The Cataclysm is coming!

Calax

Nothing will ever top the original WoW intro. There's something really beautiful about it which I can't quite pin down.

I miss vanilla WoW, to be honest. It lost a lot of its charm with all the expansions.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Possibly the Maelstrom where you take on Queen Azhara

Emerald Dream or bust.

>:(

That's been fix'd in a book. It's how we get Malfurion Stormrage back.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

:( I want more Teron Gorefiend!

Gorefiend subverting the Ebon Blade and having a DK civil war!

That's kinda what's been suggested with Cata.

The Undead have attacked south and are hitting Gilneas, Night elves have been ejected from Ashenvale (which has been deforested) and the alliance has made a push into southern barrens.

Wasn't there a boss that was so powerful even the titans could only seal him away or something? Isn't DW a step back from that?

Also, whazzup with good ol' Anub-arak?

That would be the old gods in general. So far there are three known of, C'thun, Yogg Saron, and a nameless one impaled by a MASSIVE spear. C'thun was taken on in the AQ40 raid back in the vanilla game, and Yogg-Saron has been reimprisoned in Ulduar in Wrath.

We (the players) haven't actually killed these guys, just sent them into remission if you will. C'thun is being revived for the expansion (I believe) and Yogg-Saron currently has the norse pantheon guarding it, now that we freed them from the crazy that Loken (Loki) hit them with.

Anub-arak got a bit shafted in the expansion. He appeared "alive" in a 5 man dungeon. Meaning that he was literally killed over a million times during dungeon running. The fanbase yelled because it wasn't doing him justice, so the developers brought him back to life for the Trial of the Crusader raid as the final (technically "surprise") boss.

There is nobody in Icecrown Citadel who a Warcraft player would know (I mean the strat games) beyond Arthas (I think there shoudl have been other guys in there that were with the King for a long time). Arthas is officially dead (mainly due to the souls within frostmourne rebelling against him). The way he died was... spectacular in showing the players that we are just insignificant gnats compared to him (as part of the fight, when he hits 10% life he waves his hand and kills your raid. Terenas, his father, appears out of Frostmourne, and brings the raid back to life and uses the souls in the sword out to hold Arthas while you beat him into the floor.)

Although, by far the hardest boss fight was with Algalon the Observer. Admittedly he became easier with gear, but Algalon and Yogg-Saron are two of the hardest fights in the game currently (barring Arthas and Sindragosa hardmodes). Algalon is actually a Titan... In the ulduar story arc, you learn about Yogg Saron breaking his prison and subverting his guardians (mainly loken). As part of the 5 man arc (meaning before the actual raid) you enter the Halls of Lightning and fight Loken, killing him (of course). When he died however, a signal was triggered by Titan safeguards that informed them something was very.. very wrong (Loken had frozen the signal about Yogg's prison). They sent Algalon to investigate and determine if Azeroth should be rebuilt (meaning all life would be eliminated, and the entire planet sundered to start anew). So (of course) the raid has to fight back against Algalon, you actually "summon" him (basically they made it so you couldn't take him on until you were good enough to try) and get exactly one hour from the time you summon him to beat him, otherwise he departs to inform the titans that Azeroth needs to be reordered. For Lore sake, they say we beat him (very few actually pulled it off when it was "current") and apparently the denizens of Azeroth are the first to fight back, which causes a bit of an existential quandary for Algalon

* I have seen worlds bathed in the Makers' flames. Their denizens fading without so much as a whimper. Entire planetary systems born and raised in the time that it takes your mortal hearts to beat once. Yet all throughout, my own heart, devoid of emotion... of empathy. I... have... felt... NOTHING! A million, million lives wasted. Had they all held within them your tenacity? Had they all loved life as you do?

* Perhaps it is your imperfection that which grants you free will. That allows you to persevere against cosmically calculated odds. You prevailed where the Titans' own perfect creations have failed.

* I've rearranged the reply code. Your planet will be spared. I cannot be certain of my own calculations anymore.

* I lack the strength to transmit the signal. You must hurry. Find a place of power close to the skies.

* Do not worry about my fate <name>. If the signal is not transmitted in time re-origination will proceed regardless. Save. Your. World.

Basically he feels an emotion for once, and then gives you a code that'll prevent the other titans from rebuilding the planet while he wonders off to ponder this.

Why I just went on that tangent I don't know.

It'd be fun to have a raid in which we lose, lore-wise.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Pft, EVE and its scams have enhanced my paranoia.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Killed Sindragosa for the first time last night, great fight! Then the LK punched all our blood out.

Did you see the phase transitition? Watching that platform slowly disintegrate is awesome!

Killed Sindragosa for the first time last night, great fight! Then the LK punched all our blood out.

Did you see the phase transitition? Watching that platform slowly disintegrate is awesome!

Where the outer ring collapses? Yeah, thats where it all went downhill on us.

I had never fought either of these two fights until last night so I was pumped that it only took three tries to down Sindragosa. I want that "Kingslayer" title so bad....

The king will take you a while. Probably not as long as it would have, but still a while (I'm still fighting for my kingslayer... somehow I end up always getting gyped out of a final raid boss kill...)

Conversely I have to say I felt Sindragosa was the worst boss since some of the notorious vanilla ones. Top (or should I say bottom) 5 least enjoyable overall definitely - primarily because for most roles it involves enforced periods of doing absolutely nothing, with no payoff.

But just a trip down memory lane, other badly designed raid bosses:

Molten Core - Shazzrah - If you're a melee character, stand at edge of room and do nothing

AQ20 - Moam - Stack classes capable of mana drain

AQ40 - Princess Huhuran - Go back to Maraudon to farm green level 30 nature resist gear (note that initially the blue craftable NR gear was not available)

AQ40 - Viscidus - Poison cleansing totem or die. Which means since Alliance had no shaman at the time, if you're Alliance, you die.

Naxx (classic) - Loatheb - Farm Scarlet Monastery for shadow protection potions. Several hundred of them.

Mount Hyjal - Azgalor - Random death mechanic. While this is not in itself unique - Vaelastrasz and Teron Gorefiend also had auto-death mechanics - this was alone in providing no compensation, i.e. the Burning Adrenaline buff or the ghost minigame.

Special mention to Hakkar v1 - One tank fights alone, healers on platform below, all DPS do nothing except get yourself poisoned every once in a while.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Conversely I have to say I felt Sindragosa was the worst boss since some of the notorious vanilla ones. Top (or should I say bottom) 5 least enjoyable overall definitely - primarily because for most roles it involves enforced periods of doing absolutely nothing, with no payoff.

But just a trip down memory lane, other badly designed raid bosses:

Molten Core - Shazzrah - If you're a melee character, stand at edge of room and do nothing

AQ20 - Moam - Stack classes capable of mana drain

AQ40 - Princess Huhuran - Go back to Maraudon to farm green level 30 nature resist gear (note that initially the blue craftable NR gear was not available)

AQ40 - Viscidus - Poison cleansing totem or die. Which means since Alliance had no shaman at the time, if you're Alliance, you die.

Naxx (classic) - Loatheb - Farm Scarlet Monastery for shadow protection potions. Several hundred of them.

Mount Hyjal - Azgalor - Random death mechanic. While this is not in itself unique - Vaelastrasz and Teron Gorefiend also had auto-death mechanics - this was alone in providing no compensation, i.e. the Burning Adrenaline buff or the ghost minigame.

Special mention to Hakkar v1 - One tank fights alone, healers on platform below, all DPS do nothing except get yourself poisoned every once in a while.

Molten Core - Baron Geddon was worse than Shazzrah.

Zul'Gurub - Jin'Do was ****ing horrific.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

No Vael "Destroyer of Guilds" Humanoid?

I took a 3-week holiday while my guild fought Vael for the first time. When I returned, Razorgore was fairly routine and Vael was mostly learnt (probably killed it 2-3 weeks after that). We were a couple months at least behind on the bleeding edge of raiding so this wouldn't have mirrored their experiences. Besides, it wasn't a bad fight in theory, just grossly unbalanced in favour of warriors and rogues - and I was the latter.

Molten Core - Baron Geddon was worse than Shazzrah.

Zul'Gurub - Jin'Do was ****ing horrific.

I probably wouldn't notice how bad Shazzrah was if I wasn't a melee class. Had no particular difficulty with Geddon, the only people in danger there are the leadership team (bounty of 100g if you managed to explode on the guild leader).

Jin'do was an odd one - when we brought our best DPS squad it wasn't actually too bad. There's a bit of a threshold to it, once damage output exceeds the requirement it was a more reliable kill than some other bosses. With a weaker squad, we'd skip it, yes. Conversely, Thekal (tiger boss) was incredibly tank-gear dependent.

EDIT: I should probably clarify that tmy observations are intended to relate to badly designed encounters instead of difficult ones.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm surprised you didn't include Archimonde in there given his "If anyone dies' you're completely boned" and "Here, have a trail of fire that you leave and have to avoid everyone else while doing it and make sure that it doesn't block people" mechanics.

Kitt, thing is that in Cata, hp pools are gonna be 100k for tanks 50-75k for everyone else I think. We just don't have the gear yet (which is why they reversed the change to resil until cata actually pops out). They're also trying to make battlegrounds replace arenas as the place to pvp because it's easier to balance than pvp.

http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/59486/battlep...the-apocalypse/

http://www.wowpedia.org/Blightborne_Warplate

http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/59490/membrane-of-cthun/

http://www.wowpedia.org/Sanctified_Lasherweave_Raiment

Compare the stam numbers on those items.

http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/59498/hands-o...ilight-council/

You're going to have a HUGE pile of health to play with