Fallout: New Vegas

I wonder about the amount of quests and the presence of dialogue "puzzles" (for dialogue puzzles see planescape torment... i mean those puzzles that are all solved within a dialogue box of which there were dozens in torment)

i like having lots of little side quests (which i thought fallout 2 had plenty, but fallout 3 had too few)

and i also like having lots of meatier side quests (fallout 3 had a sufficient amount of these imo)

and i LOVE having little dialogue puzzles throughout the game (fallout 1 and 2 had a few of these, but they were mostly really simple (convincing the post man not to blow himself up is one i remember, and of course the obvious "puzzles" of convincing the master to off himself or your conversations with the scientist and president on the oil rig in f2.

fallout 3 had none of these because every dialogue that mattered could be easily completed with a skill check :( convincing the ai at the end to self destruct was, frankly, embarrassing because of how badly it was written compared to the end scene of fallout 1.

i really like that all skills will now be relevant for dialogue in new vegas, i think thats a good idea and could lead to some great moments, like that stealth example we heard about a few months ago (stealth check to succeed in planning an ambush in dialogue with another character) but i wonder if there will be some dialogues where you have to, you know, actually think about what you say to people to get the results you want...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Rapid fire Sniper Rifle

Man, wut?

It's like a machinegun sniper rifle. AKA The Munchkin.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

(which i thought fallout 2 had plenty, but fallout 3 had too few)

Fallout 3 had a lot of "unnamed quests" though. Granted most of them were "collect sugar bombs" or "collect junk pieces" or "collect laser rifles" or "collect blood packs" or "collect teddy bears" or "collect power armor" or "collect nuka colas" (well, that one was a named quest) or "collect..."

Am I the only one in awe of Bethesda's brilliance here? This is like the rpg at its finest. Plus a lot of **** blows up. :(

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Bozar

A personal favorite. Also the gun responsible for making me someone who laughs at people being dismembered. :(

Bozar also reminds me that every weapon should have a clear indicator of which skill it belongs to. Yep, not everyone's gonna be happy about it (surprise) but it would definitely prevent confusion when it comes down to it. Bozar had that effect on me ("it's pretty big, but, uh, is it a Big Gun?" kind of effect. After all, sniper rifles were considered "small guns", weren't they?).

In addition to that, I would love to see 'Small Guns' skill renamed to something like 'Conventional Firearms' or such. e.g. Sniper rifles are not small, but they are conventional weapons that only come with a scope and require regular maintenance (i.e. theoratically, usage is simply lock & load, point & click; pretty much the same as pistols).

Or, at the bare minimum, they don't touch anything else, and only draw a clear line between small guns and big guns by way of a weight limit. Like, it's heavier than X pounds? It's considered a "big gun". If not, small gun. "Clear line" is the key here, it should be clearly mentioned in-game, at least in the in-game help for those who don't like to RTFM.

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

Yeah, well I look a lot better with my makeup on. :o

Utgh man... don't do... that..

Anyway Fallout was always silly let's not pretend otherwise. Six barrel rocket launcher, why not.

Well in Fallout 1 the silliness was mostly in the background and style.

There were plenty of silly random encounters and dialogues, but the quests, locations and stories were serious and, I daresay, gritty (much more than Dragon Age).

Fallout 2 had much more silliness (New Reno's style, San Francisco and plenty of quests and dialogues) but overall the world was desperate and post-apocalyptic.

Fallout 3 has been discussed to death so I'll avoid the topic altogether.

..... so yeah, silly weapons aren't a problem, silly storylines are a problem though.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

final explosive outcome

Spoiler? :lol:

Peacemaker or Hard Case, House Rules, or the Wild Card

PS:T comes to mind... Not to get excited but, is "Lawful & Chaotic" coming back? :o

Edited by Nemo0071

In Van Buren you could get a "false" ending (similar to being dipped in Fallout 1) by blowing up the just-barely-sound Hoover Dam. Wonder if that will be the case here. Since electric power is the central concern of New Vegas, it makes sense that the final showdown would take place at the Hoover Dam.

I've actually been thinking about whether or not New Vegas is really a one-off thing for Obsidz. Obviously they couldn't take over the franchise, but they could alternate with Bethesda, similar to the setup that Activision had with its Call of Duty franchise (up until recently, at least).

Edited by Pop

In Van Buren you could get a "false" ending (similar to being dipped in Fallout 1) by blowing up the just-barely-sound Hoover Dam. Wonder if that will be the case here. Since electric power is the central concern of New Vegas, it makes sense that the final showdown would take place at the Hoover Dam.

I've actually been thinking about whether or not New Vegas is really a one-off thing for Obsidz. Obviously they couldn't take over the franchise, but they could alternate with Bethesda, similar to the setup that Activision had with its Call of Duty franchise (up until recently, at least).

I guess that if FO:NV is succesful enough Bethesda will consider the possibility but I wouldn't jump to conclusions. (You're not the only one to bring up the possibilty though, plenty of people are doing it in Beth's forums too.)

Sounds like a sensible way to cater to the different fan bases. And I honestly (want to) believe that will be the case.

I'm buying it. Regardless.

Interesting that Obs is making the only 2 games that I plan to buy in the near future. This and AP. Which I guess is a credit to them.

Anyway Fallout was always silly let's not pretend otherwise. Six barrel rocket launcher, why not.

very true. it is more than a little ironic that the hardcore fallout fans is typically the folks least likely to recognize the obvious camp quality o' the fallout universe/games.

*shrug*

why not have an orbital laser array; if it is balanced, then what is the harm? am not certain why some folks assume that a fo orbital laser array is game-breaking powerful... and we has a hard time imagining what sorta weapon would be game-breaking silly considering the setting. heck, if rationality were a factor, then plasma weapons should be more likely to offend delicate sensibilities than would an orbital laser weapon. a plasma that emits a beam or ray weapon is 'bout as plausible as is supermutants, ghouls, and giant insects.

our preferred method o' implementation for space-laser: spend a couple hours doing a quest to unlock an orbital laser weapon... a weapon that could possibly blind a man if he happened to look straight up at the exact moment the weapon is fired. THAT would be plausible AND amusing... though we doubt that most folks (other than Gromnir) would see the humor in such an a "feature."

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

very true. it is more than a little ironic that the hardcore fallout fans is typically the folks least likely to recognize the obvious camp quality o' the fallout universe/games.

*shrug*

why not have an orbital laser array; if it is balanced, then what is the harm? am not certain why some folks assume that a fo orbital laser array is game-breaking powerful... and we has a hard time imagining what sorta weapon would be game-breaking silly considering the setting. heck, if rationality were a factor, then plasma weapons should be more likely to offend delicate sensibilities than would an orbital laser weapon. a plasma that emits a beam or ray weapon is 'bout as plausible as is supermutants, ghouls, and giant insects.

our preferred method o' implementation for space-laser: spend a couple hours doing a quest to unlock an orbital laser weapon... a weapon that could possibly blind a man if he happened to look straight up at the exact moment the weapon is fired. THAT would be plausible AND amusing... though we doubt that most folks (other than Gromnir) would see the humor in such an a "feature."

HA! Good Fun!

I don't remember any argument on realism made on this forum.

i've said it before and i'll say it again...if this game makes money ol' Zeni's gonna notice. that's about all there is to it, i'd imagine.

ol'Zeni might indeed pull an Activision and turn Fallout into an annual spitting franchise. Maybe they're gonna buy Obsidian after NV turns out to me a major success (which it surely will be).