Bioware's New Game

Gorth

Looks like Jack Wall and friends have botted from the franchise because Clint Mansell just confirmed he's working on the ME3 score.

Wow, this really makes me exciting. I loved the score in Fountain and Black Swan!

Me too. While I think Wall & Co did an astounding job with the original Mass Effect, I found the score for ME2 mostly average and forgettable at best. In fact, the best parts were probably the DLC missions, which were done by other people. So while I hope that some key cues are retained (main theme, Vigil's theme) to maintain continuity (and they are awesome, anyway), this is probably a really REALLY good thing.

He also did the score for Doom. Now I feel the urge to check it out...

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

"Looks like Jack Wall and friends have botted from the franchise because Clint Mansell just confirmed he's working on the ME3 score."

Consideirnjg who BIO got for ME3, seems like Wall got canned and BIo was looking for an upgrade. L0L then again, I like Wall's music so *shrug*.

Still, nothing there suggest that Wall 'bolted' (why would he do that?, no logic) or that he even got fired. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Hm, I rather liked the music to the ME games thus far. The music made the last level a bit more "epic" feeling.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That's what Jack Wall had to say on the Bio boards

Dear People Who Love Mass Effect -

So...maybe it's time to actually say something?

Working on the Mass Effect series was epic. It was mind-bending, soul-coughing, astral-plane traveling delicious loveliness - all the way. The games themselves are works of art. I wouldn't change one note of it that myself, Sam, David, Richard or Jimmy wrote. As you may have noticed by now, I am not returning to score the final game. The reasons are much too complicated to explain here, but suffice to say that the people at BioWare and I are still friends and we all really still like each other a lot. More importantly, the score for ME3 will be great and even more important than that, the game will liikely be (being BioWare and all) super duper fantastic.

Clint Mansell is cool. Enjoy.

Oh and thanks to everyone for the kind words here and over the years. For those of you who didn't say nice things, that's cool too. I'm still searching for the perfect chord. If you guys see it laying around, let me know, ok?

See you in another game in another crazy universe!

-Jack

Still nothing about why he doesn't compose the score...

Everyone moved on. Maybe he got a better offer. Maybe BIO couldn't pass up gettuing a somewhat popualr movie score rpoducer to do it. Maybe EA demanded the change. Maybe the time table for the game's release was too quick for him to produce what he wnated. Who knows.Not juch will likely change about ME3's score since BIO will likely ask the new guy to keep the tunes to basically the same style anyways.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

No musical score is going to fix what they've done to the series' plot at this point. This is the worst possible direction they could have taken the trilogy.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

No musical score is going to fix what they've done to the series' plot at this point. This is the worst possible direction they could have taken the trilogy.

Hey, Requiem for a Dream sucked but Lux Aeterna remains a brilliant song.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I still say they should have gotten Harry Gregson-Williams.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I still say they should have gotten Harry Gregson-Williams.

I'm okay with that >_< Spy Games is on my frequent rotation.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

am recalling music from a single game that genuine impressed us enough that we consciously recognize that the game were made better by the inclusion o' the music: iwd.

as for the plot, people place far too much emphasis 'pon plot... particularly when speaking o' the fantasy and sci-fi lite genres. is our opinion that no fantasy plot has ever survived close inspection without considerable warts becoming apparent. that being said, there were some questionable choices made by the writers o' me2, but nothing we see as irrevocably damning. heck, as far as the aforementioned plot is concerned, almost nothing noteworthy happened in me2 following the prologue. shep dies and is resurrected after two years... and then a bunch o' unnecessary stuff happens on a ship populated by people with f'ed up families. at the conclusion o' me1 the reapers were coming to wipe out galactic civilization. at the conclusion o' me2 the reapers were coming to wipe out galactic civilization. am guessing that the human-reaper hybrid evolution is gonna be a Big Deal in me3, but it won't genuine change nothing. shep (or whomever is the me3 protagonist) is still gonna needs save the galaxy from the reaper threat... no matter how wacky they makes the threat.

again, the me plot is not unsalvageable 'cause o' me2, 'cause nothing genuine important happened in me2.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The plot is unsalvageable because it was crap to start with.

okie dokie... but am recalling that you liked kotor, no? a hero and his companions must band together and overcome obstacles small and large as they fights to save the village/nation/world/galaxy/universe from the predations o' an Evil force. gots different window dressing, but basic scenario o' me and kotor is very similar. in fact, the greatest strength o' the kotor story is that it is unapologetic 'bout the manner in which it parallels the major plot points o' the original star wars trilogy... another save-the-galaxy-from-evil story.

*shrug*

is almost never the plot issues that is insurmountable, irredeemable or unsalvageable... 'less we is talking 'bout some o' the nutty anime stuff.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Who said here that it's basically a reimagination of Flash Gordon? (Certainly ME1 was, the retroscifi was dialed back a bit with ME2)

I'd say that if you want SERIOUS BUSINESS, it's definitely the wrong franchise (I'm using that to irritate you) to stick to. >_<

I don't see the Flash Gordon. Until I see a cape, I refuse to believe anyone who claims it doesn't take itself seriously.

Or spandex.

Even the whole mass effect concept of altering the mass of objects is more thought than is typically put into psychic powers and FTL.

Edited by Tale

the plot in mass effect is not really noteworthy to me, instead its more about the set pieces and characters, i remember scenes from the game, not why those scenes were occurring

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The only aspect of the ME plot and setting that I really have trouble suspending disbelief and just going with is the extaordinarily short span of time between human first contact and the present state of human colonization and galactic political involvement. But that's a background detail that rarely comes up outside of codex entries.

The rest of it fits pretty well within established "this is how spaceships and aliens and such work in mainstream sci-fi movies" criteria. The plot and setting are largely unimaginative and derivative, but they're not conspicuously terrible such that they get in the way of the things that make the games fun. (Unless you're just one of the joyless schlubs who are too busy complaining that the explosion of the Death Star shouldn't make any noise to actually enjoy the movie.)

The only aspect of the ME plot and setting that I really have trouble suspending disbelief and just going with is the extaordinarily short span of time between human first contact and the present state of human colonization and galactic political involvement. But that's a background detail that rarely comes up outside of codex entries.

I've always kind of liked the idea that instead of humans being a technologically backward and small civilization in the galactic scope, in ME their military (and, largely, tech) was on a par with the most powerful citadel races (and hence, the meteoric rise in galactic politics).

The rest of it fits pretty well within established "this is how spaceships and aliens and such work in mainstream sci-fi movies" criteria. The plot and setting are largely unimaginative and derivative, but they're not conspicuously terrible such that they get in the way of the things that make the games fun. (Unless you're just one of the joyless schlubs who are too busy complaining that the explosion of the Death Star shouldn't make any noise to actually enjoy the movie.)

My biggest concern it's that for such a well crafted universe with an immense amount of information in the codex, barely none of it is integrated or it's shown in the main story. There is a wide gap between the Mass Effect universe and the Mass Effect games. It is something that has becoming something of a custom with BW games, they craft such interesting universes but fail to explore them and instead go for a moronic approach to storytelling.

@Nep: Your stick doesn't hurt me

village_idiot.gif

I could maybe see that. Dragon Age has some interesting moral ambiguity in the setting that the games tend to treat with kid gloves. Setting: Mages are dangerous! Game: But only the really evil ones.

Edited by Tale

Mass Effect = Babylon 5 with Star Trek aliens an a little bit of Battlestar Galactica.

Probably a lot more accurate than the flash gordon analysis. Somewhat less funny, though. ;)