Fallout: New Vegas

Maybe they're gonna buy Obsidian after NV turns out to me a major success (which it surely will be).
Hope not.

Well, it's a not a publicly traded company, so they'd have to get a majority (or possibly more, depending on the incorporating documents) of the existing owners to agree to sell.

Maybe they're gonna buy Obsidian after NV turns out to me a major success (which it surely will be).
Hope not.

Well, it's a not a publicly traded company, so they'd have to get a majority (or possibly more, depending on the incorporating documents) of the existing owners to agree to sell.

Last I remember Urquheart explicitly said they want to remain "free", but you never know how the NV launch party ends. :sorcerer::lol:

I'll be buying NV and likely any other Fallout game they might make (*unless this game is a complete ****ing joke) because I care more about the developers involved (and their corresponding reputation) than I do the company holding the strings. That said, I really hate that Beth via Zeni is holding the strings...and I hate that some of my $ is going to go to one of my least favorite gaming companies.

Shoo Doomsayer, shoo!

Well it's a possibility. To be honest, maybe I'm naive, but I don't see why bein' bought by Zenimax would automatically equal a drop in quality/dumbing down their games.

It's all speculation though and I don't think Obsidian will join a publisher as long as they're doing well financially.

Well it's a possibility. To be honest, maybe I'm naive, but I don't see why bein' bought by Zenimax would automatically equal a drop in quality/dumbing down their games.

It's all speculation though and I don't think Obsidian will join a publisher as long as they're doing well financially.

Maybe then Obsidian could work on a sequel to Rogue Warrior... :sorcerer:

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Maybe then Obsidian could work on a sequel to Rogue Warrior... :sorcerer:

As long as it's heavy on swearing, C&C and choices between ripping enemy to shreds or making them explode, bring it on!

Anyway Fallout was always silly let's not pretend otherwise. Six barrel rocket launcher, why not.

very true. it is more than a little ironic that the hardcore fallout fans is typically the folks least likely to recognize the obvious camp quality o' the fallout universe/games.

*shrug*

why not have an orbital laser array; if it is balanced, then what is the harm? am not certain why some folks assume that a fo orbital laser array is game-breaking powerful... and we has a hard time imagining what sorta weapon would be game-breaking silly considering the setting. heck, if rationality were a factor, then plasma weapons should be more likely to offend delicate sensibilities than would an orbital laser weapon. a plasma that emits a beam or ray weapon is 'bout as plausible as is supermutants, ghouls, and giant insects.

our preferred method o' implementation for space-laser: spend a couple hours doing a quest to unlock an orbital laser weapon... a weapon that could possibly blind a man if he happened to look straight up at the exact moment the weapon is fired. THAT would be plausible AND amusing... though we doubt that most folks (other than Gromnir) would see the humor in such an a "feature."

HA! Good Fun!

I don't remember any argument on realism made on this forum.

1) we specifically mentioned "plausible" and rationale as opposed to real.

2) only took us a few seconds to find a couple examples in this thread alone wherein folks complained of plausibility o' a solar-powered laser tower v. mini nukes and similar such stuff... so am not certain what board you has been reading. am maybe gonna direct you to any of the numerous and tedious ammo discussions held on this board if you wanna see how serious folks can get regarding plausible/rationale.

in any event, if such wacky items as space lasers and junk guns is balanced properly, then what reason exists to exclude from fo: nv?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Bethsoft has dropped its suit against Interplay. Supposedly there's also been a "secret deal" struck.

Didn't think that would happen, did you?

Any lawsuit involving corporations are subject to out of court settlements at any time. So while I didn't know it would happen, I'm not really surprised (and I can't imagine that a deal wasn't struck for them to drop the suit). But I could be wrong.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

in any event, if such wacky items as space lasers and junk guns is balanced properly, then what reason exists to exclude from fo: nv?

HA! Good Fun!

So your take is that Fallout all ready has a boatload of ridiculous stuff so who cares if they add more?

My take is that Fallout all ready has enough ridiculous stuff, let's not make it any worse.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

HA! Good Fun!

So your take is that Fallout all ready has a boatload of ridiculous stuff so who cares if they add more?

My take is that Fallout all ready has enough ridiculous stuff, let's not make it any worse.

I'm not Gromnir, nor do I play him on TV.

Fallout as a setting already has Alien Ray guns, magic super-mutant making virus, zombielike ghouls (one with a tree on his head), magic pills that take away all effects of radiation (except suddenly growing 6th toes), computers that still work after 100 years of inactivity, and robots with giant brains in a clear plastic bubble.

Is a mini-nuke launcher or giant space laser really all that out of place amid that? I don't think so. It isn't about there being a certain number of "ridiculous" things in a game, but that certain concepts either fit in the setting or don't. Neither the launcher nor the space laser seem particularly out of place to me (on the surface at least).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

HA! Good Fun!

that is strawman.

regardless, given the nature o' the setting, plausibility is not gonna be a particularly persuasive reason to exclude. personally, we woulda' kept fo frame o' reference limited to the 1950's era notions o' a post apocalyptic setting... use all those old B movies as source material. even so, from the very beginning the fo setting were not so limited in scope.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I suspect he means that the ridiculousness in Fallout is already part of the franchise's appeal. Part of the reason that Fallout is fun is that we like the silly mutants, the implausible ghouls, the crazy weapons, the campy '50s sci-fi technology, etc.

Of course, you do have to balance the entertainingly batty stuff with more plausible elements, or else the player will spend all his time laughing and won't emotionally buy in to the characters and storylines. But even so, simply citing "it's ridiculous" as an objection is insufficient in a setting with so much ridiculousness as part of its core appeal. And without further information on how some of the previewed F:NV elements will work, we really can't do any serious analysis of the "Wacky futurism" to "Grim Wasteland" ratio in the game.

personally, we woulda' kept fo frame o' reference limited to the 1950's era notions o' a post apocalyptic setting... use all those old B movies as source material.

Not sure the world is ready for Day the World Ended - The Game.

Besides there's only so much role-playing of being trapped in a cabin surrounded by killer radiation with 5 other people (one who is slowly turning into a radiactive flesh eating monster) I could take. :sorcerer:

I don't disagree that FO has had its share of silly stuff from the beginning. And that's fine. Most fantasy world-building takes lots of liberites with what might be plausible within the context that it postulates. But an author can only push so far before the fabric of illusion can't stand the strain and begins to tear.

If you have Colonial Marines fighting aliens, within that context a lot of liberties can be taken and the plausibility maintained. But if you have some guy in a cape suddenly swoop down from the sky and start punching out the aliens with firsts of steel, then you've blown your context all to hell and no one is going to even try to buy into the illusion. Unless you've got a damn good explanation that makes it plausible within the context.

I give video games considerably more leeway in this sort of things than I give movies or books, but even still there's a certain limit to how ridiulous something can get before I'm not interested anymore.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.