RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Yea, the Western theme is the reason why I held myself off but I'd put RDR to my sale-waiting list, too. Too many games to play... :thumbsup:

As for the integration, actually, I'm wondering which would benefit convenience from the integration or freedom of choices and market competition from the variety. Memory consumption of Win 95 series was terrible and the integration between OS and browser helped malware damage many people's data, for example.

just coming in here to say ?!? re people's thoughts on westerns...

if you have not seen:

1. once upon a time in the west

AND

2. the good the bad and the ugly

then you clearly have not seen enough western films to have formed an opinion of them.

its like saying you don't like samurai movies but you've never seen seven samurai or yojimbo...

other insanely good westerns:

unforgiven

the wild bunch

also westerns being an american thing? the two best westerns of all time were italian productions. not american.

Kidding right? Call me when you have seen High Noon.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Is RDR an open-world game?

It's like GTA I heard. I might get bored of it afterall.

Is it more corny 60s Western style or more "modern", a 'la The Proposition, True Grit remake etc?

It's a mix of everything but most of the inspiration IMO comes from Leone's and later Clint Eastwood movies.

As for you getting bored, well you will eventually but you have to try it. Maybe you'll even play horseshoes/poker/blackjack/... all day like i did. :thumbsup: IT IS NOT IN ANY WAY A MASTERPIECE THOUGH.

and you before me, don't argue about best westerns. There's plenty of them. Each decade had at least 1 and that might be an understatement. :)

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Yeah, based on that bridge of example that seems really, really forced.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Rainbow Six has morality

Could be...something, I guess.

It seems like a version of "Trolley Problem", which one of Obsidian designers brought up while back. It is designed to cause ethical dilemma but I wonder if it can be presented in a way to make a coherent story with convincing themes to the players without letting them feel that it's just a one-shot experimental device or a mere superficial gimmick in a nut shell. Bioware, for example, use the "Prisoner's dilemma," at times but the usage feels superficial since it doesn't find a place in their "morality" system. To be fair, in Bioshock's case, the "moral" issue was pretty simplified, too. Rather, it's the atmosphere what was successful in that game.

just coming in here to say ?!? re people's thoughts on westerns...

if you have not seen:

1. once upon a time in the west

AND

2. the good the bad and the ugly

then you clearly have not seen enough western films to have formed an opinion of them.

its like saying you don't like samurai movies but you've never seen seven samurai or yojimbo...

other insanely good westerns:

unforgiven

the wild bunch

also westerns being an american thing? the two best westerns of all time were italian productions. not american.

Kidding right? Call me when you have seen High Noon.

i've seen high noon several times, its a great movie. its not THE best western though, its probably somewhere around number 9 or 10 imo. you really liked it better than once upon a time in the west?

edit: mostly off the top of my head, these are probably my current favorite westerns (i havent seen rio grande, or any version of true grit, as well as a several other classics)

once upon a time in the west

the good the bad and the ugly

unforgiven

ox bow incident

the wild bunch

the searchers

stagecoach

red river

high noon

the magnificent seven

hombre

butch cassidy and the sundance kid

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i think its one of those "the playstation 2 is halfway through it's life cycle" - quoted 3 months AFTER the release of the playstation 3...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

unforgiven

ox bow incident

the wild bunch

the searchers

stagecoach

red river

high noon

the magnificent seven

hombre

That's a great list. But you're missing at least three.

Rio Bravo: All time classic western of the highest order. One of Waynes best. And Dean Martin is freaking brilliant.

The Outlaw Josey Wales: With due apologies to TGTBATU, and Unforgiven, to my mind Eastwood's best.

Joe Kidd: Not an epic classic, but a stripped down small scale piece of grit that is always a pleasure to watch, even if FIck Van Patten does give me hives.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

yeah i havent seen any of those, probably why they aren't on my list :thumbsup:

they are all in my netflix queue, i'll probably get around to them at some point in the next year.

i've also been wanting to watch the stewart-mann collaborations, but haven't gotten to any of them yet either.

and, while not a western per se, Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia is an awesome movie (slow start, but stick with it) with many western themes, just a more modern setting.

movie lists are fun, i should write up my favorite zombie and samurai movies sometime.

;)

I've seen an embarassingly large number of zombie films.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Major hell in EVE now. Devs apparently plan to have micro-transactions for ships, ammo, etc. rather than just vanity items from a leaked internal newsletter, people are mightily pissed off. Lots of "This is EVE's NGE moment", etc.

Hrmm.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Major hell in EVE now. Devs apparently plan to have micro-transactions for ships, ammo, etc. rather than just vanity items from a leaked internal newsletter, people are mightily pissed off. Lots of "This is EVE's NGE moment", etc.

Hrmm.

What's so bad about it? They should think of it as easy money. This will bring a bunch of 'noobs' with nice ships and cargo with no idea what they are doing.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Well, according to the Kotaku article, they're charging 68 dollars for a monocle.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That's the vanity items. But people are worried that based on the internal discussions, you can buy Tech3 ships and equipment for dollars rather than working for the ISK to get it. Also, that kind of stuff is just out of thin air in the game universe, which goes against EVE's whole player run economy (sort of anyway) aspect.

Edited by Malcador

i

i've seen high noon several times, its a great movie. its not THE best western though, its probably somewhere around number 9 or 10 imo. you really liked it better than once upon a time in the west?

edit: mostly off the top of my head, these are probably my current favorite westerns (i havent seen rio grande, or any version of true grit, as well as a several other classics)

unforgiven

ox bow incident

the wild bunch

the searchers

stagecoach

red river

high noon

the magnificent seven

hombre

Ahem, YOU FORGOT DJANGO.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Hm, and out of the blue Lucasarts and Sony have announced that they'll be ending Star Wars Galaxies this December.. :shifty:

I hadn't even realised that was still running...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."