FO: NV (DLCS) Discussion

Your criticism then, is threefold:

1) You complain that the painting of light and dark in Mask of the Betrayer was simplistic. Then immediately recognise that this is a function of the setting. It was epic level characters in an epic setting, travelling between planes made from pure good and pure evil. Talking to a being infested with pretty much pure evil.

2) Your objection to Dog/God is that his style of exposition was weak. I ask again what you expect by way of dialogue with a schizophrenic super mutant?

3) You object to maudlin introspection. In my experience people who have been through a lot are quite given to introspection, once they open up. I doubt they'd do so while fending off scads of ghost people. But when else are they going to do it in a game?

~~

So far you're sole purpose appears to be to assert an intellectual superiority over both the writers and the people who enjoy the writing, simply because you feel a nebulous attachment to some other form of writing. You do so by exploiting the old lie that video games aren't art and can't be because gamers play them. AND you've done so in a style which only indicates more self-elevation above us hoi polloi who grub around in plain English.

I'm annoyed because it's insulting to people who are actually reading this thread, and whose work I respect. Which is merely rude. But the thought that you might actually convince them they're doing something wrong merely to serve your ego is completely appalling.

wow. am actually kinda amazed that you were able to misrepresent us with all of your enumerated points. get points for the trifecta at least.

oh, and if your feelings got hurt 'cause we suggested that some o' chrisA characters and writing is cartoony and overwritten, then we feels more than a little pity for you. we was quite happy to keep this thread limited to game content and opinions regarding writing, but if you is gonna accuse us o' character flaws simply 'cause we voice an opinion different than yours, then we suggest you disconnect from the internet and move somewhere north o' the arctic circle where you need only concern yourself with the poor table etiquette o' polar bears. grow up. really.

btw, our criticisms regarding game writing were far more limited than those o' mr. sawyer. we noted that in spite o' the fact that chrisA indulges in the maudlin introspection and cheap exposition from time to time, he has also written our favorite game and our favorite crpg character. josh, on the other hand, suggested that the entire class o' crpg gamers is having very low standards for writing, and that writing in the genre is similarly low as a result.

HA! Good Fun!

ps what about the god/dog character suggested to you that he were schizophrenic? perhaps we missed something. we saw no signs o' schizophrenic behavior. god did not actual think he were god, and we don't recall hallucinations. also, it were suggested that the split in the god/dog personalities were the result o' trauma. schizophrenia is not resulting from trauma.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Besides the difference of the styles of Hemingway and Faulkner, who even required a "handbook" to be "discovered," I came across another example for that content can contain more than its presentation. I recently watched an anime called the Girl Who Leapt Through Time to find out that it's quite a good work. While it can be enjoyed by children, it's quite obvious that it must be influenced by Heidegger. In fact, I think it's one of interesting cases where a presentation doesn't need to appear sophisticated. Well, talking of that, the readers don't need to have read Poetics to enjoy the Name of the Rose.

Lots and lots of explosions.

Now that looks like my kind of "DLC".

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

What was the name of that Japanese movie that was a take on Foucault's Pendulum. Friends from school, world domination conspiracy theory.. this time with giant robots of course.
Of course, as well as games, not depending on their origins, quite many major movies are just for show-businesses since money need to be earned more than their costs to keep things going on, but it's the very point here. Even in such circumstances, some works have some quality. So, while I understand Sawyer's point that publishers tend not to show interests in investing on content, it may still be possible to make a work with good ideas. The obvious draw-back is that RPGs often require a lot of texts and they need sheer man-power in this area, though. Well, I have already mentioned most of these but I think I needed to be clear, judging from your reaction.

Lots and lots of explosions.

Well,

explosions

...the existence of the show-biz factor doesn't necessarily deny other content, does it...hopefully? :thumbsup:

What was the name of that Japanese movie that was a take on Foucault's Pendulum. Friends from school, world domination conspiracy theory.. this time with giant robots of course.

I can think of several that would fit the description.

20th Century Boys maybe?

That's the one.

PS: I don't get the point of age verification that anyone can bypass with ease. I want those 20 seconds of my life back.

It's a legal requirement. At least for the US.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That's the one.

PS: I don't get the point of age verification that anyone can bypass with ease. I want those 20 seconds of my life back.

I don't understand why Steam, which has my age in my profile, still makes me verify it all the time.

That's the one.

I don't understand why Steam, which has my age in my profile, still makes me verify it all the time.

It's something about the law. Someone asked the question pretty much like you commented. And a Valve employee responded on their forums with "It's a legal requirement."

So, maybe they're not allowed to use that stored data. Or they have to check every time.

I'd like to remind everyone that i've been answering 11/11/1918 to all those queries. This is my coded message that regulators should grow up and concentrate on more important issues, and look to our future. Rather than pretending those age checks do anything whatsoever.

EDIT: And I meant to say that we should ALL do the same answer.

When EVERYONE is answering 11.11.1918 to everything maybe the point will be made.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Speaking of Great Wars, is it just me, or is the final battle at Hoover Damn getting increasingly silly with every DLC?

I strongly encourage Obsidian to consider adding in more dimensions to the battle, including maybe some tactical choices actually inside the damn. Do you have to sacrifice allies? Do you need to move against rising water? Rads? What if some gigantic supermutant was wedged in one of the side tunnels and woke up. ANYTHING.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No more Legion if that's the case. :thumbsup:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

A character with high intelligence and science skill should be able to redirect the missile at the Capital Wasteland. :rolleyes:

Good idea. We can kill Three Dog's grandchildren.

-Elwood Blues

I hope they got "I don't want to set the world on fire." That would be satisfactory.