Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

funcroc

Does anyone recall whether the Oblivion disks came in a DVD case, jewel case, or paper slips? I am searching for mine to no avail.

Mine (vanilla game) were loose in a dvd case.

WHy are you looking for the disks? More coasters for a holiday party? :ermm:

lack of enemy variety is one of my top 3 complaints about dragon age. i never want to see another genlock or hurlock ever again.

On ecompliment I can give Oblivion is the great variety of enemy critters. Much better than say FO3. The ES has always been pretty good at that. Hopefully it will continue.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Does anyone recall whether the Oblivion disks came in a DVD case, jewel case, or paper slips? I am searching for mine to no avail.

WHy are you looking for the disks? More coasters for a holiday party? :)

To play. And I happen to have it installed right now. I played a bit of it last night and was quite pleased.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

WHy are you looking for the disks? More coasters for a holiday party? :sorcerer:

To play. And I happen to have it installed right now. I played a bit of it last night and was quite pleased.

Interesting.

Didn't you say earlier that originally you found it boring?

What do you think you are seeing in the game this time that you weren't when you played previously? Are you playing with some mods? Or the vanila game?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I keep on thinking that if I start a game of Oblivion and install just the right combination of mods, I'll get a play experience I'll enjoy.

This should answer your question.

OOO improvoed the game dramatically for me, but it still didn't really make it "good".

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if anybody wants the Oblivion experience in a different, more successful, though still flawed, package, the Nehrim TC is worth taking a look at.

after skyrim was announced i tried giving oblivion another shot, but after fallout new vegas... i couldnt get into oblivion, the world seems so pointless and lifeless. nothing you do has any consequence in it, its like wandering around an dollhouse filled with paper cutouts of people.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

oblivions greatest accomplishment may be the creation of mini-memes relating to scum, mud crabs, goblins, and other filthy creatures.

its the "all your base" of the 21st century.

bethesda also lays claim to the fantastic "[intelligence] so you say bethesda has bad writing?" bad writing.

i just hope that they saw all the awesome things that new vegas brought to the interactive world of an open ended rpg and follow suit with skyrim. A more fleshed out and grounded world, some real choice and consequence, TONS of quests with multiple paths...

my fingers are crossed really really hard.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

A more fleshed out and grounded world, some real choice and consequence, TONS of quests with multiple paths...

NV had that?

Most people here have a really skewed perspective on the game since they love Obsidian so much. And this is their forum and stuff.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

[ad hominem]virumor loves Two Worlds 2. He's not a credible source.[/ad hominem]

Serious: I dunno, I personally saw all of that in New Vegas, though it isn't necessarily what sandbox players search in their games as far as I've seen.

And at least on the "fleshed out" part Bethesda was pretty good at that. For all the bad writing that Fallout 3 had and some really nonsensical world building there were bits and pieces of brilliance and a lot of notes and stuff. It was certainly a world with a coherent vision even if the execution left a lot to be desired. The quest design was improved to compared to Oblivion. I don't know, it may be weird for me to say, but I think there are reasons to be optimists about this game. Granted, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. Never been a fan of The Elder Scrolls, the only good game of the saga for me is Morrowind.

NV's choice & consequence went down the drain for me when Vulpes offered me his coin. This was up there with ghoul-Moria from FO3. The few multi-pathed quests the game may have had got lost in the sea of run & fetch quests (really, the game was almost as worse as Gothic 3 in this regard).

I don't consider any FO3 quest to be better than Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood & Thieves Guild questline, let alone Shivering Isles & Knights of the Nine main quests. Only thing FO3 really improves is the voice-over.

[ad hominem]virumor loves Two Worlds 2. He's not a credible source.[/ad hominem]

TW2 is a good game made by unpretentious developers that listen to their fans. It actually contains some choice & consequence and quests with multiple paths, which is more than I can say for Oblivion. Not to mention, the world is pretty well-fleshed out as well with books and notes scarred around (at least better than Oblivion).

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

never played oblivion so I'll have to take your word for it, but you make it sound like TW2 has C&C, when in fact it doesn't :ermm: I saw 2 quests out of 200 where there actually was a choice.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The faction C&C doesn't disappear with the Mark of Caesar - I don't think it was the best solution by any means but its detractors always go over the top and claim it's some sort of gamebreaking nonsense. The Mark makes perfect sense from a story/plot/setting POV, esp. since you are in NCR territory for much of the game & given your importance (importance which you largely earn by your in-game deeds, not prewritten factors). Gameplay wise you do need some way for players to earn back favour in a limited way - otherwise it's too easy to have people shoot you on sight for half the game, and that's why the Fame/Infamy balances (Good Natured Rascal, Wildchild, etc) are there.

The only real problem with the Mark of Caesar is that;

(a) you don't do anything to earn it, it's given to you - understandable to ensure that you don't get locked into a particular ending with 20 hours still to go, but would be nice if depending on your rep you had to earn your way back.

(b) it's a straight off Infamy reset to zero - it should have been more contextualised. i.e. If you had high Fame & high Infamy it could have been reset to low Fame & low Infamy, or reducing Infamy just enough so that you are not Hated.

Other than this, and perhaps thanks to the clear & simple reset it provided, the 2nd half of the game does an excellent job at showing you the different paths available, allowing double-crossing & double-jobs, giving you good warning about what's going to alienate whom in what way, and having different factions look like they are working to persuade you.

edit: more on topic, I can't remember a single FO3 quest clearly, though I do recall the one in that big ship city was fairly well done. I actually think Bethesda's quests are decent, its the quality of writing behind it that lets them down more.

new vegas was a fleshed out and grounded world in that it had explanations for things like where they get their water, how they get their food, what kind of tribes exist in the area and why they are there.

finding little scraps of paper to tell me about all the neat "lore" in a game setting (im looking at you in particular dragon age) when that lore has little bearing on how people behave in the game is not what i would consider a fleshed out setting.

I don't care much about historical little details and which gods betrayed which mortals in the local wingding religion, i care about characters and towns behaving in an internally consistent way. something I think new vegas did very well (for a videogame). In fact, I can think of few other games that have done as well. Baldur's gate gets a bit of a freebie because its built on the forgotten realms which was a very very full featured game setting, with tons of information on all the trade routes/city economies/etc etc, fallout 1 did a great job with it, which is a major reason the game is so well thought of today imo.

oblivion and morrowind had this stuff as well, but it never really felt alive, something i DID get from new vegas. Am I biased just because it's obsidian? Probably not, since to be honest, New Vegas is the first obsidian game I felt really was grade A work (despite the bugs). Fallout 3 on the other hand is an example of the absolute worst world building you can find in modern games. None of it made any sense and felt very slapdash and stupid.

now of course I realize if you stop and take the time to really think about a lot of the people and places in new vegas (or most any other game) you find all sorts of logic flaws and things that break immersion, but on first glance, and at the basic enjoyment level of playing a game, vegas had, as hurlshot said, all these things in spades. Going from quests in new vegas to quests in morrowind or oblivion... well... its pretty hard to switch gears to a game where every quest has only 1 path and 1 possible outcome.

so yeah, i really really hope that bethesda looks hard at what new vegas has accomplished with regard to fleshing out the play setting (not the lore stuff) and quests and Choice and consequence.

TW2 is a good game made by unpretentious developers that listen to their fans. It actually contains some choice & consequence and quests with multiple paths, which is more than I can say for Oblivion. Not to mention, the world is pretty well-fleshed out as well with books and notes scarred around (at least better than Oblivion).

So Bethesda is pretentious? This argument is getting weird.

Interesting.

Didn't you say earlier that originally you found it boring?

What do you think you are seeing in the game this time that you weren't when you played previously? Are you playing with some mods? Or the vanila game?

I did find it boring previously.

However, with modded interface, PC leveling, inventory, and creature and quest leveling, I can now appreciate the giant sandbox feel. It will never be in my top 20 games (or RPGs) but I can actually 'finish' the game now.

Most people here have a really skewed perspective on the game since they love Obsidian so much. And this is their forum and stuff.

If another developer produced games with half the problems Obsidian's games tend to have, I'd never buy from them. I consider Fallout: NV an excellent game, however.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

What mods would you recommend to make Oblivion playable ?

I've tempted to play it, but felt bored with all the 'close portal' quests that were very repetitive.

What do Nehrim do ? Change completly the story or just modify it sufficiently to make it an interesting story ?

What mods would you recommend to make Oblivion playable ?

All the unofficial patches and Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, or similar leveling mod are the most important in my opinion.

Here's the full list of mods I personally used:

The Unofficial Oblivion Patch

The Unofficial Oblivion Patch Supplemental

The Unofficial Official Mods Patch

The Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch

Qarl's Texture Pack III Redimized

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul

Darnified UI

Book Jackets

Shivering Book Jackets

Grimbots Spell Tomes

Oblivion XP

CObl

Cobl Cosmetics Res 01

Better Cities

Unique Landscapes

Quest Award Leveler - Now supports Battlehorn Castle

All Natural

Oblivion Stereo Sound Overhaul

More Immersive Sound Edited v1 OMOD

Storms and Sounds

Reneer's Guard Overhaul

Harvest Flora

Keychain

Color Map Mod

Buy Lockpicks

Merchants Always Buy Stolen Items

Better Water

Real Lava

No More Annoying Messages Fixed

HorsesTurnFaster

Fast Exit

Oblivion Stutter Remover

Thanks, I'll have a look at this. The list is pretty long.

All you really need is Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul + the unofficial patches.

One reason why I'll probably never re-install Oblivion is that before I lost my installation, I had around 3 Gigs of mods. There's no way I'll ever be able to re-mold the game into what I had before.

For Morrowind, it was much simpler, I only installed Better Bodies + Better Faces + a texture conversion mod, and that was it.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.