Feedback from other forums

Hmmm... I haven't played Titan Quest, but I've heard a lot about it. Can you tell me what about it you didn't like?

Hmm, where to start...

Whereas the other games put you into a rather find super cool weapons and armor...this game has it where the super weapons and stuff aren't as random nor as frequent.

It stated that the monsters would drop their gear, and this is true...but what they have is what they drop...which means I get ten thousand rusty swords at the start (slight exaggeration) for every mystical one or upgraded one I get. The leveling doesn't really hit as significant as Diablo (it's DEEPER and MORE INTENSE fans will say), but didn't strike me in any way.

However, the biggest sin...and this is the REAL reason...is because it was boring. I can't really say why it was boring. A lot of the Diablo Copycats are boring, even if they have all the telltale signs such as item drops, the similar leveling, etc. I got bored within the first three hours, and I kept pressing on hoping that it would get better. It didn't. It was sooooo very boring to play that I really had to say it was a waste of time. The same would go for other Diablo clones I played such as throne of Darkness, Nox...etc.

Most Diablo thrones don't impress me much. I didn't even like the original Sacred (though Sacred 2 was okay on the PS3 simply because it was so sandbox, but otherwise was also rather boring). In truth the only ones that I enjoyed I listed above, simply because somehow they replicated fun...while most clones don't.

Hmmm... I haven't played Titan Quest, but I've heard a lot about it. Can you tell me what about it you didn't like?

Hmm, where to start...

Whereas the other games put you into a rather find super cool weapons and armor...this game has it where the super weapons and stuff aren't as random nor as frequent.

It stated that the monsters would drop their gear, and this is true...but what they have is what they drop...which means I get ten thousand rusty swords at the start (slight exaggeration) for every mystical one or upgraded one I get. The leveling doesn't really hit as significant as Diablo (it's DEEPER and MORE INTENSE fans will say), but didn't strike me in any way.

However, the biggest sin...and this is the REAL reason...is because it was boring. I can't really say why it was boring. A lot of the Diablo Copycats are boring, even if they have all the telltale signs such as item drops, the similar leveling, etc. I got bored within the first three hours, and I kept pressing on hoping that it would get better. It didn't. It was sooooo very boring to play that I really had to say it was a waste of time. The same would go for other Diablo clones I played such as throne of Darkness, Nox...etc.

Most Diablo thrones don't impress me much. I didn't even like the original Sacred (though Sacred 2 was okay on the PS3 simply because it was so sandbox, but otherwise was also rather boring). In truth the only ones that I enjoyed I listed above, simply because somehow they replicated fun...while most clones don't.

Huh, I see. Thanks. =)

The bug exists regardless of platform

sure, because there's no difference whatsoever in code for PS3 and PC, right? riiiight

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The bug exists regardless of platform

sure, because there's no difference whatsoever in code for PS3 and PC, right? riiiight

:lol:

No, it shows that the bug is something within the software independent of the OS/Console/ect. It clearly and unequivocally runs in the face of what you are trying to pretend is the explanation/excuse.

let's go back to Obsidian for a moment :lol:

in all my time with their games, not a single one had serious bugs. this tells me what? the majority of people are, a) playing their games on consoles and are punished for it, b) run a pretty ****ty OS

so, yeah, whenever I hear that somebody is having problems with NV, KOTORII or NWN2 etc. it just makes me laugh. actually, the only place I keep hearing about Obsidz' bad rep at is this very community :)

It's nice that you live on another planet, but some Obsidian's games have had some pretty serious and easy to reproduce bugs across the board and not necessarily just on console. Example? Alpha Protocol and the reload and enemies disappear bug. Granted, Dungeon Siege III seems to be pretty bug-free, so that's definitely a plus.

yeah i had that bug.

it was in a mission where you had to protect this transmitter/decoder device in a large courtyard. the enemies didnt spawn after a while, and restarting caused them to not appear at all.

ist a known bug aswell, listed on wikis and forums everywhere. i had to look it up, because i was stuck completely.

but apart from that i didnt get any other bugs of note in alpha protocol.

fallout new vegas.... now that one is rife with them.

neverwinter nights 2 had loads. and lots of complaints about the interface, which they patched after loads of complaints. (camera controls if i recall. they were just crap at the start)

The relatively higher frequency of fun items in TQ was one of the main reasons I liked the game in the first place. Having drop rates that aren't 0.00001% is a refreshing change of pace from Diablo.

The leveling wasn't particularly deep, it was just better made than Diablo 2's in terms of less redundant skill design, etc.

The boredom thing... well, subjectivity is subjective. I found it fun. It's difficult to pinpoint what details make you find a game fun or unfun; from my perspective, TQ was mostly an improvement over Diablo 2 in most ways.

High tier skills largely replacing replace lower tier skills. The worst offender was probably the Sorceress cold skills tree. One of the worst holdovers from RPG when it comes to the ARPG genre, IMO.

I will grant though that Diablo 2 didn't suffer from this too much, especially after patches came out. Once the utility of many of the lower level skills was figured out, a lot were valuable as one point wonders; the massive imbalances of higher tier items and synergies allowed you to build a successful character around any skill. And ultimately the game was easy enough that you could beat the whole thing untwinked with a poison dagger necromancer. But... those are fringe scenarios for the very rich or for the people with a ton of time on their hands.

I don't believe that you should waste development time on skills that are meant to be phased out because something cooler is on the way. Why did you bother designing the crappy skill in the first place, why even allow investing in it if a single point in Frozen Orb will make the 20 you put in Ice Bolt a complete and total waste? It might work as a pacing thing through Normal difficulty mode, but its downright toxic for a game that is meant to be replayed hundreds of times with a different character/build.

Edited by toastification

It's all about the synergy bonuses, brah.

Aye. Those didn't come until later patches, though. When they did they breathed new life into that game... Probably one of the best patches a game has ever had, in my own personal opinion. =P

Synergies were a poor fix. They jumbled the builds/balance quite a bit, made investment in lower skills worthwhile, even made a few lower level skills rather very powerful; but they didn't address the core problem.

Eh, I disagree. Granted, they could have done much better I think (and balanced out the characters more evenly), but play the game without the patches and tell me if it's nearly as fun (it isn't for me, at least). Besides, there are very few RPGs that altered the core game as much as D2's patches (at least as far as official patches go).

Edited by hopfrog16

Well, I agree that the patches were "great" and changed the game for the better; I just don't agree that they solved the problem in question. The boring filler skills remained boring filler skills that now doubled as boring damage boosting passives. To truly fix it you need a redesign of the skills themselves.

Edited by toastification

Well, I agree that the patches were "great" and changed the game for the better; I just don't agree that they solved the problem in question. The boring filler skills remained boring filler skills that now doubled as boring damage boosting passives. To truly fix it you need a redesign of the skills themselves.

Hmmm... That's a good point. I guess that's why players made mods like Eastern Sun, then (which in my opinion is much better than DS2 by itself). =)