Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

funcroc

Umbra's the only thing I can really remember, because I got her to chase me to the capital city and then climbed onto a house and let the city guards finish her off.

I had to go away and read a book.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

read a book.

ABout the only thing that can make Oblivion interesting, sadly.

FO3 was such a giant step forward for Bethie's rpg development team, and it's the main thing that gives me any sense of hope for Skyrim. But I'm still concerned, justfiably, I think, that Skyrim is going to be more Oblivion and less FO3.

Not that FO3 was a perfect game, but it was SO much better in SO many ways.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

read a book.

ABout the only thing that can make Oblivion interesting, sadly.

FO3 was such a giant step forward for Bethie's rpg development team, and it's the main thing that gives me any sense of hope for Skyrim. But I'm still concerned, justfiably, I think, that Skyrim is going to be more Oblivion and less FO3.

Not that FO3 was a perfect game, but it was SO much better in SO many ways.

One thing that speaks against progress in Skyrim is that Bethesda supposedly formed a new dev team for FO3 with lots of people brought in. While Skyrim will be designed and developed by the old school core group of people behind the other TES games. So Im expecting awkward and idiotic game design, inane story and a large world filled with meaningless generic dungeons and hidden treasure chests.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

From Pete Hines' twitter:

@DCDeacon Have any of FO:NV's aspects such as RPG mechanics have any influence on development of ESV?

@MrTissueBox Any game you make always has an impact on future games you make. But as I have said, this I TES and so we do what works for TES

I didn't realize Bethesda developed FO:NV.

The thing is that if I calm down I know that the TES games aren't staggeringly awful. They're just staggeringly uninspired. Meaningless killcarry quests in cookie cutter dungeons. All set against a pulp novella fantasy backdrop without any complexity either socially or morally. It's like staring into the eye of a fish. Yes, fine, eyes are clever and I couldn't make one. But boring as porridge. Or the eye of a fish.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

From Pete Hines' twitter:

@DCDeacon Have any of FO:NV's aspects such as RPG mechanics have any influence on development of ESV?

@MrTissueBox Any game you make always has an impact on future games you make. But as I have said, this I TES and so we do what works for TES

I didn't realize Bethesda developed FO:NV.

They totally did all of it. That big Obsidian logo that pops up when you start the game is just for the company who supplied the coffee. In fact, Todd Howard pretty much made all of it himself over the weekend because he is the greatest game designer that ever lived.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

sounds like that may be retconned in skyrim

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

It sounds interesting, and in some ways harkens back to older RPGs where you had runic languages or such and you combined the words to cast spells. As long as they handle having a separate ability other than spells right, so that they're not just spell duplicates or ridiculously powerful things that make you Godlike.

Of course, my optimism is somewhat tempered by...

The new dragon shout system, and the language that supports it prove one thing without a doubt. Bethesda is crafting one of the most intricate video game worlds ever made.

Thanks, brown-nosers, just in case we didn't know about your cozy deals. :)

You know what would be cooler than Skyrim? Skynet.

Now THAT is a game I would preorder.

An open ended Terminator RPG set during the extermination of humanity has the potential to ****ing rock, though I fear the series has been damaged beyond repair in recent years.

The Terminator games Bethesda made were great as I recall, though I actually played them when they were released so the memory is old and rose tinted.

Terminator RPG

Bethesda

are you thinking what I'm thinking?

yes, I'm talking about Obsidian making the Terminator RPG, wouldn't that be so flippin' tyte?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

there are shadows on the models. or you think it's photoshopped?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Any and all screenies should be taken with a grain of salt until we get ingame footage anyway.

(Looks niceish, though.)

I'm having a hard time determining where exactly the lightsource should be coming from, and hence which shadows are obviously missing.

judging by the pillar closest to us, the source of light is to the right. that means the pillar's shadow is beyond eye's reach anyway because of the angle. the other smaller objects do seem to have a shadow, but it's fairly soft

Walsingham said: