Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

funcroc

One reason why I'll probably never re-install Oblivion is that before I lost my installation, I had around 3 Gigs of mods. There's no way I'll ever be able to re-mold the game into what I had before.

For Morrowind, it was much simpler, I only installed Better Bodies + Better Faces + a texture conversion mod, and that was it.

the Giants mod for Morrowind was outstanding. It added a lot of awesome creatures.

Morrowind also had the Adventurers mod which made a lot of great changes and made the game even more interesting.

But, yes, I agree MW had less need of mods than Oblivion. By a lot.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Looks okay I guess.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I thought the brazier looked a little too modern for my liking. Didn't even notice the sign. This is like that first screenshot of DX:HR that was apparently from a Crysis mod. There it was girl-in-an-alley-of-what-may-be-a-futuristic-city = OMG DX3. Here it's mountains-with-snow = OMG Skyrim.

I guess that's better than amateur-3D-architecture-and-poser-models = The Sims 3. Man, it's like fakers aren't even trying anymore.

Edited by Hell Kitty

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, Morrowind now looks pretty nice.

Video:

It looks nice, it plays nice, it is nice. It looks like MW's superb art style was given a technical upgrade, so there's literally nothing it doesn't do better than Oblivion. A little too bloomy, though....

By the way, Morrowind now looks pretty nice.

Video:

It looks nice, it plays nice, it is nice. It looks like MW's superb art style was given a technical upgrade, so there's literally nothing it doesn't do better than Oblivion. A little too bloomy, though....

It's sad. The moment I saw your link, I started downloading it and uninstalled Oblivion. I'd very much like Skyrim to not suck.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Fourth Era Tamriel map:

tamriel4e01.jpg

I like how the Argonians conquered a chunk of Morrowind. It also seems the Nords took their old lands back. So mayhap Skyrim will also feature locations outside the Third Era province.

Fourth Era lore introduced by "The Infernal City" novel (Third Era ends in 3E 433 with the ascension of Martin Septim):

4E 1

The Fourth Era starts with no Emperor on the throne of Tamriel. The Councilor Ocato and the Blades try to maintain order. The provinces start to take opportunities on the state of the Empire.

Circa 4E 1

The Empire collapses. Most of the provinces secede from the Imperial rule:

* In Elsweyr, the Mane is assassinated. A war breaks out in southern Elsweyr. Although the Imperial force still exists in the northern Elsweyr, they cannot keep the order. The Khajiit realm is in chaos. The Akaviri Potenatate of Rimmen is still strong in his rule. This makes Rimmen relatively in order.

* In Valenwood, the weakening of the Imperial causes Thalmor to restore their rule over Valenwood. Their ultimate goal is to bring back Tamriel to Merethic Era. The first step of the group is restoring the Aldmeri Dominion.

* During Oblivion Crisis, the Hist called all the Argonian to march back to Black Marsh to defend the realm from the Daedra. After the Oblivion Crisis, as the Imperial is weakening, Black Marsh rebels and currently led by the An-Xileel and the Organism.

Titus Mede takes the Imperial City after defeated Eddar Olin, and ruled as the Emperor. Titus Mede tries to restore the Imperial rule, started from the White Gold Tower.

Mages Guild dissolves, in its role now there are two Imperial magic guilds: College of Whispers and Synod.

In Morrowind, after the disappearance of Vivec, the power to hold the Ministry of Truth in place started to diminish. A pair of Dunmer mages, Vuhon and Sul, among others, build an ingenium, a machination to hold the Ministry of Truth in place. Dispute on the supply of souls, both mages fight, and the ingenium explodes. Both mages are hurled into Oblivion. The Ministry of Truth crashes into Vivec City, creates a huge crater that immediately filled with water from the Inner Sea. The place, which was Vivec City, is now known as the Scathing Bay. The impact of the Ministry of Truth also caused an eruption of the Red Mountain. This chain of events killed thousands and remembered as the Red Year.

Shortly after the cataclysmic eruption of Red Mountain, the crippled Morrowind is invaded by the army of Black Marsh, the Dunmer nation of Morrowind collapses. The survivors of the cataclysm and the war fled to the island of Solstheim. Vvardenfell, and most of Morrowind are now known as the Wasteland (in before "Fallout 3 with swords lol").

4E 18

The son of Titus Mede, Attrebus Mede is born.

4E 23

Anna

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

According to a thread of people with the magazine on Bethsoft forums:

- Max von Sydow voices some kind of "mentor"

- Dragonborn = Dragonslayer

- 18 skills (no more mysticism, other skills from Oblivion might've been similarly merged)

- 50 levels

- Enchantment is back

- Crafting system similar to Risen

- no more zooming in when talking to NPCs

- two hands can be used in combat, e.g. use a sword in one hand, and magic with the other one + dual-wielding

- non-fugly character models and faces (mention was made of a Nord woman in a tavern)

- giant spiders, mammoth, sabre-tooth tigers, yetis, snow trolls

- perk each level, as in Fallout 3

Last but not least: "Radiant Storytelling"

"The game eventually logs a huge storehouse of knowledge about how you've played, and subsequently tailors content to your capabilities and experiences. Entering a city, a young woman might approach you and beg you to save her daughter from kidnappers. The game will look at the nearby dungeons you've explored, automatically set the mission in a place you've never visited, and designate opponents that are appropriately matched to your strengths and weaknesses."

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

"The game eventually logs a huge storehouse of knowledge about how you've played, and subsequently tailors content to your capabilities and experiences. Entering a city, a young woman might approach you and beg you to save her daughter from kidnappers. The game will look at the nearby dungeons you've explored, automatically set the mission in a place you've never visited, and designate opponents that are appropriately matched to your strengths and weaknesses."

That doesn't sound very promising.

Did it really say that? I mean, Bethesda knows that the radiant AI was terrible, why would they try a variation of that?

- two hands can be used in combat, e.g. use a sword in one hand, and magic with the other one + dual-wielding

This should work quite well in Elder Scrolls.

- giant spiders, mammoth, sabre-tooth tigers, yetis, snow trolls

- perk each level, as in Fallout 3

Perks are an excellent reward system actually, and I'm glad they lifted this. Of course, one each level is an about turn towards overpowered PCs, but we will see.

re. Radiant Storytelling, I actually think it's great news. Radiant AI was overhyped and ultimately about as interesting (or groundbreaking) as a puddle of poo, but I think Bethesda should be praised for the effort they are putting into try and make the RPG gameworld more alive and reactive. Here's hoping they are more successful this time, as it seems Radiant Storytelling would, well, require Radiant AI to work better first.

What is the chance of this actually working?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.