Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

funcroc

Take the variability they had for melee combat and apply it to magic.

ehh?

Oblivion had variation to the melee? iirc, it was chop and kill.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

ehh?

Each direction you had did a different attack. Holding back could cause a knockdown. There was another that could disarm. Maybe another that could break through a block, I don't remember specifics.

But the general thing was that it wasn't just chop. You had moves.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

ehh?

Each direction you had did a different attack. Holding back could cause a knockdown. There was another that could disarm. Maybe another that could break through a block, I don't remember specifics.

But the general thing was that it wasn't just chop. You had moves.

I think you're being pretty generous by calling those variations, but technically I suppose you are correct.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I didn't say they had fencing, but they were definitely different. They had different effects, knockbacks, disarms, power attacks. It's not a technically anything.

Edited by Tale

I didn't say they had fencing, but they were definitely different. They had different effects, knockbacks, disarms, power attacks. It's not a technically anything.

They really didn't really add much variation though.

By variation, I'm thinking a two handed double jump back of neck pommel slam into unconscious or something.

You know, variation from Bethie's gruesomely repetitive takes on melee combat.

Slowtrain raises a good point (if I understand correctly) - slower backpedalling with the existing archery system, even if arrows are more powerful, could be weird. You'd also need to look at LOS/draw distance & area design (can you sneak about the undergrowth and find a good faraway spot to start shooting?), as well as enemies' aggro/detection/pathfinding issues, where we usually either have magical homing missile critters that find you after one arrow, or just stand directly against the cliff wall where you shoot them from above.

One thing I like about this forum is that a lot of users regard Bethesda rpgs a bit more honestly than many other places.

Yeah. And it's only honest if it's negative whiny BS, of course.

I mean, woe those who actually enjoy the Elder Scrolls series. Bunch of liars, all of them!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

One thing I like about this forum is that a lot of users regard Bethesda rpgs a bit more honestly than many other places.

Yeah. And it's only honest if it's negative whiny BS, of course.

I mean, woe those who actually enjoy the Elder Scrolls series. Bunch of liars, all of them!

There are people who enjoy cross-species erotica, too. That does not make it a socially accepted pastime.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Slowtrain raises a good point (if I understand correctly) - slower backpedalling with the existing archery system, even if arrows are more powerful, could be weird. You'd also need to look at LOS/draw distance & area design (can you sneak about the undergrowth and find a good faraway spot to start shooting?), as well as enemies' aggro/detection/pathfinding issues, where we usually either have magical homing missile critters that find you after one arrow, or just stand directly against the cliff wall where you shoot them from above.

I agree the sudden homing in on you after you fire an arrow is lame, but at least they are upping the damage. If I can take out an enemy consistently in 1-2 shots, I won't need to backpedal so much.

I agree the sudden homing in on you after you fire an arrow is lame, but at least they are upping the damage. If I can take out an enemy consistently in 1-2 shots, I won't need to backpedal so much.

As long as the damage numbers come way way up then no more backpedaling might work to some degree. Also no more of that stuff where you're standing on top of a column shooting down at enemy and then he magically warps up right beside you. Bunch of crap that was.

Sure, running backwards while shooting was always dumb and completely unrealistic, but having to shoot an enemy with 500 arrows to bring him down was also dumb and unrealistic. The latter dumb mechanic made the former dumb mechanic neccessary to make archers playable character types. Making arrows one hit kills would end the silly need for running at al.

@mkreku: I loved Daggerfall and found some good things in MW, so I personally am hardly critical of the ES series as a whole, but I am highly critical of the turns Bethie has taken with it following Daggerfall. Especially since a lot of their gameplay mechanic desicions, primarily in Oblivion, are horrible. And the writing has good down the tubes so badly since MOrrowind that it's a joke.

I'm totally willing to buy the fact that Oblivion might be a "worst case scenario" kind of thing, especially since FO3 was so much better, and the SKyrim might be a vast improvement. We'll see.

I'm totally willing to buy the fact that Oblivion might be a "worst case scenario" kind of thing, especially since FO3 was so much better, and the SKyrim might be a vast improvement. We'll see.

You guys obviously are not using Bethesda-logic when making this kind of argument. Just because they did FO3 doesnt mean they will use the lessons they learned from that in Skyrim, they will probably just go crazy with minigames and awful mechanics again. And it will be ugly like nothing you've seen before. For instance, FO3 had the exact same horrible animation that Oblivion did.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

You guys obviously are not using Bethesda-logic when making this kind of argument. Just because they did FO3 doesnt mean they will use the lessons they learned from that in Skyrim, they will probably just go crazy with minigames and awful mechanics again. And it will be ugly like nothing you've seen before. For instance, FO3 had the exact same horrible animation that Oblivion did.

In the end you're probably 100% correct, but still I remain hopeful.

I'm stupid that way. :)

It's easy to be hopeful about ES games. Even if they turn out terrible, they are super moddable and someone will go through and make them better.

Glass always half full with you. I haven't played Morrowind and FO3 got the bad parts of being Fallout fan to show up and ruin the whole game for me, but Oblivion was frustrating. World was big but it was so simple that it felt like they just made a skeleton of a game so modders can flesh it out for them.

Hmh I guess I just don't like their way of making games in general.

When I think of Fallout 3, I'm always reminded of the Overlords and Albino Radscorpions.

I can only hope that they don't botch Skyrim leveling so badly that the only way they can challenge players is by ignoring armor and having more health than god.

I can only hope that they took a look at demon's souls for ways to increase challenge without resorting to just putting a million hit points into a meatbag that ignores armor.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

A lot of that sounds great, and it SOUNDS like Todd Howard and his people are aware of how little personality Oblivion had and they are looking to make up for it.

But Oblivion sounded great at first, too.

So.

-Every city and town is bound to some particular resources meaning if you burn their mill or mine, you affect their economy and they'll be forced to buy flour or mineral somewhere else and when you'll want to buy these resources here again it will be more expensive. (good thing for evil characters :) and maybe desctructible environnement?)

Sounds awesome, except... well, why the hell do you need to buy flour? Do they want you to larp a baker? It woudl be excellent if they had things like various ore mines competing with each other and whole towns' livelihood depending on those mines - so that if you mess up one town's production it will have an impact on factions or other quests.

However, most likely it's only related to "-Speaking of jobs : woodcutting, weaponsmithing, sells stuffs you made to the forge or to the mill..." :)

-Dragons can be unpredictible in their behaviour, they will fly in the air, crawl on the land, they can crash when wounded.

Doesn't sound particularly unpredictable.

-it seems he says that when most NPCs give you a quest, they'll give you precise directions or accompany you to the road showing you which direction to take to go on on you quest.

Better than the quest compass. Unless you have both. In that case, roflmao. might as well retcon the lore so that every person carries teleport stones and can teleport you straight to wherever they need you to go. ;)