2010 FIFA World Cup

Guest The Architect

Is Ghana any good ?

I honestly didn't watch their other matches (same with the USA) but at least for now, they're looking on a whole other level compared to the USA.

EDIT : Looks like I've talked too soon, the United States have woken up. A bit at least.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

That seemed to be US's MO throughout the tourney, strong second half but weak at the start. Ah well, I'm not too disappointed, this group will be around for at least another tourney, and might even be a bit better.

Saw the second half and extra time. My mate - who supports Chelsea, but let's not worry about that - cruiicised Ghana for failing to play for time. I tried explaining that Ghana were obviously, you know, sportsmen who felt strong in themselves and weren't just some amoral mercenaries. But he totally failed to grasp my argument.

I thought Ghana played tremendously, with enthusiasm, and real spirit. If England has to go out then I hope it's to Ghana.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

who supports Chelsea

Exactly.

After a very promising SA - Mexico opening match the number of idiotic play-acting and poor ref calls has just ballooned to 2006 standards - Portugal and Italy, obviously, but now it seems to affect just about every team.

The only thing good about the US' loss yesterday was that it wasn't against a bunch of cheaters. Ghana were simply better.

I think it was the first time ever me and my friends were chanting "U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!" in front of a TV (seriously). Your fighting spirit and no-nonsense attitude won our hearts. See you guys in 2014, you went out with the flag on top.

Tonight, it is time for the English to send the Germans back home.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

who supports Chelsea

Exactly.

After a very promising SA - Mexico opening match the number of idiotic play-acting and poor ref calls has just ballooned to 2006 standards - Portugal and Italy, obviously, but now it seems to affect just about every team.

I don't wish to do him an injustice, so I should point out that he's supported Chelsea since he was about six years old. Rather than being a glory hunter.

Having said that it's as if he can't see that this is a sport, and surely being a fan is about sportsmanship and winning, not just earning the owners of your club fat bucks. But then that calls into question the entire business of having a team loyalty so deep people get killed for it. You might just as well beat someone up for eating a twix because you support Hersheys.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Watched USA-Ghana, was great fun. I wish all teams had the same thirst for victory as these two -- Americans kept fighting till the bitter end, and this produced some awesome moments (goalie vs goalie head-to-head). Ghana's 2nd goal was pretty nice too. Overall I liked the way the US played better, with more discipline and less shenanigans, but I think Ghana deserved to win in the end, what with the lack of effectiveness of the American team and all.

I'm a little shocked at some of the crowds I've seen Bill Clinton in. I haven't even seen any sign of his security.
Then his close protection detail are doing a good job. But then again, regular people manage to sneak into a White House party uninvited, so... Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

So there's Germany v England today. That ought to be something.

To quote myself from elsewhere...

To be honest, I don't think Switzerland was a big loss. Ugly defensive play with the odd ugly brutal tackle and elbow to the face actions.

In related news:

'Psychic' octopus predicts Germany victory over England

The octopus, which was born in the UK and was moved to the German aquarium, has become a national celebrity after correctly predicting Germany would beat Australia in their opening match, then lose to Serbia, and then beat Ghana.

All hail our new many armed overlords :cool:

germanyoctopusora558758.jpg

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Some cultures think "play-acting" is one of the necessary tact/techniques. Uruguay exploited SK's youth. Even talented ones can be weakened by provocations. e.g. Zidan in 2006 and Beckham in 1998. Latin countries tend to be good at these kind of "shrewd tricks." This requires further level of discipline especially for those who are favored to be educated in more "civil" environments. Since this is the era of information, countries which used not to be known for football began to adopt the latest tactics. Besides the tight schedules of European commercial leagues (both physical and pyshoclogical: fatigue, injuries and no time for teamworking), this helped to make some unlikely turn-overs in this WC. However, there are still some obstacles to overcome for these countries.

ought to be
An apt word choice.

To be honest, I don't think Switzerland was a big loss. Ugly defensive play with the odd ugly brutal tackle and elbow to the face actions.

In related news:

'Psychic' octopus predicts Germany victory over England

The octopus, which was born in the UK and was moved to the German aquarium, has become a national celebrity after correctly predicting Germany would beat Australia in their opening match, then lose to Serbia, and then beat Ghana.

All hail our new many armed overlords :cool:

germanyoctopusora558758.jpg

The octopus prediction is turning out right.

EDIT : It was right, indeed. All hail the octopus overlord! By the way, I just saw like, the last 25 minutes, so if someone can enlighten me about the canceled goal, I'd be grateful.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Octupus was right. To describe this match: Blitzkrieg

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Had to listen to the radio because working. Quite glad I didn't have to see it.

Agreed with the commentators that our setup nationally is quite inadequate to the fans. It's not a lack of money for sure.

Just goes to show the importance of management, the importance of structure, and the importance of what I'd call the 'will to fight' if we were talking about combat. Something is ****ing busted.

-Elwood Blues

albumlarge3762529.jpg

Also, great drama at the end of the first half, on par with the hand of God and finally revenge for 1966. I don't think the 2-2 would've mattered, the way the Engrish had been defending the entire game.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

England were dismal, as the radio commentator said it was like watching a Sunday pub league side play. Apologies to any Sunday league players reading.

English football is broken. The Premiership is like a face-sucker from Alien, draining away any chance of us building a cogent national side with the English fans oblivious when the alien hatchling of abject failure bursts out of their stomachs. Fabio Capello was utterly clueless in his post-match interview.

And the pampered princes will go home to their

sonsofgygax.JPG

Despite the result, not a bad match at all, IMO. Damn...Germany is a beautifully organized team. England was defeated but they had their moments...one of which was erased by the bad call, though (a

seems to be getting attention at youtube).

PS The octopus needs a spoiler tag. :lol:

wembley1966.jpg

1966 wasn't a goal. But apart from this, England has always been generally unlucky during big tournaments, losing with penalties against Germany a couple of times, then Argentina in 1998... I don't remember their mishaps in the past two world cups.

Germany is now playing with a very young team, and their under-19 and under-17 teams already became world champions... their future is secured for a very long time. But England? They desperately need to start building a new, young team from scratch.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.