Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

Inception.

Pseudo intellectual garbage. Its Matrix all over again, only with less style and more bs.

I watched this too, and I'm astonished that it was totally NOT intellectual or difficult to understand. I didn't even notice any pretense of it either.

I actually liked it a lot, but it was just a heist movie with a gimmick. Watching this flick made me lose a lot of faith in humanity - I keep hearing from people that they didn't understand it, or that it was hard to follow. It wasn't. It was hella straightforward and everything was chewed up and fed to the audience. "You have to really pay attention", yeah, only because a lot of things happen. Not because these things are difficult to understand.

If you didn't understand it, I'm sorry, but you must have ADD or something, or you're just stupid.

Exactly. I'm particularly pissed at it because everyone is treating it like a philosophy textbook.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Todd & The Book Of Pure Evil: TV series. Funny, and entertaining but definitely only for those who have a twisted JUVENILE sense of humour.

The Defenders: Quickly becoming my favorite lawyers based show with only The Practice beating it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I was just impressed that they were able to pull off a decent movie out of the entire idea of Inception. It wasn't exactly your standard action plot. Maybe you went into it with too many preconceptions.

It obviously wasn't that hard to follow, otherwise it would never have been a blockbuster.

Personally I prefer to go into every movie with no expectations. It makes it a better experience most of the time.

The Social Network - Very well-written dialogue, great performances from the actors. Overall, one of the best movies of 2010.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I was just impressed that they were able to pull off a decent movie out of the entire idea of Inception. It wasn't exactly your standard action plot. Maybe you went into it with too many preconceptions.

It obviously wasn't that hard to follow, otherwise it would never have been a blockbuster.

Personally I prefer to go into every movie with no expectations. It makes it a better experience most of the time.

This makes me angry.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/scifi

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

This makes me angry.

I doubt Inception has the staying power of most of the first ten films on that list, so I wouldn't stress it. In a couple years it will fade to a more reasonable number.

This makes me angry.

I now share your anger.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

This makes me angry.

I now share your anger.

Dubious as IMDB might have seemed at times, I presume that each year more an more teens are joining the site and wreaking havoc on the established scores with each seasonal blockbuster. The longer I watch the lists the worse it gets. The formula that drives the lists can't balance out the swarms of 10's that are given out like candy, and the moderate crowd is getting completely drowned out.

logosig2.jpg

This makes me angry.

I now share your anger.

Dubious as IMDB might have seemed at times, I presume that each year more an more teens are joining the site and wreaking havoc on the established scores with each seasonal blockbuster. The longer I watch the lists the worse it gets. The formula that drives the lists can't balance out the swarms of 10's that are given out like candy, and the moderate crowd is getting completely drowned out.

So we are caught between the extremes of the public's darlings or critic's playthings. Lucky that I don't pay attention to those lists.

Edit: Young Frankenstein is now sci fi :) putting on the RIIIIIIITTZ!!!

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Well, he is a mad scientist.

So it's Dr. StrangeLove and he's not on the list. Love me some Kubrick man!

village_idiot.gif

Edit: Young Frankenstein is now sci fi o:) putting on the RIIIIIIITTZ!!!

Why wouldn't it be sci-fi? In the early 19th century, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein helped define the form of the science fiction novel. Just because Young Frankenstein is a comedy at heart doesn't mean that it's not sci-fi as well.

It's horror, not sci-fi. At least that's the way that has been always described, probably because there is an inherent fear of the dead and it was considered macabre to experiment on them. Much less bringing them back to life, but it could be looked at as slightly "siency" as it was based on real events.... loosely based on real events.

village_idiot.gif

At least that's the way that has been always described, probably because there is an inherent fear of the dead and it was considered macabre to experiment on them. Much less bringing them back to life, but it could be looked at as slightly "siency" as it was based on real events.... loosely based on real events.

I agree it is more horror. But, uh, based on real events? Care to fill me in? I've never heard of Frankenstein being based on any real science.

At least that's the way that has been always described, probably because there is an inherent fear of the dead and it was considered macabre to experiment on them. Much less bringing them back to life, but it could be looked at as slightly "siency" as it was based on real events.... loosely based on real events.

I agree it is more horror. But, uh, based on real events? Care to fill me in? I've never heard of Frankenstein being based on any real science.

There was a real life Frankenstein-type doctor called Johann K. Dippel whom experimented on galvanism. He "animated" dead bodies by running electric currents through them and handling them as if were puppet strings, put on a show and became the talk of the town. Shelley probably heard the tale and used as inspiration for her novel.

I still think that it was written too early to call it a science fiction book.

village_idiot.gif

I still think that it was written too early to call it a science fiction book.

So was most of the stuff we consider to be early (or proto) science fiction stories. Science fiction, as a genre, was merely coined to group writings that already existed.

However, in that Frankenstein (the novel) is a cautionary tale about science without moral boundaries and the ramification of science on its main characters it has all the hallmarks of science fiction. That it is also a horror tale is beside the point, IMO.

BTW, Johann Konrad Dippel passed away 50 years before the process of galvanism was truly founded by Luigi Galvini and his exploration of "animal electricity" (it is Galvini's reports that are specifically mentioned in Frankenstein). While Dippel did indeed live at the real Castle Frankenstein and had a "reputation" (some of it - if not all - totally unfounded with evidence many stories were manufactured well after his death), its unclear how influential he was on the novel or if Shelly had even heard of him as there was also a town called Frankenstein at the time (now known as Ząbkowice Śląskie)

I watched THE GREEN SLIME (crazy Japanese/Italian/US co-production - lots of fun but one of the main characters is so incredibly stupid its amazing!), MATANGO (moody Japanese Horror film that's part breakdown of society in small form in the face of looming death and part creepy 60s style nightmarish body horror) and HOUSE (Japanese Haunted House film and one of the weirdest coming of age films in which the main characters cheerfully go to their doom amid bizarre visuals).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I wonder if there'd be any goodness in trying to write a rennaissance notion of 'science' fiction. That is extrapolating from their notions of science. Which were a bit mad.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I wonder if there'd be any goodness in trying to write a rennaissance notion of 'science' fiction. That is extrapolating from their notions of science. Which were a bit mad.

Not on quite the same track, but have you looked at the Ring of Fire / 1632 books at all? They do put some effort into historical accuracy to a point..and try to put the point of view of how people in the early 17th century saw science..and advanced technology...

On the film front.. I caught Megamind over the weekend... which was fairly amusing. Nothing too stretching, but entertaining in its way.

Not quite to compare with some of the laughs caused when I watched Machete.. now that's a glorious film in its way. The hospital escape alone is worth watching the movie. Throw in a large amount of typical Rodriguez violence, a bevy of cute latinas, and the fun of spotting every clip from the "original" trailer shown in the Grindhouse that they managed to get into the "real" movie..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm mad that Wall-E isn't higher on the list than ESB. What a snub.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Deathly Hallows. Holy ****. Best one yet... /nerdgasm

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS