Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

funcroc

But really, Gamebryo is insanely old to the point where the animation quality and physics can even hinder the gameplay (flying Grizzly Bears, oh joy!). I'm also willing to bet idTech5 has much better/easier tools, so switching to another engine shouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Id Tech 5 is best suited for action games, not large freeroaming simulators. So it's only logical that Beth uses Gamebryo again, however they certainly modified it so I'm not worried about that aspect. More worried about the quality of writing and quests and stuff.

Considering what ID's first game on it is going to be, they apparently disagree with you.

On Gamebryo, as Mythbusters have shown us, you can polish poop - it's still poop, though.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I just hope that they don't drop the FO3 improvements just because this is an Elder Scrolls game. I've had this feeling that they made FO3 the way it was, because it was FO. But don't have any intent of bringing over any of the rp improvements to the Elder Scrolls series.

Id Tech 5 is best suited for action games, not large freeroaming simulators.

I've alway got the impression from Rage that it was open and freeroaming.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I just hope that they don't drop the FO3 improvements just because this is an Elder Scrolls game. I've had this feeling that they made FO3 the way it was, because it was FO. But don't have any intent of bringing over any of the rp improvements to the Elder Scrolls series.

Id Tech 5 is best suited for action games, not large freeroaming simulators.

I've alway got the impression from Rage that it was open and freeroaming.

And Bos Hybrid gets the award for actually knowing what he is talking about and still not stating it as an absolute fact! :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

So we have a game Elder scrolls game that takes place in what one would describe as northern scandinavia. Mountains and spruce tress as far the eye can see, yay! (meh)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I liked Morrowind and Oblivion. So it is safe to say that I will most likely buy Skyrim.

I'd like to see a better story, a more varied enviroments and better balance for the levelling system. If this happens, I am more than happy, Gamebryo or not.

Voice acting was pretty gross. Even in a trailer.

Did you just diss Max von Sydow? I'm pretty sure that's one of the seven deadly sins.

Business as usual around these here parts.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Well, Skyrim is my favourite part of the Elder Scrolls universe, so I can't be too disappointed. But like others, I was wishing for ID tech instead of the.. not so spectacular Gamebryo engine. I mean, going from New Vegas to Two Worlds 2 was an eye opener.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Wait, they're still using the Gamebryo engine? Why wouldn't they want to move away from an engine where they can't even program AI that can use ladders. And yes, after playing Two Worlds 2, it'll be somewhat difficult to go back to that engine for a game, although I'm enjoying my time with FNV

Edited by SadExchange

I downloaded Nehrim last night, though I probably won't get a chance to play for another week.

Oblivion grew on me - the OOO mod helped a lot, though I still think Morrowind was a lot better.

Did I not read somewhere that the company behind Gamebryo went bust? Or am I confusing it with something else. :lol:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Look forward to learning about this, actually. Morrowind was excellent and while Oblivion/FO3 were meh, inbetween those two I thought Bethesda showed some improvement. If Todd Howard wasn't still at the helm I'd be even more optimistic..

Todd Howard was tester of Arena, quest designer of Daggerfall and project lead of Morrowind & Redguard.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Did I not read somewhere that the company behind Gamebryo went bust? Or am I confusing it with something else. :)

that's right, had been posted here last month

Maybe now people can shut up already?

I think, Bethesda confirmed they would be using a modified version of Gamebryo not so long ago. maybe this is just a PR stunt? :lol:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Todd Howard was tester of Arena, quest designer of Daggerfall and project lead of Morrowind & Redguard.

he didn't lead the Oblivion team? hmmm

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It's a new engine.

I guess this is why they let Pete Hines do the talking, the previous statement was about as nonsense as it got.

I downloaded Nehrim last night, though I probably won't get a chance to play for another week.

Despite being built out of the exact same blocks as Oblivion, Nehrim is tons better (although it still suffers from some err many of Oblivion's shortcomings). WHich just shows that there is a decent game inside Oblivion. Somewhere.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.