STEAM!

Calax

Would you like a specific color or should I just choose at random?

Having CD-keys for downloadable games is redundant.

I'm not entirely sure how the business model works here, but the CD-keys are likely a matter of bookkeeping, and that is very important. Steam sells products for other publishers. They need to be able to keep track of all that meticulously, or else the publisher will not do business with them. The CD-Keys are likely the easiest way to do this.

EA gives a bunch of CD-Keys to Steam. They track the keys, and when they are activated, they send Steam a bill. Again, I'm speculating here, but I imagine it works something like that.

I'd go as far as assume that Steam orders a certain amount of CD keys from publishers, based on their projected sales, at more or less regular intervals.

Obviously, they don't need to do this for Valve games, due to the process either being automated, unnecessary due to advanced Steamworks integration or just way easier when you're moving stuff from one hand to the other. :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I agree with Nepenthe's perspective on the issue.

It likely is a "DRM Issue" because the game has been designed to require the CD-Key in its executable, and the risk of changing it is considered not worth it.

This is the first I have heard of something like this happening on Steam, so I imagine it doesn't happen very often.

I agree with Nepenthe's perspective on the issue.

It likely is a "DRM Issue" because the game has been designed to require the CD-Key in its executable, and the risk of changing it is considered not worth it.

This is the first I have heard of something like this happening on Steam, so I imagine it doesn't happen very often.

It's more common than you think. It happened to multiple titles during the christmas sale I believe. Again, it doesn't take them very long to get the issue resolved though.

This is crazy, like a chistmas sale vol 2.

ke6j9i-1.gif

:(

Great find.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Shame about these sales is I have the ones I want already. While a digital copy is better than my dubious storage of the games, still can't bring myself to do it :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've been putting off The Witcher for a long long time, as I don't think I will enjoy it (over-sexed uber heterosexual guy + b00bie cards).

Seriously? I understand why you may dislike that aspect but it's hardly the main feature of the game..

EDIT : Alpha Protocol -33% (34 € in Europe).

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

(over-sexed uber heterosexual guy + b00bie cards).

Ummm, that's a miniscule and almost completely ignorable part of the game, except for a few key relationships that occur as part of the main quest.

One of the problems with the whole boobie card thing is that it generates some much discussion that people jump to the conclusion that it is a major aspect of the game. WHich it isn't. Not even a little.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If Jaesun isn't a heterosexual, I could understand how he might have concerns about playing a character that is decidedly sexual.

I'm completely and openly gay, most of the older posters here know that. While I don't have a problem forced to play a heterosexual character, as long as the sexual parts of the game are minimal, or avoidable. Say for example TNO in Torment was basically a straight guy, but there was no overt sexual content that really turned me off. Geralt however is supposed to be a "Ladies Man" and loves the ladies, so that pretty much kept me away from this. Though if I recall correctly, the whole b00bie card thing can be avoided, thankfully.

Anyways, for seven damn bucks, I should at least give it a try...

The bigger problem with the Witcher is the grindy combat, much of which is optional, and the inventory system, which is mostly ignorable if you don't use much alchemy.

Both have a much much larger impact on the game than the sex stuff and boobie cards.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.