. I did think the trailer was pretty well done. But when you skimp on something like the portraits, you expose a lack of understanding about how important each individual merc is to Jagged Alliance.

We have to stare at those portraits during combat as well, they aren't just on the AIM screen.

The portraits for me are a huge indicator of the personality of the game. Sure, Jagged Alliance 2 was amazing because of the strategic layers and the TB combat, but it was also dripping with personality. Each merc was unique, and that is what brought me back to it over and over again. In comparison, Silent Storm also had a great TB combat setup, but it wasn't a game I go back to every year.

I also don't see what the portraits really have to do with the budget. Sir-Tech managed those nice hand drawn portraits with a pretty small team. Did they not hire any artists for the game? The faces look like they were handled by an intern. "Ok, add a mustache to this guy and a helmet to this guy, and that will distinguish them."

Aye, Deathtrack had better portraits, and it came out in 1989, with 4 guys on the team.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

you expose a lack of understanding about how important each individual merc is to Jagged Alliance.

This could very well be the case, and may be a huge problem with the game.

It also may be that the devs choose to spend their time elsewhere than the character portraits.

*shrug*

Since no one knows yet, seems pointless to criticize.

The overall presentation to me has seemed pretty good as far as keeping the feel of Jagged Alliance 2.

Truth is, yeah, the game will probably suck overall, but I figure I might as well keep an open mind.

What happened to us, man? You used to always be the negative yin to my positive yang. This whole open mind stuff is out of whack!

lol. yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing. It's a little freaky. >_<

@lexx: if my original post came off as harsh, I apologize. It wasn't meant that way. :)

This thread is trying to make me reinstall Jag 2.

crud.

I hate it when that happens >_<

This thread is trying to make me reinstall Jag 2.

crud.

I hate it when that happens >_<

There was a new 1.13 release a while ago... *Nudge*

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken