Fallout: New Vegas

IMO as long as it's integrated to the game nicely (or even the whole franchise; in other words, Fallout universe) the fun factor is o.k. Not even just "o.k.", but great. Even excessive fun / goofiness.

And if we're so confident in Obsidian's writing & story talent (we are, aren't we?) than I see no problem whatsoever there.

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

I understand your concern Slowtrain, but it's something I've heard a lot, not just here, and since I personally am not THAT concerned (maybe it's because it's Vegas, and.. you know... over-the-topness is the whole point of the city) I wanted to understand how some would be able to make a judgement so quickly.

Absolutely. The gameworld context is vitally important to how valid the role of humor is. And given the setting there is perhaps more room for wacky humor than might be available elsewhere.

If the humor doesn't make me roll my eyes and shake my head when I encounter it, but rather I just accept it as part of the world, then it worked. Which will be great and I'll have no complaints.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Hmmm.

A lethal bounty hunter named Roulette.

A stray dog named Chip.

A bumbling merc named Craps.

A self-aggrandizing Giant Panda named Johnnybottoms.

Seems too obvious, don't it?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Seems too obvious, don't it?

*shrug*

Personally, I don't have a problem with its "obviousness". ;)

That's cool. Sometimes it's fine. In large doses it's usually boring.

On a unrelated note, why is the orbital laser platform nukerblaster an Energy Weapon skill? I mean, its not like the pc is carrying it around on his/her shoulder pointing it raiders. I imagine the pc just pushes a button or flips a toggle or connects a dongle. Shouldn't using that device be a repair-based skill? Or maybe explosives. Though it doesn't explode of course. But it requires technowizardry not a well-trained trigger finger and a keen eye.

Getting a bit long. Discussion went This Way

:nuke:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein