Fallout: New Vegas

One more gameplay mechanic into the "forced to ignore" pile. :brows:

Oh come on... No need to make such a big deal out of it, it's just a matter of preference. I hardly ever used the Fat Man even when I had tons of ammo* and it never bothered me sitting in my living room. A friend of mine otoh used it on raiders. To this day, I still don't know why. Raiders FFS.

And seriously, how can you guys (all the people crying out "OMG it's ruined!!!") think of it as an abundant source of ultimate destruction... It's obvious that it's use will be limited, one way or another. It could have limited uses, it could be a near-end-game opportunity, it could be a real PITA to get your hands on the "remote" etc. It could even be part of a quest like Rosbjerg said.

So, as long as the remote stays out of my hotkeys (you use it only when you use it) it'll be a welcome addition to our arsenal. It's called variety, you know...

* I collect many mini nukes (what?), save the game, go berserk, have fun while going berserk, load the game, go back to playing the game as normal. And yes, it's fun.

Edit:

ANyway, its not a game breaker. I'll just toss the remote control unit in the same locker with the Alien blaster and the Fat Man and the Stealth Armor and the Gauss Rifle and the Power Armor and all the other overpowered stuff I don't like. Out of sight is out of mind, as they say.

Yep. Sorry for the late post.

Edited by Nemo0071

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

Blowing raiders up with landmines is fun, too. It doesn't make for a terribly engaging game experience though over the long term.

*shrug*

Like I said, it's not a game breaker. I won't not buy the game because of it. But it's disappointing that this is where development time is going. They don't exactly have a lot to begin with.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Like I said, it's not a game breaker. I won't not buy the game because of it. But it's disappointing that this is where development time is going. They don't exactly have a lot to begin with.

Exactly.

Don't paint maudlin fainting motions over my screen-name where there aren't any. Voicing my disappointment and banging my head on a wall donning a straight-jacket are...contrary to internet beliefs...quite distant.

I mean seriously, what's the difference between remote controlling an orbital laser platform and remote controlling a strike wing of F4 Phantoms. To me they are both equally silly within the context of Fallout. Obviously, you guys either a) disagree that it is too silly for the context or b) think silliness is good. So, in that sense it is what is it.

Btw, didn't van Buren have something like that? The superweapon platform in question was even going to be the end-game location if I'm not terribly wrong...

I think it's living (!) proof as to how this sort of thing can be implemented in the Fallout world (even in the story), and make perfect sense while doing so. :brows:

i like the idea of it being in the game (in a VERY limited manner). perhaps its the device that the ncr is using to hold dominion over the region and when you beat the game/kill the biggest baddie you get the device and can choose what to do with it in the post-story ala deus ex... become a god/ annihilate the world/ burn the device?

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i like the idea of it being in the game (in a VERY limited manner). perhaps its the device that the ncr is using to hold dominion over the region and when you beat the game/kill the biggest baddie you get the device and can choose what to do with it in the post-story ala deus ex... become a god/ annihilate the world/ burn the device?

Snake Plissken?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

First of all i think there's some misinformation here:

* The Helios One solar tower controls an orbital laser platform

But there was no mention of a satellite in the preview demo: the laser was coming from the tower itself.

Second, i still can't see the connection to the FartMan. Helios One is a game location, most likely with some quests attached, with a prewar tech solar laser that can be remote controlled. Fat Man is a Big F*ckin Gun with nuclear ammo that you just come across somewhere in the game. I don't understand how these two are comparable. A solar laser makes sense in a post nuclear world, while mini nukes just don't. Even if there is a satellite involved, it makes more sense to have awesome super-destructive prewar tech forgotten in space than in some mudcrabs' lair or a raider's locker or something like that (where Fat Man ammo was typically found).

Just hope the character won't be referenced as 'courier' by radio stations DJ etc.

It sounds ****ty, really. It also feels forced when Three Dogs (feels satisfying to kill him, oh so satisfying) calls you 'Lone Wanderer' for no reason whatsoever.

In FO3 one could launch nukes from one of the SatCOM arrays, no? One could even (try to) launch a ballistic missile in Fort Constantine. It will probably be something similar in New Vegas.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

First of all i think there's some misinformation here:
* The Helios One solar tower controls an orbital laser platform

But there was no mention of a satellite in the preview demo: the laser was coming from the tower itself.

Second, i still can't see the connection to the FartMan. Helios One is a game location, most likely with some quests attached, with a prewar tech solar laser that can be remote controlled. Fat Man is a Big F*ckin Gun with nuclear ammo that you just come across somewhere in the game. I don't understand how these two are comparable. A solar laser makes sense in a post nuclear world, while mini nukes just don't. Even if there is a satellite involved, it makes more sense to have awesome super-destructive prewar tech forgotten in space than in some mudcrabs' lair or a raider's locker or something like that (where Fat Man ammo was typically found).

I agree. What is far far more confusing and atmosphere breaking is finding ammo containers with a handful of rounds scattered quite literally EVERYWHERE, and the way that in spite of many many years having passed no-one's done anything with the mess, even in settled areas like the Radio Station. But I won't start down that road or I'll start frothing.

As for realism, Fallout follows an apocalyptic war! Given that orbital arrays are already a (potential) reality - plane based arrays already exist - then I don't see what your problem is.

~~~~~

Total change of tack: Waiting

I wouldn't like to remove waiting for obvious reasons, but if we're going realistic with bottled water etc I think we should have two resources

- Disposable media gives you hours of enjoyment. I'm thinking Black Cat magazine vs Big Book of Science, possibly depending on character type. Radio gives you up to an hour before you get bored. Maybe kids games like jumping jacks for low intelligence.

- If you make friends then you can chat away to them while you wait.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I wouldn't like to remove waiting for obvious reasons, but if we're going realistic with bottled water etc I think we should have two resources

- Disposable media gives you hours of enjoyment. I'm thinking Black Cat magazine vs Big Book of Science, possibly depending on character type. Radio gives you up to an hour before you get bored. Maybe kids games like jumping jacks for low intelligence.

- If you make friends then you can chat away to them while you wait.

Love the idea. Especially the part about low INT :-

- "Me like game. Want play game 2 hour."

--- Wait / Cancel ---

As for realism, Fallout follows an apocalyptic war! Given that orbital arrays are already a (potential) reality - plane based arrays already exist - then I don't see what your problem is.

*shrug*

It has nothing to do with realism. I never used the word once. The word I used was context. A context can be completely non-realistic, but still have things that fit and things that don't.

The context in game like Fallout incorprates both the illusionary world-building AND the gameplay mechanics.

Fallout 3 already has way too many "well, that's really stupid" moments. It doesn't need any more.

Second, i still can't see the connection to the FartMan.

The only connection I am personally pointing to is the part about an over-powered BOOMSPLODE!! element in a Fallout game which can be used throughout the game (unless the preview is misinformation).

Just hope the character won't be referenced as 'courier' by radio stations DJ etc.

It sounds ****ty, really. It also feels forced when Three Dogs (feels satisfying to kill him, oh so satisfying) calls you 'Lone Wanderer' for no reason whatsoever.

Well...except "courier" is actually a real occupation while "lone wanderer" is not likely something anybody, ever, would call somebody else.

It has nothing to do with realism. I never used the word once. The word I used was context. A context can be completely non-realistic, but still have things that fit and things that don't.

The context in game like Fallout incorprates both the illusionary world-building AND the gameplay mechanics.

Fallout 3 already has way too many "well, that's really stupid" moments. It doesn't need any more.

Yep. I think with Fallout 3 verisimilitude and consistency within the series got bent like Neo's spoon and now a certain amount of elements probably need to be kept in order to cater to the casuals & consoles. I guess it makes sense...since piracy is basically killing the PC industry and I'm sure the integrity of the games dissipates when making enough sales to keep food on your table is the highest priority (which it should be, don't get me wrong). Still, shame we need things like exploding ****ing cars which makes NO ****ing sense AT ALL and is a downright depressing sign of the times if nothing else.

You didn't like the talking deathclaws?

Did you play the game? Unlike exploding cars and the fat man's denial of physics, this was actually explained perfectly well within the game. Not to mention you're referencing Fallout 2, a game many wish had strayed less from the path of Fallout 1 (in other words, that strawman's so worn out it's got holes in it).

Ever since games were fully voiced, if the player character is not fixed, NPCs call the protagonist with a stupid nickname instead of their name. I have always found amusing how technological advancement can place such limits on creativity.

I wonder why don't they utilize a text-to-speech software or something.

That said, "The Courier" sounds funny -in the good sense- to me. Fallout has always been tongue-in-cheek with RPG cliches, FedEx quests being one of the biggest.

It's ****ing retarded.

Can you be more specific about what you dislike about it?

History repeats itself...

All of the items on the list are not new info. I cannot remember remote control thing, though. Basically, it's just "water chip" with extended functions: Since the chosen one/destined child plot device doesn't work in FO, they made a factor which makes the decisions of the protagonist affect on the imaginary world. That said, I'm interested in how the plots of Alpha Protocol and Age of Decadence turn out.

In any case, considering the lack of info, I don't think there are many things to be fussed about. I guess I've done organizing info so far, too. Ironically, though, the job's done mostly by just remembering...

History repeats itself...

All of the items on the list are not new info. I cannot remember remote control thing, though. Basically, it's just "water chip" with extended functions: Since the chosen one/destined child plot device doesn't work in FO, they made a factor which makes the decisions of the protagonist affect on the imaginary world. That said, I'm interested in how the plots of Alpha Protocol and Age of Decadence turn out.

In any case, considering the lack of info, I don't think there are many things to be fussed about. I guess I've done organizing info so far, too. Ironically, though, the job's done mostly by just remembering...

I honestly have no idea what you just said. :lol:

I honestly have no idea what you just said. :lol:

Maybe, history part?

Some players complained of the change but, judging from their comments, I don't think they understood how things would work in a bigger picture.

I simply meant it's too early to react to such small pieces of info.