Am I the only one who's in the mood for

DAWUSS

a good space combat simulator? Something in the vein of Wing Commander or TIE Fighter? Could be an original IP or an established IP; that doesn't make much difference to me - if the story's good, the features are plenty, and the action is great, that's what matters.

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

For some reason or other, space sims are dead genre. I find the situation bit odd as combat could be as arcady or realistic as developers want. Maybe casual players can't perform well in 3d space. Based on games like World of Warcraft raids and such, I think they get confused by left and right. Now add up and down in the mix and it gets really ugly. Something like Newtonian physics (basically meaning you can move to the different direction then your ship currently face) might as well be supernatural feature.

Oh and EVE Online probably have most of the space sim fans and good luck getting 'em to leave their beloved game.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Have you tried the X games? X2 and X3 are quite decent 'Elite' derivatives.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I bought the X games the other day at the Steam sale, but have to wait til... well, at least midnight pacific time to download as I'm on a monthly bandwidth limit. Steam tries pretty hard to make every game they sell seem like a huge deal, but I have to admit the X games intrigued me enough to give them a try, since I was hooked on Elite back in the day.

Looking forward to giving them a try.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I bought the X games the other day at the Steam sale, but have to wait til... well, at least midnight pacific time to download as I'm on a monthly bandwidth limit. Steam tries pretty hard to make every game they sell seem like a huge deal, but I have to admit the X games intrigued me enough to give them a try, since I was hooked on Elite back in the day.

Looking forward to giving them a try.

I would probably try X2 before X3... the latter has an almost vertical learning curve :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I would kill for Freespace 3.

No kidding. They had a sequel to a rather fun MMO called Jumpgate in the works, but they managed to a) **** up the design that made the first one cool and b) produce vaporware.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'd love for them to repackage TIE fighter with some modern engine. Same basic missions and story.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm just waiting for someone to bring back Crimson Skies.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'd love for them to repackage TIE fighter with some modern engine. Same basic missions and story.

I wouldn't mind a repackaging of the game, but I would hope for a different story and cast of characters, especially now since more of the timeline is open to the EU developers.

In regards to space combat sims themselves, I think they're going to make a comeback, it's most likely going to be via an original IP - there would be a fresh start and blank slate to work with and build upon, and you wouldn't have to worry about demands and input from the IP holder that come when a preexisting IP gets used. I think that could be a successful venture, considering that there aren't many available options in that genre ATM.

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

an hd update of tiefighter would be fantastic, the gameplay still holds up, the missions are still great (the ai needs a bit of re-balancing... A-wings I'm looking at you), its mostly just the graphics that are ... old.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Heh, I tried installing Privateer 2 and Wing Commander 4 on my machine a few months back. Which was.. a kind of silly fun because I didn't set anything up to reduce cpu speed for it. The interactive scenes worked fine..but the moment you were out in space.. everything was a blur of ludicrous speed. :p

Kind of made them unplayable without putting in a chunk of effort to find that workaround.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Heh, I tried installing Privateer 2 and Wing Commander 4 on my machine a few months back. Which was.. a kind of silly fun because I didn't set anything up to reduce cpu speed for it. The interactive scenes worked fine..but the moment you were out in space.. everything was a blur of ludicrous speed. :sorcerer:

Kind of made them unplayable without putting in a chunk of effort to find that workaround.

DOSBox?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Thought: could you do something in the KoTOR era with the Sith? Have Obs do the storyline and off ship interactions, plys advise on missions, then have some less savvy company put together the flight sim itself. Could be a quick win for obs.

-Elwood Blues