Fallout: New Vegas

What is the best part about your job? The worst part?

Without being too sappy, I love working with a team. The best part of my job is being surrounded by talented people working together to make great things happen. I played a lot of team sports as a kid, and always liked that as an artist, I can still work in a group environment. The worst part is the lack of a face-to-face connection to fans, or people who play the games we make. Comic creators have conventions where they can meet the people, athletes have the roar of the crowd, film-makers can sit in an auditorium and hear people

Last I checked developers and publishers aren't giving these games away for free. Whenever money changes hands, a certain degree of entitlement on the part of the purchaser is to be expected. Doesn't matter whether it's games, vacuum cleaners, or a Hawaii vacation.

True, some people, regardless of the product purchased often go beyond the bounds of decorum on the internet.

*shrug*

the fans come with the territory.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

:sorcerer: Well, it's just that I've gotten a fixed idea that computer game designers tend not to be so sociable. In fact, back to BIS, even some designers seem to have communication problems to other designers. Nowadays, the tasks getting more complex, it is said that even programmers need to possess good communication abilities but...well, here is a snip from an interview to Annie Mitsoda at Codex.

People at ArenaNet are generally far more cheery and less jaded than your average clowder of game devs, which requires some adjustment for me (chief among them has been using words like "****wit" and "****pile" a lot less frequently) but has been, on the whole, a very pleasant place to work.

Back to Brian Menze, he sounds much nicer than some of his works imply...

childkiller1.jpg

Thinking of that now, if this faithfully represented his personality, he would be in jail. :lol:

Did anyone ever aim for anything else but the head in Fallout 3? I mean, maybe once or twice you got someone's leg when they were fleeing (this never happens), but VATS is basically "auto-aim for the head/temporary god mode". There really is no point in it even existing.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Shooting the guns can be pretty effective, but that means crap loot. Breaking a super mutant's minigun was useful tho.

Even then, if you knocked weapons out of their hands they either picked up another one close (usually just as powerful) or pick up the one you just knocked out of their hands. Heck, half the time they drop the minigun and whip out the missile launcher they also conveniently had.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Did anyone ever aim for anything else but the head in Fallout 3? I mean, maybe once or twice you got someone's leg when they were fleeing (this never happens), but VATS is basically "auto-aim for the head/temporary god mode". There really is no point in it even existing.

Hopefully the changes to combat in New Vegas will make aiming for the limbs more effective but I'll be honest... I doubt it.

Most of the time I didn't.

Even when I went to cripple a leg from a running opponent, most of the time (after the beginning of the game at least) I killed them by blowing their leg off.

Would be nice if there was a reason to subdue opponents or something that came out of crippling them if you played that way, but there just isn't.

To be fair though, there really isn't a reason to shoot for the extremities in the other FO games either. At least my experience was injuring an arm, leg, blinding or knocking a weapon out of their hands usually resulted in them trying to run, which then cued up the tedium of chasing them down.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

To be fair though, there really isn't a reason to shoot for the extremities in the other FO games either. At least my experience was injuring an arm, leg, blinding or knocking a weapon out of their hands usually resulted in them trying to run, which then cued up the tedium of chasing them down.

Going for the eye was quite useful but that was it, really.

I don't think I've ever aimed for anything else in Fallout and Fallout 2.. except maybe.. the head. :ermm:

To demobilize the opponents, how about the Hand-to-hand combat? For Sawyer designed it for Alpha Protocol. :ermm:

You can only do so much with Fallout 3 engine cqc.

Not that Alpha Protocol's was anything to write home about, but it was at least nice to see and effective, and then again, while Fallout 3's was basically 'mash mash mash mash mash' with an incredibly overpowered perk like paralyzing palm (I think that was the name, I could be wrong).

I've seen videos of Behemoths been beaten with that. Really.

You can only do so much with Fallout 3 engine cqc.

Not that Alpha Protocol's was anything to write home about, but it was at least nice to see and effective, and then again, while Fallout 3's was basically 'mash mash mash mash mash' with an incredibly overpowered perk like paralyzing palm (I think that was the name, I could be wrong).

I've seen videos of Behemoths been beaten with that. Really.

Thanx. I hope Sawyer would do something with that then, Beth's stealth play+CQC of AP seem to be a good combination.

I don't think I've ever aimed for anything else in Fallout and Fallout 2.. except maybe.. the head. :ermm:

It was useful, but as Thorton_AP pointed out you got an insta kill out of it a lot of times if you hit. And in my experience when I blinded them and not kill them, they ran away.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

If my eyeshot chance was less than stellar, I'd go for the groin first. It almost always lays them out, cutting down on their available ap next turn since they have to get back up to do anything, and it makes your follow-up eyeshot much more accurate while he/she is laying down there.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that, that did make groin shots useful.

Not sure how that could translate into a non-turn based game.

And the blindness combat message was the funniest! :sorcerer:

When a Super Mutant Overlord is shooting you with a Tri-beam, or with the Super-Laser-Minigun-Of-Doom, you really want to shoot the weapon from their hands.

It can also be useful to target the weapon of a Sentry bot & the targeting system of a Mr Gutsy.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that, that did make groin shots useful.

I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth it to (or at least try to) keep it semi-turn-based. Embrace the real time combat or don't.

Head was obviously the best choice. Unconsciousness FTW!

oh? but wait, with a usual build you'd have small guns at 150+% by the time you hit Den for the first time (using F2 only as an example, can't remember the last time I played F1). and that means 90% of the time you one-shot your enemies with any weapon at it's optimal range if you aim for the eyes. and I mean any enemy (save for Frank, but who fights him anyway?). I don't remember head shots working that way

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Head was obviously the best choice. Unconsciousness FTW!

oh? but wait, with a usual build you'd have small guns at 150+% by the time you hit Den for the first time (using F2 only as an example, can't remember the last time I played F1). and that means 90% of the time you one-shot your enemies with any weapon at it's optimal range if you aim for the eyes. and I mean any enemy (save for Frank, but who fights him anyway?). I don't remember head shots working that way

My usual build is not your usual build, bro.

Then again I don't play it that often to have a "usual build".

Theoretically, it can be translated into shooters as long as they have system which track hits on each body part but making various animations must be demanding...

My usual build is not your usual build, bro.

figures ) a gunslinger with two gauss pistols?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.