Brilliant headphones

Pidesco

I bought these headphones. The Grado SR60i.

grado_sr60i-400-400.jpg

They sound about as close to professional headphones as possible while setting me back just 80€. I'm literally rediscovering my music collection, now, and I'll be finding out how they fare for gaming, later.

I just wanted to share the awesomeness.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Never heard about them :)

I have some nice old Sony headset bought years ago (set me back 125 kiwi dollars). The headset itself is Ok, but the real selling point was the external usb soundcard. I use Skype a lot, so having separate audio devices and not having to switch between them in the control panel is a plus. I could use a new headset though :*

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Shure SRH840 recently (200 or so Aussie dollars). Was considering Grado/Alessandro but I've heard they don't rank particular high in the comfort department.

Sonically, the Shures are not my favourite type as they have a slightly boosted bass and rolled off high (I'm addicted to sparkling treble), but they're pretty comfy and no-fatiguing (which, ironically, has something to do with the rolled off treble), so I'm quite happy with them.

I do feel, however, the audio output of ThinkPad is holding my headphone back. I have a cheapo tube amp (50 AUD included shipping from Hong Kong) arriving after Easter. Gonna see how that works out.

I'm also considering getting a USB DAC. I've set my eyes on a Music Streamer II+, but that will set me back for another $400...Which I'll have to finance by giving up sushi for lunch and settle for cheap apples -_-

Im borrowing a pair of Senheiser RS140's, they're expensive but not very good. My old 25

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Im borrowing a pair of Senheiser RS140's, they're expensive but not very good. My old 25€ creatives were just as good and more comfortable.

Glad you're only borrowing it. Never buy any wireless headphones!

Edited by Masterfade

I have the Klipsch S4 set. They're glorious. Perfect fit, and they sound great.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

• 2 weeks later...
Guess I must be mad. After buying a $200 headphone I've spent another $700 on a DAC and an headphone amp...

As an absolute sum spent on a headphone setup, I'd say you're still within the realm of the sane. I might have spent more on Headphones and less on the electronics, but just a good headphone amp is going to set you back a bit.

Oh, I roll with Sennheiser HD 580 Precisions.... That have lasted me 10 years, albeit with one ear cushion and two cable changes. :)

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Guess I must be mad. After buying a $200 headphone I've spent another $700 on a DAC and an headphone amp...

As an absolute sum spent on a headphone setup, I'd say you're still within the realm of the sane. I might have spent more on Headphones and less on the electronics, but just a good headphone amp is going to set you back a bit.

Oh, I roll with Sennheiser HD 580 Precisions.... That have lasted me 10 years, albeit with one ear cushion and two cable changes. :)

Yeah, the amp's the most expansive component. The problem I see is most amps on market nowadays is made by either 1) established brands try to make a quick buck selling outrageously overpriced products (cough, Rega Ear, cough) or 2) small family business/one-man workshop that lacks economies of scale.

When will budget hi-fi heavyweights like Cambridge, NAD or Marantz take notice of the headamp market...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using a pair of sennheiser hd280 pros. They're great.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a Speedlink Meduxa NX 5.1 gaming surround headset

0.jpg

They're very comfortable and the sound is very good, but its designed for gaming with a slightly different frequency range than audio headphones. So while you can hear an enemy sneaking up on you from a mile away while being shelled with mortars, music needs to be run through an equalizer or it will lack acoustic prescence. My Senheisers I use at work sound better, but doesnt have this kind of distinct clarity.

The 5.1 surround really works, too. It actually works so well that these headphones are banned from esports,tournaments and competitive clan games.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

• 1 year later...

Not exactly headphones, but I'm looking at headsets. I have this most awesome Sony set (DR-220) which I've worn out those little "foam pillows" (whatever those thingies covering the speakers are called) and I can't find any replacements in this Odinforsaken part of the world, so I may have to, reluctantly, buy a new set.

I went into an electronic store and bought a set, called Sennheiser Something (set me back $50-$60 or thereabouts), just to bring them home and discover they had the most awful flat, tin can like sound. Into the rubbish bin they went and I'm looking again, using the old set with bare plastic against one ear and torn foam tatters on the other.

Anybody got any good ideas for lightweight (important too, the Sennheiser junk felt very heavy by comparison) and quality audio (both speaker and microphone)?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm not a fan of headphones - admittedly I haven't had the chance to try the more quality ones, but they always make my ears (as in, ears, not eardrums) hurt, they feel stuffy, they're big and they matt down the hair.

Recently lost my excellent Sennheiser CX range earphones somewhere, but they had good sound and great noise reduction. So I ordered a replacement and tried a Bose IE2, but found their weird tips awful - they wouldn't stay in at all, and it turned out they have absolutely zero noise reduction. About as good as a ten dollar earphone on that front.

I've switched gear and am going to try a new brand, Etymotic, which looks like the Sennheisers but apparently with nice earbuds and good sound quality. If it doesn't work out I'll just swear loyalty to Sennheiser brand.

I'm not a fan of headphones - admittedly I haven't had the chance to try the more quality ones, but they always make my ears (as in, ears, not eardrums) hurt, they feel stuffy, they're big and they matt down the hair.

Recently lost my excellent Sennheiser CX range earphones somewhere, but they had good sound and great noise reduction. So I ordered a replacement and tried a Bose IE2, but found their weird tips awful - they wouldn't stay in at all, and it turned out they have absolutely zero noise reduction. About as good as a ten dollar earphone on that front.

I've switched gear and am going to try a new brand, Etymotic, which looks like the Sennheisers but apparently with nice earbuds and good sound quality. If it doesn't work out I'll just swear loyalty to Sennheiser brand.

I find earplugs disgusting, you can't share anything with those anyway without sharing your ear-g.ook too and they tend to either fall out or hurt with extended use. No, a real man greets the world with a large headset around his neck and several meters of surplus cord in his pocket.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Properly made earphones don't fall out and don't feel like they're there. The difference is quite strong - anything less than a great earphone and I agree, it feels like ear-probing. But then, as I say, most headphones make me even more uncomfortable.

I also need music wherever I go and I don't want big headphones when I'm running or something.

Properly made earphones don't fall out and don't feel like they're there. The difference is quite strong - anything less than a great earphone and I agree, it feels like ear-probing. But then, as I say, most headphones make me even more uncomfortable.

I also need music wherever I go and I don't want big headphones when I'm running or something.

I've heard a lot of good things about etymotics over the years, and I believe you can actually get custom-moulded earplugs (just for your ears) for them as well. Personally use Koss Porta Pros on the road and own a sweet pair of Sennheiser HD 580s that I rarely use these days due to full HT setup and good sound isolation. :D

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The Etymotics came in today. They come with 4 different types of tips but I"m quite happy with the laser-gun style default; the noise cancelling also seems strong enough for an earphone. :(

• 2 months later...

Bought a pair of Bose earplugs as my regular Sennheisers I use when out and about developed a crack in the jack. Really annoying. The best thing you can say about them is that they are almost as good as the real thing. The low frequencies suffer as you would expect from the lack of hardware. You need a big speaker for decent bass sounds, and it's not really compensated for by being delivered straight into your eardrums. They are very comfortable to wear, you tend to forget you even have them on, but the second comming in audio experience they are not.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.