Witcher 2

Some information for those wondering about imports. I imported a game from the ending of The Witcher last night. I had Raven's Armor, G'valchir, Gwalhir, and the Moon Blade.

Importing this save, I had Gwalhir, the Moon Blade, and Raven's Armor in my inventory. Sadly, the Gwalhir is listed as common and is the weaker of my two steel swords. I'm going to test out importing a game without Gwalhir equipped to see if that lets me carry over G'valchir.

Edit: Others are reporting that G'valchir doesn't import at all.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Doh. I think I finished the game with 2 G'valchirs. I took one from the Huntsman, because my steel sword was weaker than my silver one at the time, and I didn't realize that the dentist would give me another one when I gave him the boxer's tooth.

hahahahaha

I think that, if you only G'valchir, it'll just give you something else. I cannot confirm that.

Took me forever to remember my Steam password. I need to write these things down in a book.

Heh, is it true that if you play on easy, the girls in the game ignore Geralt and make mocking comments when his back is turned?

I play on easy (they should have called them normal-hard-insane-utter masochist) and I havent noticed anything.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Beware, if you accidentally hit it to insane, you can't reload your game (as Don Jag's found out a few nights ago when trying to set it back to easy)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I think the game is pretty good, but boss fights are too difficult for people that don't play a lot of action games. I just tried four times the first boss fight without success on easy difficulty and may have to stop completly the game at the first act.

If that is the case, I would be disappointed by that. It's not fun to get older and to have less good coordination. But does that mean that I can thus not enjoy anymore a good rpg ? I thought easy difficulty was the solution for that, bt not in the boss fights.

I'm just sad.

Orchomene four reloads = ten, max fifteen minutes of your time. I wouldn't be too discouraged.

After nearly making it several times on Normal with my crap FPS I tried Easy, I thought it is fairly forgiving in the sense that you can take a lot of beating before dying, especially if you use Quen. I guess the problem would be if

you were having hard time trapping it with Yrden in the first place, dragging out the inevitable death. In that case what you could do is wait till 2 Vigour, then use Quen, Yrden, then stand in that spot.... guarantees the tentacle to get trapped, and you won't lose health. You could even do that without Quen.

Still can't beat the best arm wrestler in Flotsam due to mouse lag, and may have to give up on that.

Played a little more The Witcher 2. But I guess I'm anxious. I think I'll do a restart tomorrow. Can't get into it right now.

Still can't beat the best arm wrestler in Flotsam due to mouse lag, and may have to give up on that.

Yeah, I wonder what's going on with the mouse in there. It doesn't seem to be a performance problem, though. Maybe the wobbly controls are done on purpose?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I suspected it was wobbly even before the mouse lag, yes. I'm fine with that - the fist-fighting minigame is way too easy, and the dice poker isn't too hard either. I like how the fist fighting is simple yet you still need to work for every win. With 10fps, though, you can't slip up for even half a second - the moment I move the cursor back it will keep sliding for 3 seconds before I can jerk it back, it's like trying to iceskate on your arse and the floor is spinning.

Well, yesterday evening, I was a bit drunk so I have maybe overreacted on the failure. I will try thi week end if I have some time to play. Nonetheless, I hate boss fights in general. I don't even understand why every rpg designer always puts those kind of action tropisms in his games.

I've figured out that combat is basically "hit and run" with your signs and sword.... I've JUST gotten to act 1 so take it as you will but basically I've been running around with aard and then hitting somebody as they're charging me. Roll away, if he's stunned get the quick auto-kill.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Well you've picked the single strategy most dependent on hit-and-run in the game, so of course you'll be hittin' and runnin'. :shifty: There is a lot of kiting in the game no matter what though. On Hard and above Quen seems to be the way to go, at least until Axii becomes more reliable.

The prologue is much harder than the rest of the game, imo. Once you upgrade your abilities so you can block attacks from all directions and take no damage from it, it's not so hard. And you can use the "shield" sign/ability so you take almost no damage. I even set the difficulty back to normal. I dont like having to use bombs, traps and crap though. And am I being an idiot or is there no quick-thing for potions? Do you have to go into medidate every time?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The prologue is much harder than the rest of the game, imo. Once you upgrade your abilities so you can block attacks from all directions and take no damage from it, it's not so hard. And you can use the "shield" sign/ability so you take almost no damage. I even set the difficulty back to normal. I dont like having to use bombs, traps and crap though. And am I being an idiot or is there no quick-thing for potions? Do you have to go into medidate every time?

Only during meditation, but I kind of like it. Means you have to actually plan and know what you're going to come up against. Alternatively you'd have to use very generic mixes, such as swallow and tawny oil. Having to use everything in one's arsenal feels great though, much better than just "hammering" away - it sets it apart from most other modern games.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'll agree on that. Now it feels like you really have to prepare for a combat-- doing research, preparing the equipment, etc. Not just running up to the foe, kicking the sword.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Potions now last a long time, so yes, I really like what they've done with that. And you can meditate 5 steps before a major encounter anyway. It really feels good when you find a book, read up on a monster, craft the right oil, prepare with potions, then bring it down. Traps are a very fun addition, too, though I wish they'd be a bit more powerful and a bit more costly to justify the bother. To differentiate them from bombs.

I'm a little into Chapter 2 now and game is so far very good at keeping its quality up. The game does throw a lot of names and past events at you that refers to book lore, but it's not hard to follow and makes the world pretty alive. The highlight so far is the

Letho battle

near the end of Chapter 1 - was really surprised to see him use

bombs and signs

and made it a lot more fun. Also helped that the room gave me playable FPS. ;)

One thing I'm noticing is that the game's structure is quite similar to TW1 - first theres lots of exposition introducing the scene, characters and problem, then you get free reign in a big town and wilderness full of sidequests to do, before a dramatic confrontation as climax. Which is fine, but one thing I felt in TW1 returns here - the sense that the great story and moral decisions and political undertones don't carry over to many of the sidequests and the actual stuff you get involved in. It's nowhere as bad as, say, swathes of TW1 Ch1 where you feel like there is no plot, but if they did a bit better at working in those things more consistently it would have been a special experience.

I, uh... *scratches head* How do you meditate?

Default is that you press "CTRL" then select the center option that highlights. If you mean meditate in meditation mode, it's the bottom selection.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

You're welcome. ;)