RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Locking this all down, means no Wii U, no PS4, no new Xbox, and no variation. It'd be like having one spec of PC, and one choice of OS and service - would you like that? I wouldn't like that personally as a user.

I look at it similarly to how I look at home movies. You can buy a Sony or a Panasonic Blu-Ray player, they still play all the same movies that get released. You don't have to worry about the movie you're looking forward to only being released on HD-DVD. You don't have to worry about whether the Blu-Ray version getting X deleted scene and the HD-DVD version getting Y behind the scene. Or try to figure out which versions has the slighty improved sound and which version is accidentally missing the cigarette burn at the end of reel 2.

I care more about the media competing than I care about the players competing. Obviously it's not the same situation. I'm just not really sure why it's not the same. And it'd be definitely nice to see the segregated networks gone.

"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black" - Henry Ford.

I think that the current iphone market describes where I think we'd end up.

I personally for the next generation of consoles want to see a large array of Arm processors clocked at a couple of gig, I'd love to see a 256 core machine, running an arm instruction set, but if one vendor went down that route I'd obviously want to see other take another route.

Alot like we've seen this generation, the X360 and PS3 are in some respects so close, yet in others so far apart its crazy. Can anyone here actually tell me which machine is better the X360 or the PS3? They both come up trumps but in totally different ways. They're stronger in different ways, which is why when you throw an exclusive at either platform you get some interesting results.

Killzone 3 is a wonderful looking game - I can't think of anything that comes close, yet many a comparison has shown that some games do not perform as well on the PS3 than on the X360. Its an interesting thing, one of the best looking console titles every to see the light of day is on what would assume to be the weaker hardware - That's not to say it is, but based on publically available emperical testing.

While I agree with your statement, its really about the media, I do like having the choice.

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I thought the reason many PS3 games perform relatively poorly is because very few programmers have really taken advantage of Cell with it being relatively easy to do an OK job but far more difficult (especially for a multi platform release) to do a well optimised one. I don't think it's an accident that you cited Killzone 3 which is a PS3 exclusive and hence will have been built more or less ground up for cell.

I personally for the next generation of consoles want to see a large array of Arm processors clocked at a couple of gig, I'd love to see a 256 core machine, running an arm instruction set, but if one vendor went down that route I'd obviously want to see other take another route.

ARM's great, but I couldn't see anyone going that route for a mainline console, yet.

And given that both Nintendo and Sony use ARM in their portables going for them might not be good for 'variation'.

I thought the reason many PS3 games perform relatively poorly is because very few programmers have really taken advantage of Cell with it being relatively easy to do an OK job but far more difficult (especially for a multi platform release) to do a well optimised one. I don't think it's an accident that you cited Killzone 3 which is a PS3 exclusive and hence will have been built more or less ground up for cell.

And I've thought that this is obvious. The best-looking PS3 games use a lot of fundamental approaches that wouldn't make sense on a different kind of hardware (I think the most common examples of this are SPU based deferred shading/lighting). OTOH, the gap between UE games on the two platforms has been closing fast over the past year, so I guess optimisations can be done to multiplatform engines as well...

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I doubt they are going to make a single console together.

More likely, MS has resolved that it's going to be using Blu-Ray and Sony items with it's next Console. AKA...MS has to use Sony, but Sony is still independant of MS.

Personally, I'd say screw the Blu-Ray format if I were MS and move totally to the Flash idea, move to cartridges with the ever expanding flash format. Up to 64 Gigs already, in a few years they'll be up to 256 which will be far more than any Blu-Ray could fit.

But I expect MS will use blu-ray instead...along with some other Sony proprieties, which is where the MS-Sony type website comes in perhaps.

Blu-ray =/= Sony, and I wouldn't be surprised if the xbox already had Sony components. Even if it didn't, it does have Samsung components, and I sure as hell can't see it written anywhere.

Blu-ray's currently up to 128gb. I doubt optical media will be replaced by anything else than direct downloads as a distribution method.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

...very few programmers have really taken advantage of Cell with it being relatively easy to do an OK job but far more difficult (especially for a multi platform release) to do a well optimised one.

Kind of true, its not so much that programmers don't take advantage of the cell. They do, they have to. The truth is more akin to the fact that basically lots of code gets ported to PS3 after the fact, so you're spot on with the optimisation comment.

The PS3 can end up getting "less love" from some developers. This is infact the wrong way to approach writing any multi/cross-platform engine, hitting the more complex architecture hard is the best route.

Here's a totally unrelated picture of Amber Heard.

amber-heard-07.jpg

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Here's a totally unrelated picture of Amber Heard.

she's a lesbian (not that I have a problem with that, just clarifying) :p

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Maxim is a magazine targeted at a male audience.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

What does that have to do with anything? The magazine isn't a dating service.

I find it ironic :brows:

Walsingham said:

What does that have to do with anything? The magazine isn't a dating service.

I find it ironic :brows:

I don't think it's even ironic as lipstick lesbians (and bisexuals) read softcore adult magazines as much as men do.

And to the complitely other news. I didn't see Dungeon Siege 3 in the last NPD top 10 list. And it was pathetic month anyway with L.A. Noire at the top with (only) 419.000 units sold. To be outside top 10 this week mean about 100k sales (one non-confirmed number game 90k units sold). Too bad for Obsidian but Dungeon Siege really is a crappy IP.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.