Fallout: New Vegas

J.E. Sawyer

to tell you the truth I'd rather not have a variety of enemies in my Fallout, if it's something like the crab-people... I'll have my usual set of rats/radscorpions/humans/supermutants/deathclaws, thank you.

Well, hopefully, there would be a middle ground between absurd fantasy monsters and mutated wasteland critters that would keep the encounters interesting. Hordes of mole rats and dogs and 17 flavors of feral ghoul gets old quick.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Silencers, you say?

I wonder, in Hardcore will they be more appropriate suppressors or is are we stuck with the silencer?

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Well, hopefully, there would be a middle ground between absurd fantasy monsters and mutated wasteland critters that would keep the encounters interesting. Hordes of mole rats and dogs and 17 flavors of feral ghoul gets old quick.

It doesn't really look like much has changed in that regard with New Vegas. From the previews/videos the enemy variety looks just slightly better than in Fallout 3.

Yes, because rats were so enormously fun to fight in the earlier Fallout's.. :p

heh. hell, no! The repititous and uninspired enemies were a problem in both Fallout 1 and 2 as well. Big difference though is that Fallout 3 is much more combat-centric than ithe others, consequently the lack of interesting enemies is both more noticeable and more unavoidable.

It doesn't really look like much has changed in that regard with New Vegas. From the previews/videos the enemy variety looks just slightly better than in Fallout 3.

Yep. I'm just hoping that Obs' take on Fallout 3 has more going for it than just combat. With more to do that is not about killing things, the repitious nature of the combat would be less of a problem. SImply because it would be less of the gameplay.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

On the one hand, you're probably right in that we'll have Geckos and Bighorns in the place of Mirelurks and Yogis. But, on the other hand, I have some hope that the wider scope of human (and ghoulish and supermutant) factions and the larger selection of available weapons leads to a more varied experience in fighting humanoid enemies.

And there was much rejoicing.

You mean like pressing a pillow against the barrel or something more high-tech from the Brotherhood?

I mean the things people keep calling silencers, but they aren't.

What the **** is this? Beastman? I mean, it looks better than the fugly tesla armor from Fallout 3, but still...

Edited by Gorth
Must be that German accent...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

What the **** is this? Beastman? I mean, it looks better than the fugly tesla armor from Fallout 3, but still...

It looks like some sort of upgraded version of the Advanced Power Armor Mk I...I am guessing that could be the Poseidon Power Armor. Can't say I like the design that much, but it's decent. Would have been better if they didn't take the screenshot with that ridiculous tribal helmet.

Edited by Gorth
For consistency with quote

Silencers, you say?

I wonder, in Hardcore will they be more appropriate suppressors or is are we stuck with the silencer?

You don't engage enemies at a long enough range in F3 or F:NV for the suppression of a supersonic round to be of particularly high value. The "realistic" supersonic crack of a suppressed .308 round is still pretty loud. That said, a quality suppressor firing subsonic ammunition will often only generate sound from the cycling of the action.

Since the engine only classifies weapons as "loud", "normal", and "silent", it doesn't leave much room for gradation.

Moreimportanly, is that gun what I think it is? :p

Ugly piece of ****? Yes. :>

Hate the Fallout 3 gauss. Hell, I even hate the Fallout 2 gauss. I hate the gauss in general and the horrible weapon balance that has Fallout 2. I am a german, my live is full of hate. Hurr durr. But I am serious. I don't like that weapons.

/Edit: But what I like on that screen is actually the landscape. Helios One in the background looks pretty small, so I'll guess the desert part in between is pretty big.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

that new armor picture made me laugh out loud. that helmet is priceless.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Silencers, you say?

You don't engage enemies at a long enough range in F3 or F:NV for the suppression of a supersonic round to be of particularly high value. The "realistic" supersonic crack of a suppressed .308 round is still pretty loud. That said, a quality suppressor firing subsonic ammunition will often only generate sound from the cycling of the action.

Since the engine only classifies weapons as "loud", "normal", and "silent", it doesn't leave much room for gradation.

I think I was being slightly obnoxious, but thanks for the response. Hollywood silencers are a minor pet peeve of mine. One I can ignore, especially since the general audience probably come to expect the silent silencer.

The range point is a good one I never even thought about. I don't expect most games operate at the kind of ranges for that.

Edited by Tale

Moreimportanly, is that gun what I think it is? :p

Ugly piece of ****? Yes. :>

Well, yeah, but there's still nothing like shooting a wanamingo in the eyes? and blowing it's brains across the mine. :3

stealth WAS broken in F3, at least so far as being unable to kill someone quietly without having the whole town erupt on you anyway

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

stealth WAS broken in F3, at least so far as being unable to kill someone quietly without having the whole town erupt on you anyway

That was... Alpha Protocol.

But seriously, never happened to me. There was a bug with Mister Sandman perk that would cause this, never picked it though.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.