The Iraq war was a disgrace, but sometimes we forget just how much

Humodour

"Saddam Hussein was also an aggressor that invaded a country in 1991."

He was invading coutnries before that. His war with Iran was absolutely devasting to Iraq.

There's a reason why Iraq was attacked and countries like Iran and even NK haven't been despite them being harassed about their 'evil' ways....

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 2 years later...

Must be scraping the bottom of the idea barrel to necro an almost three year old thread to whine butthurt about a war that's over.

I don't think oby's barrel has a bottom.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Most people know I am pro-western and support almost all the military decisions that the West makes but I have to say the invasion of Iraq was a real disaster and completely unnecessary. And to be honest its Iraq that is suffering the most in there new political and uncertain future.

I have been thinking hard about some sort of benefit around the Iraq war and its difficult but I will say this. The invasion of Iraq and the subsequent aftermath led to a new political reality in the USA. The Neo-cons ideology was swept away and a new era in American politics came to be, the era where a liberal, black man can be the leader of the most powerful country in the world. We have seen a real and positive paradigm shift in the way the American foreign policy operates, well its positive in most cases.( the lack of action is Syria is an example of the failure)

I remember in 2005 watching a Neo-Con politician saying " the UN was dead and a redundant organisation". The arrogance of the likes of **** Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld use to astound me. There view was "its the American way or no way". The USA has learnt from this and has made several changes. They don't operate militarily in a unilateral fashion unless directly threatened and gone are the hyperbolic statements like " the axis of evil" that' use to incite many countries

This is a good thing for all people who believe in Western culture and ideology as we need the USA to lead the way in global affairs in a way that is reasonable and consolatory. So I feel terrible for the state of Iraq but the changes in the American political machinery I believe benefit the world and its future stability and economic growth

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

L0L

That's a good point Volo, and intellectually that's probably the only contribution you can make towards this discussion. But well done for trying :biggrin:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So I feel terrible for the state of Iraq but the changes in the American political machinery I believe benefit the world and its future stability and economic growth

What changes ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't know about that Bruce. The liberal black man might well give rise to the libertarian right in the US and if it does you will see the US become much less interventionist in foreign policy. I don't know if that is a good thing to you but I think it is absolutely necessary.

I've always wondered what the real reason for the Iraq invasion was. I've often speculated that is was to secure a stable platform on Iran's western border to compliment Afghanistan to the east. That was if war with Iran ever became needed they would be surrounded by enemies. That kind of tactical disadvantage might have been enough to keep them in line without fighting. But if that was the objective I'd say it was pretty well botched. But then again I think I might be giving the Bush admin too much credit. I don't think they were capable of that level of thinking.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well the US as a whole has always been pretty bad at geography, and maybe they just figured they were already in the neighborhood with Afghanistan, so they might as well get rid of Iraq.   :aiee:

Hey! That's not true

I know exactly where Iraq is

Here see

38444794002_large.jpg

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I note that no-one has ventured anything beyond a single undated photograph with which to summarise Iraq's current state of affairs.

:skeptical:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 10 months later...

Sunni Militants Drive Iraqi Army Out of Mosul

BAGHDAD — Iraqi army soldiers abandoned their weapons and fled the northern Iraqi city of Mosul on Tuesday, as Sunni militants freed hundreds of prisoners and seized military bases, police stations, banks, the airport and the provincial governor’s headquarters. The attacks widened the Sunni insurgency in Iraq and were among the most audacious assaults on the government since the American military withdrawal more than two years ago.

The rout in Mosul, the second-largest Iraqi city after Baghdad and an important center of the country’s petroleum industry, was breathtaking in its speed and appeared to take government officials by surprise, not to mention residents of the city and surrounding Nineveh Province. A major humiliation for the government forces in Iraq’s Sunni-dominated areas, the defeat also reflected the stamina of the Sunni insurgency, which has been growing with the war in neighboring Syria.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Yeah. I had to look at Wikipedia to remind myself what and where an Iraq is. In the meantime, stock market is at near record highs!

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I note that no-one has ventured anything beyond a single undated photograph with which to summarise Iraq's current state of affairs.

:skeptical:

That picture reminded me of an old photo from Kabul, Afghanistan taken in the 70's of Young women in a public park wearing miniskirts. Also, in the 80's Indonesian women wore very western fashions, but in the 90's, headscarves became more and more prevalent amongst even the mainstream.

All have nothing to do with an American invasion.

Wait, what happened in Afghanistan in the 70's? Soviet Union something or another?

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Although I have to question the Chinese founder's choice of pseudonym... they call him 'Deep Throat'.

You wrote all that and you end it with "but I really have no freaking idea what I'm talking about".

Wow.

Wait, what happened in Afghanistan in the 70's? Soviet Union something or another?

Something much more complicated that any one country/faction/something similar could be blamed for it alone.

Which was why I made the same essential statement as Oby, only substituting the Soviet Union with and with sarcasm.

The rise of ISIS in Iraq and Syria is something I raised a while ago

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64935-the-rise-of-isis/?hl=isis

In summary parts of the Sunni community in Iraq have felt marginalized by the Shia dominated current Iraqi government. This has lead to them aligning with more fundamentalist Sunni groups like Al-Qaeda and now you have the creation of ISIS which is destabilizing Iraq and weakening the Syrian rebels in there campaign against Assad

We should care as a politically tumultuous Middle East is not good for any country in the world because of the impact to oil production and obviously the humanitarian issues that come with civil wars

Also there is the reality that if the West hadn't invaded Iraq we wouldn't have the likes of ISIS in existence at all so there is some level of responsibility that some Western countries need to recognise

John Milton 

The west are of course at fault for creating the power vacuum that exists now in the region.

However, however the people themselves there are to be blamed as well. Anti-democratic, anti-modern and reactionary guerillas do not appear out thin air. They come from local homes, from local businesses with local values. Anything else would be like blaming the British for the American Civil War.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy