RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

Drakensang: tRoT finally leaving the Heimat.

Drakensang: TRoT has already been published here ages ago. :thumbsup:

Yeah, you guys even got the cool cover.

What the hell - ITS OUT???

NO REVIEWS... anywhere

I played through the first Drakensang.... halfway before I got bored with the low level combat and stock storyline - should I give this one a spin??

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

What the hell - ITS OUT???

NO REVIEWS... anywhere

I played through the first Drakensang.... halfway before I got bored with the low level combat and stock storyline - should I give this one a spin??

There's a couple of German ones. There are probably some Polish & Spanish/Italian ones as well, but I cannot into those languages.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

oh. speaking of german games, is Risen worth playing?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

haven't played any of the Gothic games :(

There's a demo that gives a decent idea of the gameplay. Quest-wise the game gives almost all of itself during the first two chapters, the last two being mostly a fun but ultimately repetitive dungeon romp with an awfully designed final boss. I'd say it's worth it and I don't regret buying it, but people have different tastes and such.

I got the impression Risen is very small, only one island with one town on it, right? I hope it's not too short, although I've seen somewhere, that the level cap is 50, probably means there's a lot to do, if you can get 50 levels

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I got the impression Risen is very small, only one island with one town on it, right? I hope it's not too short, although I've seen somewhere, that the level cap is 50, probably means there's a lot to do, if you can get 50 levels

It's not small at all and while the world isn't as large as, say, Oblivion, it is so much more detailed. Plus, while there is only one city, you are forgetting the Monastery and the Bandit Camp.

ok, I'll give it a try. thanks. as for the final boss: nothing can be worse than the ME2 final boss :brows:

Walsingham said:

ok, I'll give it a try. thanks. as for the final boss: nothing can be worse than the ME2 final boss :shifty:

I don't agree, while it wasn't challenging and you could even say it was cheesey, it certainly isn't a terrible boss fight.

Any of the psychopath fights in dead rising, NOW THAT IS SOME BAD MOJO!

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

nothing can be worse than the ME2 final boss :shifty:

I don't agree, while it wasn't challenging and you could even say it was cheesey, it certainly isn't a terrible boss fight.

c'mon, a human/alien crossbreed straight from Contra or Metal Slug, that doesn't do any damage and dies in 5 minutes, that's not what I'd call a boss :lol:

Walsingham said:

nothing can be worse than the ME2 final boss :shifty:

c'mon, a human/alien crossbreed straight from Contra or Metal Slug, that doesn't do any damage and dies in 5 minutes, that's not what I'd call a boss :lol:

I like contra... I thought it was fine. I admit, it could have been alot better, but the moment felt great.

But I swear down, any boss from dead rising, that stuff makes my blood boil. You can only beat them by gliching 'em because the game is so borked...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

that's the problem with combat in Mass Effect 2: the game tries too hard to be a platformer. and fails miserably

Walsingham said:

The Hammerhead missions are not really hardcore platforming. It's just a nice deviation of the main game, nothing wrong with that.

Yeah. the fact that it's xbox live/psn 1.99 $ casual platforming kind of makes it worse. :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

by "platformer" I meant combat in general, the running and gunning, it's basically a Contra "on steroids" as I see it.

Walsingham said:

But I swear down, any boss from dead rising, that stuff makes my blood boil. You can only beat them by gliching 'em because the game is so borked...

Nope. Dead wrong about Dead Rising.

For example, the very first boss you meet (probably) is that Spanish guy who keeps shooting at you from atop a food court. It's a battle divided in two steps: first you have to get behind him and snipe at him through three windows (he keeps running from side to side). When he loses half his hp, he moves on to a more open roof and starts throwing grenades at you. All you have to do then is avoid the grenades and keep shooting him until he goes down. End of battle. No glitching.

Another example is the guy in the convenience store. He rolls around a spiked shopping cart and is armed with a shotgun. If you get close, he tries to ram you with the cart and if you get too far away he will try to blast you with his shotgun. Again, all you need to do is keep picking up the food that's littered around the store and make sure you have enough space to be able to avoid him ramming you. If he hits you or shoots you, you find cover and eat some food to regain health. If he misses you when he tries to ram you, he is slow to turn and you'll be able to get a few hits in on him from behind. That's it. No glitching.

A third example is the butcher in the butchery. He hangs you up on a meat hook if you get too close and he throws knives at you if you're too far away. But he is vulnerable to heavy weapons, so if you bring a sledgehammer he is a piece of cake. You just have to hit him as much as you can, eat the meat that's everywhere when you get low on health and try to avoid his most brutal attacks (I think he occasionally rushes at you). Strategy, not glitching.

I'm beginning to think your irrational hatred of Dead Rising comes from the fact that it is too difficult for you and not from some insinuated 'higher knowledge' of game design.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The biggest problem I had with dead rising was that you basically couldn't win the first time you put it in because you were so weak.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.