Beer

Tale

Being a fat old fart I like real ales.

When I remember I'm not grey haired yet I drink light, very hoppy ales. Usually IPAs.

As do I, but I assert, they pour it wrong in the south, THEY POUR IT WRONG!

????

I'm usually slavering like Pavlov's dog as soon as the pump starts to move. Far too excited to notice how it's being poured.

Everywhere down south is missing sparklers.

The concept that its all about serving less beer blah blah is wrong, much as with wine, or whisky its about oxygenation etc...

Much as I love ale, I am often disappointed when I place it to my lips, I've found one pub that does it right, and a few that pour it wrong but the ale is drinkable.

In all honesty, I can see why people drink maiden's water down in't south. Give me the rat and ratchet in Huddersfield any day of the week, best beer in the world, and more choice than you can wave a stick at.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

We dont get a whole lot of exported british ales in Sweden, so which of the most common brands would you guys recommend? I like ale that tastes A LOT, no mild stuff. And a ton of hops, it should be bitter enough to kill a moose.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

We dont get a whole lot of exported british ales in Sweden, so which of the most common brands would you guys recommend? I like ale that tastes A LOT, no mild stuff. And a ton of hops, it should be bitter enough to kill a moose.

Well it always depends what you're after... Some of my favourites:

Black Sheep Brewery

Brakspear

HOGS Back Brewery

There are more, but if you could get any of those you're in for a treat.

Not much of a fan of the stuff Young's brew, London Pride is crap.

I'll settle for a place that serves at the right temperature and keeps the abarrels right. Don't give me this oxygenation nonsense. Can't enjoy anything in life if you're that bloody picky.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

But I'd really like to know what is England's most popular beer for the English.

It used to be Fosters (an execrable Australian 'beer' brewed under licence in England presumably as some sort of revenge for slights real or imagined), at least by volume.

If there's one thing England does absolutely right it's the pub lunch and ale combo- nice crusty game pie or a proper ploughmans washed down with a real ale. Heaven.

I'll settle for a place that serves at the right temperature and keeps the abarrels right. Don't give me this oxygenation nonsense. Can't enjoy anything in life if you're that bloody picky.

The south just constantly disappoints me by being wrong.

Ale should be poured correctly.

It does mean that I don't enjoy drinking Ale as much as I once did that is a fact, and its not picky, its just the final part of the holy trinity.

Doesn't matter now, I've got my own personal sparkler.

The south just constantly disappoints me by being wrong.

Ale should be poured correctly.

It does mean that I don't enjoy drinking Ale as much as I once did that is a fact, and its not picky, its just the final part of the holy trinity.

Doesn't matter now, I've got my own personal sparkler.

Be fair. Most southerners live in a doomladen vortex of rush-hour traffic, office politics, and 24 hour celebrity news. Consequently their poor brains wouldn't recognise quality if it bit them with Sheffield steel teeth.

I understand that if government plans work out the North will be the same way in a few years.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Be fair. Most southerners live in a doomladen vortex of rush-hour traffic, office politics, and 24 hour celebrity news. Consequently their poor brains wouldn't recognise quality if it bit them with Sheffield steel teeth.

I understand that if government plans work out the North will be the same way in a few years.

While the North spends way too much time following Big Brother and Katie Price...

I'll have you know I ignore as much celebrity news as I can.. Although if you exchange office politics for family politics you might be closer....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

True enough, many a time I have simpley had the desire for a pint, and damned be if its good or bad, or whatever just give me my ale so I can may the throbbing hum in my head stop.

Well I've no problem with people being pushed back into work, but I think the concept of Northern folk as lazy is wrong, its actually all part of a legacy Thatcher started, you can't make that many people unemployed all at once and not expect a social impact. Some folk are stuck, and some folk have merely given up, want everything on a plate, and decended into decline.

I certainly grew up in a hard working family, with people who had little to no aspiration, but they always worked.

True enough, many a time I have simpley had the desire for a pint, and damned be if its good or bad, or whatever just give me my ale so I can may the throbbing hum in my head stop.

Well I've no problem with people being pushed back into work, but I think the concept of Northern folk as lazy is wrong, its actually all part of a legacy Thatcher started, you can't make that many people unemployed all at once and not expect a social impact. Some folk are stuck, and some folk have merely given up, want everything on a plate, and decended into decline.

I certainly grew up in a hard working family, with people who had little to no aspiration, but they always worked.

My point was more a cyncial despairing note about affluence than anything digging at Northern types. :lol:

-Elwood Blues

My point was more a cyncial despairing note about affluence than anything digging at Northern types. :lol:

Auto-defensive mode dude. I've had to put up with alot of, class bollocks from a bunch of privately educated douchebags since moving south.

Auto-defensive mode dude. I've had to put up with alot of, class bollocks from a bunch of privately educated douchebags since moving south.

Heh, I kind of had to put up with the reverse of that. A whole batch of Northeners who'd ended up at my university down south..and they spent a lot of time hassling the non-northeners about being effete slackers and class douchebags regardless of whether the people they hasled were from a good or bad background. I never could figure out why they all ended up down here if they hated the people so much, since there are some quite decent Universities up north.

Cultural wars do seem to go back and forth a lot without much reason behind them...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Blimey, do you have a chip on both shoulders? Please, try to escape the gravitational pull of sunny Guildford and return to that hot-bed of tolerance, economic and creative activity which is the North of England.

There you can attach yourself back to the teat of the state and die ridiculously early of heart disease or whatever.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Apology accepted. I am a privately educated douchebag, after all, so your error was natural.

NB. I really am, btw.

~~~

On the subject of the topic, up until relatively recently the school served a pint of stout with lunch to aid digestion and give the boys vitamins and iron. We were also (even in my day) furnished with a junior common room serving beer, ale, and cider.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

Blimey, do you have a chip on both shoulders? Please, try to escape the gravitational pull of sunny Guildford and return to that hot-bed of tolerance, economic and creative activity which is the North of England.

There you can attach yourself back to the teat of the state and die ridiculously early of heart disease or whatever.

I was thinking about leaving the sorry arse country perminantly, the impending Tory dictatorship frankly just pisses me right off.

Apology accepted. I am a privately educated douchebag, after all, so your error was natural.

NB. I really am, btw.

~~~

On the subject of the topic, up until relatively recently the school served a pint of stout with lunch to aid digestion and give the boys vitamins and iron. We were also (even in my day) furnished with a junior common room serving beer, ale, and cider.

Obviously I would say that everyone who is privately educated is a douche bag, good sir. What I would say is that its always been those of privilage who've brought it up, and now I just attack at first sight out of some sort of sense of self preservation.

In other news:

Waaaay back, we'd drinking nothing but beer at one time, small beer for sure, but the water was dangerious and the alcohol made it safe.

I live in the Portland, OR area. We have microbreweries coming out the hoo-hay here. I am quite spoiled in the sense that I have a selection of all sorts of fresh ale. Though I do not drink often, I enjoy a good wheat-ale on any occasion. I also like stout ale, such as Guinness and Porters, but I prefer them with food due to their strong taste, as Walsy so eloquently described, "It's a bit like drinking vodka laced chimney soot, while wrapped in the arms of a beautiful woman."

I live in the Portland, OR area. We have microbreweries coming out the hoo-hay here. I am quite spoiled in the sense that I have a selection of all sorts of fresh ale. Though I do not drink often, I enjoy a good wheat-ale on any occasion. I also like stout ale, such as Guinness and Porters, but I prefer them with food due to their strong taste, as Walsy so eloquently described, "It's a bit like drinking vodka laced chimney soot, while wrapped in the arms of a beautiful woman."

Having lived in Bend, OR. I'd say it ain't bad stuff that microbreweries stuff, The ale tends to be fizzy though, which is to say, its not really ale, as much as dark larger... But I do like it.

Fat Tire, and Deschutes river woods stout were good far as I recall.

Which reminds me, my trip to Vancouver earlier this year introduced me to: Keith's Amber

Still, despite the fine quality of all these beer's, I'd take a southern pint over 'em all.

I'm going to Bend, OR, in a few weeks, and I plan on doing the tour of the 8 local breweries. My wife will be handling the transportation :)

I really should pop back at some point and say "Hi" to the place, but its several thousand miles, and not exactly a cheap endevour.