Deus Ex 3

Is the item highlight an augmentation aspect in the context of gameplay?

Or is it simply a crutch for idiots?

Either way, its pretty obnoxious. Don't know why it shouldn't be on an option toggle.

... i don't really believe that. :/

I barely noticed the boxes that were highlighted.

I'm sure after a while it would normalize, but for me it was pretty visually jarring.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

This is what a guy from the DXHR forums who saw that game at PAX East had to say about highlighting:

Frankly, I don't think it's that big a deal. Based on the gameplay I saw, the brightness and opacity of the highlighting is heavily dependent on both the player's proximity to the object, as well as the directness with which the player looks at the object, meaning that if you are across the room, objects in your crosshair have a very faint orange outline, while anything on the peripherals is not highlighted at all. Get a bit closer to the objects, and eventually the items in your crosshair are, as you have all noticed, quite bright and noticeable. Despite what it looks like on the cam video, I found that the orange glow was not as intrusive as I originally thought that it might be, and in fact it blends rather well with the gold side of the black and gold color palette.

Another guy who actually got to play the game claims it's less noticable when playing than when watching.

I think the reasoning behind it is because the levels are full of a lot of non-interactive clutter and they want the player to be able to immediately differentiate between stuff you can pick up and use without hovering the crosshair over everything.

For example in this still from the video you've got boxes, paint cans, traffic cones and stuff, but the only item you can pick up is the ammo box on the ground.

dxhr003.jpg

Same thing with this screen shot, you got a whole room of stuff you could potentially pick up and hurl around for no reason, but only 3 items you can actually interact with.

dxhr004.jpg

While I'd prefer it highlight only what I'm looking at like in the original, I'll not too fussed at this point. I'll wait and see how I feel after I've had a chance to play the thing.

Deus Ex 3 looks a little flat.

I guess that billion dollar trailer that no game could ever duplicate visually has its downside.

Eh? Obviously the real-time stuff isn't going to have the same polygons, high res textures, and other fancy effects that a pre-rendered trailer gets, but the visual style of the game is the same as the trailer.

dxhr001.jpg

dxhr002.jpg

Personally I think it all looks great.

Are people actually saying this game looks bad? The game looks gorgeous! :mellow:

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Shame too, was hoping this would come out as genericized trash.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Shame too, was hoping this would come out as genericized trash.

Oh don't worry, they'll be saying that when it comes out regardless.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

While I'd prefer it highlight only what I'm looking at like in the original, I'll not too fussed at this point. I'll wait and see how I feel after I've had a chance to play the thing.

I'm waiting for that too, but that doesn't mean i can't be bothered by it right now. And once i know how ammo boxes look like i can see them without prior highlighting. And because this is no Fallout 3/NV where all the junk is interactive, it shouldn't be too difficult to spot items you can interact with. I'll stay skeptical until i experience it myself.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Oh don't worry, they'll be saying that when it comes out regardless.

Well, I was serious there, so them saying it isn't enough :shifty: Mind you, the storyline and choices might be total bunk in the end product.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This is what a guy from the DXHR forums who saw that game at PAX East had to say about highlighting:

Frankly, I don't think it's that big a deal. Based on the gameplay I saw, the brightness and opacity of the highlighting is heavily dependent on both the player's proximity to the object, as well as the directness with which the player looks at the object, meaning that if you are across the room, objects in your crosshair have a very faint orange outline, while anything on the peripherals is not highlighted at all. Get a bit closer to the objects, and eventually the items in your crosshair are, as you have all noticed, quite bright and noticeable. Despite what it looks like on the cam video, I found that the orange glow was not as intrusive as I originally thought that it might be, and in fact it blends rather well with the gold side of the black and gold color palette.

Another guy who actually got to play the game claims it's less noticable when playing than when watching.

I think the reasoning behind it is because the levels are full of a lot of non-interactive clutter and they want the player to be able to immediately differentiate between stuff you can pick up and use without hovering the crosshair over everything.

For example in this still from the video you've got boxes, paint cans, traffic cones and stuff, but the only item you can pick up is the ammo box on the ground.

dxhr003.jpg

Same thing with this screen shot, you got a whole room of stuff you could potentially pick up and hurl around for no reason, but only 3 items you can actually interact with.

dxhr004.jpg

Deus Ex 3 looks a little flat.

I guess that billion dollar trailer that no game could ever duplicate visually has its downside.

Eh? Obviously the real-time stuff isn't going to have the same polygons, high res textures, and other fancy effects that a pre-rendered trailer gets, but the visual style of the game is the same as the trailer.

dxhr001.jpg

dxhr002.jpg

Personally I think it all looks great.

They are doing it wrong, it shouldn't be one item that is interactable among a whole level of clutter. It should be the other way around, dammit. And fix the UI for the PC as well, yuck! Finally, why couldn't they have the same highlighting as in DX1? Completely seamless and nonintrusive.

Meh, meh, meh....

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

And now we've got another 5 months to go for the naysayers to let everyone now how horrible it is and utterly doomed any further attempts to bring back Deus Ex.. and the enthusiasts will vigerously defend it.. Thus creating many varied thread moments.. :shifty:

And thus it starts here..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Like the highlighting items, the health regen caught my eye as something that hopefully isn't just like that in the end product. Some tension is already removed with a system like that because, if my memory serves, there's only one general difficulty level.

Other than those two things, it looks fine to me - and like someone already said, a bit Alpha Protocolish.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Well there's been some mention that the health regen is something that's quite slow..

Also, there are several difficulty settings. The hardest of which is named "Deus Ex".

Well there's been some mention that the health regen is something that's quite slow..

Also, there are several difficulty settings. The hardest of which is named "Deus Ex".

Hopefully it will be. That thing in the clip wasn't.

Well, I might've mixed things up with the difficultysettings then... I was almost sure I had read from somewhere that there's only one setting.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

And now we've got another 5 months to go for the naysayers to let everyone now how horrible it is and utterly doomed any further attempts to bring back Deus Ex.. and the enthusiasts will vigerously defend it.. Thus creating many varied thread moments.. :shifty:

What, you'd like 5 months of "squeeee!! this game is teh rox0r!!" type discussion ? Heh.

What, you'd like 5 months of "squeeee!! this game is teh rox0r!!" type discussion ? Heh.

Nah. But there does seem an awful lot more attempts at the total cynicism and "this is going to be utter crap" about pretty much all games to be released. There rarely seems to be weighted of "this i like, this i dont like" discussions.

About the only way it could be worse was if Bio was releasing it. Then the arguments of "this is going to kill proper crpg" and "bio-bashing vs bio-fanworship" and appearances by Vol to make statements and inflame opinion... :shifty:

They are doing it wrong, it shouldn't be one item that is interactable among a whole level of clutter. It should be the other way around, dammit.

No.

I like the idea of being able to interact with everything, but in reality it's pretty pointless.

Nah. But there does seem an awful lot more attempts at the total cynicism and "this is going to be utter crap" about pretty much all games to be released. There rarely seems to be weighted of "this i like, this i dont like" discussions.

About the only way it could be worse was if Bio was releasing it. Then the arguments of "this is going to kill proper crpg" and "bio-bashing vs bio-fanworship" and appearances by Vol to make statements and inflame opinion... :shifty:

Well it's nice to be skeptical or cynical considering the percentage of pre-release talk that is total BS. And they've ****ed up a sequel before, why not this time. Shame there's that cheating cover system though, magically see around corners, but eh, is a modern game so it needs it.

but eh, is a modern game so it needs it.

Yeah, like all the other modern FPS that use third person... wait, what?

Well they put that in Vegas, so I guess it's just a designer's use of sense. But cover systems are cool for people, or something.

They are doing it wrong, it shouldn't be one item that is interactable among a whole level of clutter. It should be the other way around, dammit.

No.

I like the idea of being able to interact with everything, but in reality it's pretty pointless.

In Deus Ex 1, you pretty much could. It was the point of the gameplay, a completely reactive envirment.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No.

In Deus Ex 1, you pretty much could. It was the point of the gameplay, a completely reactive envirment.

You misunderstand. I'm talking about junk items that serve no real purpose. Things that once picked up you either drop them or throw them, liked potted plants and trophies, or things like phones which make a noise when used but have no purpose at all. In DX you walk into a room, there are 5 objects, and all of them can be interacted with in some manner though only 2 or 3 have any real use. In DXHR you walk into a room, there are 50 objects, but only 2 or 3 can be interacted with.

Take this shot for instance, ignoring the man who is about to get stabbed by mean old Jensen, you can probably only interact with the gun and the computer, and the rest of the clutter is non-interactive scenery. If this was DX1, you could probably also interact with the potted plant, the recycling bin, and the phone, but together those 5 things would be the only items in the room.

dxhr005.jpg

DX was never about being able to pick up anything that isn't nailed down. It's not a Bethesda RPG.

No.

You misunderstand. I'm talking about junk items that serve no real purpose. Things that once picked up you either drop them or throw them, liked potted plants and trophies, or things like phones which make a noise when used but have no purpose at all. In DX you walk into a room, there are 5 objects, and all of them can be interacted with in some manner though only 2 or 3 have any real use. In DXHR you walk into a room, there are 50 objects, but only 2 or 3 can be interacted with.

Take this shot for instance, ignoring the man who is about to get stabbed by mean old Jensen, you can probably only interact with the gun and the computer, and the rest of the clutter is non-interactive scenery. If this was DX1, you could probably also interact with the potted plant, the recycling bin, and the phone, but together those 5 things would be the only items in the room.

DX was never about being able to pick up anything that isn't nailed down. It's not a Bethesda RPG.

So your biggest complaint is that you can't water the plants? :shifty:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

What? I'm not complaining about anything.

That's my job.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

What? I'm not complaining about anything.

That's my job.

Would you say that the inability to water plants will destroy the experience for you?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif