Feedback from other forums

Is that Gamefaqs?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"Was Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 this linear? I can't remember."

Yes, pretty much. I think there wasn't even any quest in DS1 (that I do remember). You just follow a long, linear path until you see the games credits screen.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

"Was Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 this linear? I can't remember."

Yes, pretty much. I think there wasn't even any quest in DS1 (that I do remember). You just follow a long, linear path until you see the games credits screen.

That may be true, but at least it had a sense of openness, this game is very narrow compared to DS1. Also the MP world in DS1 was far less linear.

No. It had no sense of openness. Not at all, because you only moved forward in a corridor with strictly closed / walled paths. As far as I could see in some DS3 videos, there seem to be at least some parts of the game where you do not follow a straight corridor line.

The MP world of DS1 was linear as well, with the difference of there being more hub locations with corridors in different directions.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

You are wrong, the originals were nowhere near this linear and confined. There were large open spaces, interconnecting areas, large hidden under ground dungeons, and in general the maps felt much more organic and had more to explore.

I already posted the maps (including one with scale) in a different thread, but if you want I can here as well. The FACT is what we see in DS3 is much more linear and narrow then what was in the originals.

post-31873-1307612594_thumb.png

Look at all the positive response!!!!

Vocal minority which does not represent the majority who enjoyed the demo (except for the control issues) judging by the polls I've seen on a few forums.

Just curious...which forums? I visit quite a few gaming forums and almost all of them most people seem to be pretty disappointed with the game. Could be most forums I visit are PC gaming specific though...

Edited by Renevent

i havent played DS1 and DS2 so u can take my input with a huge chuck of salt but i remember from the 1 hour gameplay segment with reinhart that the maps CAN be more like a maze with different paths to take. the demo is linear, yes, but i can see how potentially the later maps WILL be slightly more open.

I am not whining, just getting tired of all the revisionism going on in this forum.

It's hardly revisionism when the majorty of people who've played the demo genuinely enjoyed it.

I'm not talking about people enjoying the demo...everyone is free to enjoy or not enjoy the demo as they see fit. I actually thought the demo was ok myself...some parts of it were even fun. That doesn't mean I thought it was amazing though or that I don't have legitimate complaints.

Edited by Renevent

I am not whining, just getting tired of all the revisionism going on in this forum.

It's hardly revisionism when the majorty of people who've played the demo genuinely enjoyed it.

Evidence? If thats true, then great, but from what I've heard people hate it more than love it. Take a look at some of the other forums, sans gamefaqs and Obsidians.

There's really no 'evidence' for anyone to say people who liked or hated the game are 'revisionist'. In fact, I suspect.... that people blasting the game genuinely didn't like it, and those defending it... genuinely liked it! :shifty:

Boggles the mind, I know.

Again, the revisionist comment wasn't about people who liked/disliked the demo...it was regarding the map in the originals vs DS3 (at least in the demo). And yes, for this particular issue there is evidence.

Edited by Renevent

There's really no 'evidence' for anyone to say people who liked or hated the game are 'revisionist'. In fact, I suspect.... that people blasting the game genuinely didn't like it, and those defending it... genuinely liked it! :shifty:

Boggles the mind, I know.

I'm going to take this with a grain of salt, given how everyone thats voiced any complaints has been accused of trolling/ being the same account/ whining etc. My assumption would be that feedback would be taken into account for later patches/ dlc whathaveyou.

I agree, it's silly to accuse people of being disingenious just becuase they think the game is poor. Equally, I think it's silly that people that did like the game are painted as fanboys that are either brainwashed or lying. Whether you loved or hated the game, I think it's worth remembering that what you think makes a good game and how you experience a game is just that, you.

That said, I don't think this kind of "hey look, see, this is proof I am right and the game will fail and you are wrong" stuff helps either the discussion or the argument. I can get you truckloads of negative, angry threads for any game under the sun. If the game is really destined to bomb or kick arse, we will see from sales numbers, reviews and word of mouth in a couple of weeks as the game is released. Before that, we can discuss our varying experiences with the demo. What really is the pointi n scrounging for scraps of data just to say "I are right"?

The problem is some of the fans are being disingenuous (regarding specific issue brought up) and these are not matters opinion...but rather measurable differences that are provable. That doesn't mean that it's inherently bad or good (either way), however, the claims themselves are factually incorrect/disingenuous.

Perhaps someone likes more linear/focused/confined game maps as they feel it moves the action forward and lets them focus on gameplay (or whatever)...that's a perfectly valid view point and anyone is welcomed to it. The problem (and the revisionism) arises when they claim it's the same as the older games. It's absolutely not.

Edited by Renevent

I just know what I remember from DS1, which I played a lot years ago. It was a slow, boring, linear non-clickfest in which you only progress forward in the maps and never go back to some place.

I just know what I remember from DS1, which I played a lot years ago. It was a slow, boring, linear non-clickfest in which you only progress forward in the maps and never go back to some place.

Your memory is mistaken (regarding maps). Your opinions regarding if it was boring/clickfest/ect is fine and your own.

Correct. Somehow I still enjoyed the game (although it took longer to complete than most games due to boredom). I think the pretty settings and beautiful music of DS1 somehow sucked me in. DS2 lacked these things but made it for it with a much stronger plot and more RPG elements.

An interesting feedback coming from the Something Awful boards :

Having finally played the demo (After previously playing much more :ssh: ) it's almost like a completely different game. Losing the sidequests, the interesting conversations, stopping it right as it starts getting good... I mean, I love you guys, but I think you showed what's probably the slowest and least interesting part of the story's build-up, and then somehow made it worse by cutting a lot of the retail version's stuff.

The PC control thing I can't say anything for, because I did all mine on the PS3 and thought the controls were butter-smooth with a controller, but in terms of the combat and the pace and the JAYNE KASSYNDER and everything, It gets a lot, and I mean a lot better after the point where the demo ends. I just couldn't figure out where all the bad reviews were coming from until I put some time into the demo-restricted version, and I don't think it does a good job of showing just how fun the game can be at all.