Dragon Age 2

Gorth

Depends on his grading scale, if 5 means average, 2.5 would mean bad, 0 would be completely unplayable. Besides, he really hates the game, why say it's just mediocre?

Because being branded a "hater" is an easy way for people to shove your opinions aside. Slamming the game for being mediocre is much harder to disprove or argue. And it probably is mediocre, because Bioware does have a sort of quality assurance and isn't likely to publish a truly "bad" product if you're judging by the generally low standards of the gaming industry.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I was going to link to the thread on the Codex where the Bio writer (seriously) says that Bio CRPGs should have fast-forwards buttons for the combat and fighting "for folks who just wanna experience the story." Same writer doesn't like fighting, tactics, combat, inventory... or games generally.

Then I realised that the sweary, vituperative and generally hilarious responses would create a mega-hate vortex between here and the aforementioned Codex, creating something so awesomely hateful that I couldn't be responsible for the consequences. So you can find it yourselves and find out what some Biowarians are really thinking...

sonsofgygax.JPG

Depends on his grading scale, if 5 means average, 2.5 would mean bad, 0 would be completely unplayable. Besides, he really hates the game, why say it's just mediocre?

Because being branded a "hater" is an easy way for people to shove your opinions aside. Slamming the game for being mediocre is much harder to disprove or argue. And it probably is mediocre, because Bioware does have a sort of quality assurance and isn't likely to publish a truly "bad" product if you're judging by the generally low standards of the gaming industry.

DAO was already little better than mediocre, so if DA2 is significantly worse, it would have to be bad. I thought we wanted reviewers to give their honest opinions. As far as Bio QA, the uncharted worlds in ME were the worse thing I've ever seen in a game. I couldn't believe Bioware or any professional developer would stoop that low, but here we are.

Edit: MC, why don't you just provide a link, that place is scary to search.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Show us a shortcut brother Monte, one cannot search the Codex lightly, lest it devour us on our journey.

Master Oner, searcheth the general RPG forum, albeit festooned with holy symbols and anointed with protective unguents lest ye catch the palsy of rabid spleen that afflicteth the dam-ned in that place. Amen. In that forum you shall see the thread I describe, it is clearly labelled, in blood and the innermost parts of exotic beasts, for what it is. I can do no more lest I open an unholy portal which I cannot control.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I was going to link to the thread on the Codex where the Bio writer (seriously) says that Bio CRPGs should have fast-forwards buttons for the combat and fighting "for folks who just wanna experience the story." Same writer doesn't like fighting, tactics, combat, inventory... or games generally.

Then I realised that the sweary, vituperative and generally hilarious responses would create a mega-hate vortex between here and the aforementioned Codex, creating something so awesomely hateful that I couldn't be responsible for the consequences. So you can find it yourselves and find out what some Biowarians are really thinking...

The Codex' main function is to provide a Hate Vortex from which MCA can feed off of, so it does provide a valuable service to the gaming public.

Here is the link to the original article: http://www.killerbetties.com/killer_women_...pler?page=0%2C3

The Codex' main function is to provide a Hate Vortex from which MCA can feed off of, so it does provide a valuable service to the gaming public.

Here is the link to the original article: http://www.killerbetties.com/killer_women_...pler?page=0%2C3

Love the bit when they ask about "What's the worst thing about your job" (at Bio)

Answer: Playing the games.

LOL

sonsofgygax.JPG

Show us a shortcut brother Monte, one cannot search the Codex lightly, lest it devour us on our journey.

Master Oner, searcheth the general RPG forum, albeit festooned with holy symbols and anointed with protective unguents lest ye catch the palsy of rabid spleen that afflicteth the dam-ned in that place. Amen. In that forum you shall see the thread I describe, it is clearly labelled, in blood and the innermost parts of exotic beasts, for what it is. I can do no more lest I open an unholy portal which I cannot control.

just wanted to say thank you for writing that. made my morning :sorcerer:

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

just wanted to say thank you for writing that. made my morning :sorcerer:

:teehee:

sonsofgygax.JPG

Love the bit when they ask about "What's the worst thing about your job" (at Bio)

LOL

No wonder the game turned out as it did. Everything she says betrays complete ignorance of RPG's and computer games.

Blown away by Piter Jackson's LotR

Jesus on a stick.

This explains everything. Everything.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Well, she might have a point if you consider that movies made for women are unwatchable for men, at least not without a barf bag.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

What you got against the Lord of the Rings movies? :sorcerer:

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Do you consider yourself a hardcore gamer? How many hours a week do you get to play (besides the title you are working on)?

As I've mentioned before, God no. I'll usually play a few hours on the weekend, but not much beyond that unless I'm really pushing myself. To me, sitting at a computer will always feel like work, so it's not something I tend to do on my own time.

This is a person that gets to write for a game?

homer_aargh.gif

Its like a musician that only spends a few hours on the weekend listening to music and 20 hours a week writing sheet music.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

It's like she sees the writing as this awesome piece of the game that's detached from the gameplay, it must be a nightmare being somebody who actually makes stuff happen in the game when this ivory-tower type tapping away on her keyboard doesn't really care about it. The game is just a coded cradle for her magnificent prose. Right?

Wrong. Get a grip. The writing is, always was and always shall be the secondary to the meat and potatoes of gameplay. Bioware will, mark my words, eventually release digital novels with optional minigames attached.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Playing fewer games is actually not uncommon for a game developer. I think there's a post or blog floating around from MCA where he mentions only playing games for research purposes.

It wears on you. I've been there, too.

you know, now I wish I had said this thought I had yesterday:

it occurred to me that dragon age 2 felt like it was made by people who don't actually play games.

I wish i had said that because it seems like I was right and wanted to look smart :sorcerer:

oh well, back to my dumdum seat!

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

It's like she sees the writing as this awesome piece of the game that's detached from the gameplay, it must be a nightmare being somebody who actually makes stuff happen in the game when this ivory-tower type tapping away on her keyboard doesn't really care about it. The game is just a coded cradle for her magnificent prose. Right?

Wrong. Get a grip. The writing is, always was and always shall be the secondary to the meat and potatoes of gameplay. Bioware will, mark my words, eventually release digital novels with optional minigames attached.

So we should hire all the toilet paper fantasy writers that don't play games and you can't tell apart - because gameplay matters more?

Avellone save us.

logosig2.jpg

A lot of writers when actually writing don't read much, unless it's material linked to whatever project it is they are working on. It's sort of inevitable.

Difference is, most of them still love fiction, books, writing and their genre.

I'm not expecting a developer after a hard sixteen hours behind a bank of monitors to kick back and play another eight of WoW. I do expect them to have been through something similar at some point in the past, understand the love and generally dig games.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Thanketh you, Ritual-master-in-law Monte. I hopeth rabbit **** be a proper replacementh for the goat milk reagent in the protective ointment.

So we should hire all the toilet paper fantasy writers that don't play games and you can't tell apart - because gameplay matters more?

Avellone save us.

You completely missed my point.

sonsofgygax.JPG

LOL

EVentually BIoware will no longer make games; they will make "experiences".

VAseline-smeared Fantasy experiences festooned with pointy ears and sexmance.

They are actually pretty close to this all ready.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I was going to link to the thread on the Codex where the Bio writer (seriously) says that Bio CRPGs should have fast-forwards buttons for the combat and fighting "for folks who just wanna experience the story."

I remember people suggesting that PST would be a better game if someone took out its combat.

Point and click games used to have an audience.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The biggest problem with writing for video games is that it's only been a few years since stories became a requirement for every game and there is no clear idea of how to implement it. Writing for theater transfer well into film, screenplay-wise but games are an interactive medium that requires an altogether different touch. Gameplay is the center of games, if some writer wants to make their bones because video games are popular they are getting the worst possible idea of what the medium is.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Point and click games used to have an audience.

Ahem