RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

Oh right, that makes a commando having a baby while on duty much more plausable :thumbsup:

She's "The" commando in the games history. She created Close Quarters Combat, basically created all the special forces techniques, and was a soldier her entire life.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The Boss is my favorite character in the Metal Gear universe. followed very closely by Big Boss/Naked Snake. Solid Snake is a distant third, tied with psycho mantis, Liquid, and the OG ninja Gray Fox.

just thought you all needed to know.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

lol @ nanomachines!!!

i pretend they don't exist for the most part. one of the funniest but least good things about the storyline (which admittedly, sucks kinda hard in MGS2 and 4, but is beyond awesome in MG1-2 and MGS 1 and 3)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Oh right, that makes a commando having a baby while on duty much more plausable :thumbsup:

She's "The" commando in the games history. She created Close Quarters Combat, basically created all the special forces techniques, and was a soldier her entire life.

Jack Churchill is rolling in his grave.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I laugh in the face of anyone who thinks that MGS has good/deep/interesting story.

Wait, someone actually thinks that? I thought we were all on the same page, laughing at Kojima's ridiculousness. The presentation is great, but the underlying material is laughable at best.

EDIT: It was deep, right off the deep end :thumbsup:

Edited by Purkake

I laugh in the face of anyone who thinks that MGS has good/deep/interesting story.

Wait, someone actually thinks that? I thought we were all on the same page, laughing at Kojima's ridiculousness. The presentation is great, but the underlying material is laughable at best.

EDIT: It was deep, right off the deep end :thumbsup:

Well, something can be "interesting" without being "good" or "deep." E.g., the long history of laughably ridiculous storylines in daytimes soap operas and superhero comics hasn't stopped either from gaining and keeping the interest of millions of fans.

It's obvious that it's popular, what kind of an argument is that?

Does being popular make something "interesting"?

Not that MGS isn't highly entertaining or Kojima a brilliant madman, but that argument doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Purkake

I think the overlaying storylines aren't that bad actually. MGS was a sort of Greek tragedy, MGS2 was... well ignore that one. MGS3 was a story of betrayal and patriotism and MGS4 was among other things the story of an old man who is nearing death and his life catching up with him. And as said even a lot of the blatant wtf moments (which there were a lot of) like "I live on through this arm!" are presented in a way that doesn't make you turn off the consol in exasperation. And the games do touch on some really interesting subjects like cloning, that whole situation with Naomi, her parents and Grey Fox, loyalty to your country, world issues like nuclear weapons, the increase of PMCs ect, ect. . I'm not saying it's one of the great works of our time but there is some substance there.

Edited by Serrano

Another way to look at it would be to consider it a view on American action/spy movies through a heavily Japanese lens. Or possibly just a look at what a Japanese developer thinks the western audience wants.

That is, if you don't just write Kojima off as a crazy hack who can't write two sentences without one of them being incomprehensible.

Edited by Purkake

Wait... what were women doing on the beaches of Normandy?

She wasn't at the beaches, she was dropped in behind the lines to basically wreak havoc with her team (which included a guy who could talk to the dead, a guy who could control bees... and spit them out of his mouth as bullets, a guy with a jetpack and an ancient guy who literally would sleep as much as he could to preserve his life as long as he could).

They don't exactly go into it as the game takes place like 20-30 years after the events.

Honestly, the overall stories and basic premises behind the mgs series seem like a good idea. A world that is becoming more and more attached to nanomachines/technology to the point where they ultimately control everything. And there's a global conspiracy that's basically the illuminati, and a conspiracy to counter the conspiracy. The problem is the presentation and dialogue (Metal gear!? METAL GEAR!? METAL GEAR! LIKE DUDE, METAL GEAR!) is just so... out there that it's hard to take seriously.

Also the idea that a bullet from a 9mm makarov can be used in a revolver seems a bit... wrong.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Wait... what were women doing on the beaches of Normandy?

She wasn't at the beaches, she was dropped in behind the lines to basically wreak havoc with her team (which included a guy who could talk to the dead, a guy who could control bees... and spit them out of his mouth as bullets, a guy with a jetpack and an ancient guy who literally would sleep as much as he could to preserve his life as long as he could).

So there are people that take this series seriously? Japan cannot into European history.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

yeah! and make it a cover-shooter this time :lol:

riiiiight! totally forgot about that one :ermm: well, parcour-platformer works too :sorcerer:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.