Feedback from other forums

The demo gave me a very good impression of gameplay and mechanics. Now I only need to know whether the story and writing beyond the demo gets better, if this is confirmed, I'll buy it day 1.
It's as confirmed as it can get I think.

The demo gave me a very good impression of gameplay and mechanics. Now I only need to know whether the story and writing beyond the demo gets better, if this is confirmed, I'll buy it day 1.

Yes, you'll be hearing Jeyne Kassynder around 5,913,713 more times. Enjoy.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Gee, if the demo can't give an accurate representation of the game, maybe Obsidian shouldn't be releasing them?

*sigh*

Demos give you a representation of what gameplay will be like. It'll also give you a broad idea about one or two of the kind of quests you will see. But a demo will also be limited to what those areas open to the demo show you. Depending on which quest or which map the developers have decided to show the public, you may or may not actually be seeing how open the world is, how in-depth the quests are, or how many choices and consequences are actually available to you in the main game.

Like in my KOTOR II example, is Peragus' cloistered atmosphere and lack of NPCs to interact with an exact representation of the rest of the game? Snarky responses aside, it is not. After Peragus, the player has more freedom to move about, runs into way, way more NPCs to interact with, etc. But in terms of giving people an idea what the a]gameplay is like and b]an idea of what kind of quests you might see, Peragus would be the kind of level that would be available for the demo. But again, to reiterate, if someone were to base their entire opinion on Peragus as how the rest of the game plays out, they'd be wrong, no?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Gee, if the demo can't give an accurate representation of the game, maybe Obsidian shouldn't be releasing them?

*sigh*

Demos give you a representation of what gameplay will be like. It'll also give you a broad idea about one or two of the kind of quests you will see. But a demo will also be limited to what those areas open to the demo show you. Depending on which quest or which map the developers have decided to show the public, you may or may not actually be seeing how open the world is, how in-depth the quests are, or how many choices and consequences are actually available to you in the main game.

Like in my KOTOR II example, is Peragus' cloistered atmosphere and lack of NPCs to interact with an exact representation of the rest of the game? Snarky responses aside, it is not. After Peragus, the player has more freedom to move about, runs into way, way more NPCs to interact with, etc. But in terms of giving people an idea what the a]gameplay is like and b]an idea of what kind of quests you might see, Peragus would be the kind of level that would be available for the demo. But again, to reiterate, if someone were to base their entire opinion on Peragus as how the rest of the game plays out, they'd be wrong, no?

From what I've heard from pirates and knaves is that the demo is exactly like the rest of the game, sans instant revive. So if you didn't like the demo; you probably won't like the game.

And my point was that if it's not possible to show the game accurately in a demo, explore other options of marketing.

You were the one complaining about people writing the game off after just playing the demo, the failure there is on Obsidian's part not those peoples'

From what I've heard from pirates and knaves is that the demo is exactly like the rest of the game, sans instant revive. So if you didn't like the demo; you probably won't like the game.
"Unplayable" controls and lack of keymapping, yes.

You can't trust pirates. Not after the Titan Quest debacle.

You were the one complaining about people writing the game off after just playing the demo, the failure there is on Obsidian's part not those peoples'

Most complains of that sort aren't about people writing off the game, but more about them judging it and spreading the word as if they had played the full game :* .

Tell me more!

Most complains of that sort aren't about people writing off the game, but more about them judging it and spreading the word as if they had played the full game :* .

You'll get those people no matter what and with every game.

As for the Iron Lore Titan Quest thing, that was a hilarious backfire indeed.

Can't trust pirates entirely, obviously, but the complaints I've heard haven't been about bugs; more about the corridor map design, stilted dialogue and bland talents/ loot.

Titan Quest / Iron Lore should not have suffered the fate it did. Best Diablo style since Diablo.

Though, I would have to disagree with that escapist posted rant; the game did suffer from a crippling technical design flaw that made many well maintained and above recommended specs PCs suffer from an annoying form of lag dubbed "rubber banding."

Edited by toastification

No matter : you don't trust pirates. You don't give opinions out of a pirated copies, bar exceptional cases. You don't trust people who may be didn't go farther than the demo and yet claim they played the entire game.

I don't really know much, I just read that old article on The Escapist :

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...About-Iron-Lore

I wish companies would put more traps like that in their games and then bust everyone comes out and whines about the trap "bug" :*

I wish more companies would sabotage their sales and be the engineers of their own demise.

Edited by Purkake

I wish more companies would sabotage their sales and be the engineers of their own demise.

You know, you can make it more subtle. Like it doesn't crash the whole game. Just some weird *** bug that would stand out and people would react to it, that would make them go to the forums, post and get caught. Wouldn't work for long, but it would teach some stupid pirates a lesson :*

Edited by Flouride

Hate the living, love the dead.

You know, you can make it more subtle. Like it doesn't crash the whole game. Just some weird *** bug that would stand out and people would react to it, that would make them go to the forums, post and get caught.

All this gets you is horrible PR.

Any copy protection has to make it clear that whatever it's doing is caused by it. Any copy protection has false positives and companies are in the business of maximizing profits, not pranking pirates.

I don't really know much, I just read that old article on The Escapist :

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...About-Iron-Lore

I wish companies would put more traps like that in their games and then bust everyone comes out and whines about the trap "bug" :*

Rocksteady did the same with Arkham Asylum, IIRC.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Any copy protection has to make it clear that whatever it's doing is caused by it. Any copy protection has false positives and companies are in the business of maximizing profits, not pranking pirates.

Yes, only if one/few companies does it. But let's say all of the big publishers team up on this, since it's safe to say they are all losing money because of piracy.

Even then it would only help them catch a very small amount of pirates, the really stupid ones. And it would be business as usual for the rest of he pirate "scene".

Rocksteady did the same with Arkham Asylum, IIRC.

Aye, I remember reading something about the player dropped into a gas that kills you. But I think you could still get past it. Can't really remember how it worked out since it's been almost 2 years since I've read about it.

Yes, only if one/few companies does it. But let's say all of the big publishers team up on this, since it's safe to say they are all losing money because of piracy.

Even then it would only help them catch a very small amount of pirates, the really stupid ones. And it would be business as usual for the rest of he pirate "scene".

Catch as in ban from their forums? They'll just the the new crack the next day and it'll be business as usual.

Didn't you say a few hours ago you wanted MORE companies?

Huh?

Anyway, I was sarcastically mocking Flouride's post.