Deus Ex 3

Pidesco

Hm, a bit harder to be negative about it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And for the next batch...

G4 - Deus Ex - Xbox 360 Hands on Preview

IGN - Does Human Revolution feel like Deus Ex?

Joystiq - Deus Ex Humane Decisions

Heh..

I also noticed that once I cleared the Sarif facility, I was able to backtrack through, kill all the friendly guards and steal their weapons. I asked if this was a bug and a representative for Eidos Montreal told me no. He said my actions would cause something else to happen further down the line. That's pretty cool.

Yeah, this looks like its getting that old Deus Ex feel.. Here's to hoping that lasts..

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

ok. I'm now sold on the game.

well done gaming media. well done.

If its not good i will be very sad :)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Finished off reading Deus Ex: The Icarus Effect earlier..

Not bad actually, set just before the game, and runs into that 6 month period when Jensen's in recovery. Nicely adds to the surrounding world and has a few nods to the fans.

Mostly bounces between the perspectives of two characters , one a secret service agent suspended for investigating the shooting that claimed her partner's life, and the other is a former special ops guy turned mercenary who gets recruited into an "off-the-books" black ops outfit.

Even throws in a young Gunther Hermann and elaborates on how he ends up so heavily augmented... so a touch of fan-service there. :shifty:

Nothing about it really jumped out as potentially spoilery towards the game's story so far (at least nothing that made me go "curses! that's ruined the game for me by knowing that ahead of time."). So , more running parallel to those events with a few hints and nods towards it.

Finished off reading Deus Ex: The Icarus Effect earlier..

Not bad actually, set just before the game, and runs into that 6 month period when Jensen's in recovery. Nicely adds to the surrounding world and has a few nods to the fans.

Mostly bounces between the perspectives of two characters , one a secret service agent suspended for investigating the shooting that claimed her partner's life, and the other is a former special ops guy turned mercenary who gets recruited into an "off-the-books" black ops outfit.

Even throws in a young Gunther Hermann and elaborates on how he ends up so heavily augmented... so a touch of fan-service there. :shifty:

Nothing about it really jumped out as potentially spoilery towards the game's story so far (at least nothing that made me go "curses! that's ruined the game for me by knowing that ahead of time."). So , more running parallel to those events with a few hints and nods towards it.

There's a prequel novel?

James Swallow... quite a number of licensed works, Star Trek, Warhammer 40k, Stargate. novelization of Butterfly Effect?

I'm skeptical. Was it good? How's the writing style?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

There's a prequel novel?

James Swallow... quite a number of licensed works, Star Trek, Warhammer 40k, Stargate. novelization of Butterfly Effect?

I'm skeptical. Was it good? How's the writing style?

Yes, that's the author. He was also involved in writing Deus Ex Human Revolution.. so he has that inside track from that.

It's not bad. It was worth the couple of pounds I spent on it.

It's got that awkward timeline, since it's not totally a prequel and it spans a base of time. It starts up at x point and then near mid-point you have some references to the attack at Seraf Industries..and then runs along a bit more post-Seraf attack. There are characters who are connected to it, but you don't get any real detail on what happened.

One weird thing, the couple of characters in the book who are also in on the attack on Seraf.. I could never quite decide if you were getting a bigger feel for them in the book (a fleshing out more as it were) then we will in the game, or that they were being kept a touch flat to not reveal things we'd find out about them in the game.

Although it is more about a seperate line of the Illuminati's plans. Highlighting how they use lots of small manipulations to build groundswells in certain directions.

Another point in it, technically this was around the date when the game was originally planned to be released... So I'm guessing the book was meant to be published at the same time.. rather then x months earlier.

Edit:

Heh, and James Swallow turned up on the Eidos forum thread about the book.. and when asked if he prefered orange or lime-aid.. passed the test with " I vant oh-range".

And for the internet win..

Originally Posted by Kodaemon on the eidos boards

What mode of narration does the book use? If it's first person narration, does it switch to third person when the lead character climbs a ladder? Because that would be so COOL!

Edited by Raithe

is the laser sword possibly returning in HR? I thought it was super newfangled technology in the original game.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The one in DX wasn't a laser, it was nanotech. They could use any number of variations on the idea of incredibly powerful awesome sword if they want to have it in HR. They could do one of laser or plasma. Or "vibrating."

good to know. My favorite concept of a "powerful" sword/melee weapon they could add in the game is one made of an incredibly heavy alloy that could only be wielded by a powered up man-machine.

its not so much how sharp it is, as it is being hit by something that weighs as much as a steel girder, but taking up the volume of a short 2x4. hawt.

of course, how would you carry it around? it would pull your pants down if you tied it to your belt.

Edited by entrerix

good to know. My favorite concept of a "powerful" sword/melee weapon they could add in the game is one made of an incredibly heavy alloy that could only be wielded by a powered up man-machine.

its not so much how sharp it is, as it is being hit by something that weighs as much as a steel girder, but taking up the volume of a short 2x4. hawt.

of course, how would you carry it around? it would pull your pants down if you tied it to your belt.

CloudStrife.jpg

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Are there even melee weapons in DE:HR? All the previews, etc., I've seen have described melee combat involving the use of your augmentated body parts as the weapons, rather than anything you pick up and swing around.

Amazon just e-mailed me that it's been delayed to December 31st. I'm sure that's just a delay to "we don't know when" so they tentatively stuck it at the end of the year.

i saw them post that as the date a few weeks ago, I personally am expecting the game in september.

Are there even melee weapons in DE:HR? All the previews, etc., I've seen have described melee combat involving the use of your augmentated body parts as the weapons, rather than anything you pick up and swing around.

So far everything they've said when specifically mentioning melee is indeed either the lethal or non-lethal takedowns you can do with fists or blades from the augmentations.

Also, every takedown you do uses up some "energy" from your bar. The first segment/bar of energy replenishes itself slowly, but any others require food and snacks eaten to restore bio-electric energy...

Which apparently is part of making it very hard to be wildly melee, especially early in the game.

There is the close-range stungun/taser prod thing though... I don't think there's been mention of whether it's a short range gun or a melee style weapon...

i'm guessing that the one-hit takedown's are what use up energy, but you still have the option to just equip a crowbar and swing away. maybe not though, maybe they have decided to focus on hand to hand combat over melee (i'm ok with this either way)

i'm guessing that the one-hit takedown's are what use up energy, but you still have the option to just equip a crowbar and swing away. maybe not though, maybe they have decided to focus on hand to hand combat over melee (i'm ok with this either way)

And takedowns will be different depending on whether you've stealthed up on someone, or are running into them face first...

Throw in the context sensitive aspect of what the surroundings are like as well, and they might prove quite entertaining..

Amazon just e-mailed me that it's been delayed to December 31st. I'm sure that's just a delay to "we don't know when" so they tentatively stuck it at the end of the year.

Is this a bad sign?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Is this a bad sign?

That depends on how full your glass is, and what it is you choose to fill it with.

I don't really think it means anything. No release date has been given, it's all guesswork. The only thing we know is that Square delayed it until the next financial year.