I need akshun

Tigranes

After several years of neglect I think I have sufficient craving for an action or shooter game. I'm going to spend a few days being on standby for sick family, so now might be a good time.

I generally don't find these types fun. I don't know any real life guns or whatever and don't find Rainbow Six or Metal Gear Solid 'cool'. I did enjoy the original Unreal Tournament and Halo for quick mindless romps, however. I have yet to try Far Cry, Crysis, Dark Messiah, etc., so maybe I should. I'd rather either go the fast and hectic (UT) route, or something much more stealthy and gadget-y (i.e. Thief route).

Thoughts?

Hmm.. last thing I bought that could be considered 'actiony' would be painkiller, but although it's kinda fun, it's also kinda primitive.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

Crysis is a very well done action movie pastiche, and the dynamics that the suit adds are interesting and fun.

I would agree with this. The suit adds a lot. 2nd half isn't so great, though. IMO

Far Cry is more fun overall, but some people would find the graphics too primitive today. I think they're great though.

Far Cry 2 also fun, though somewhat repetitve. You can play it very stealthy if you like.

Of course thete is STALKER:Shadows of Chernobyl. A topnotch shooter, though potentially buggy.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I definitely have to recommend Crysis for the stealth pick.

Yup. You can stealth all over the place in Crysis. You can also drive tanks over people, if you prefer. Flexibility!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

After several years of neglect I think I have sufficient craving for an action or shooter game. I'm going to spend a few days being on standby for sick family, so now might be a good time.

I generally don't find these types fun. I don't know any real life guns or whatever and don't find Rainbow Six or Metal Gear Solid 'cool'. I did enjoy the original Unreal Tournament and Halo for quick mindless romps, however. I have yet to try Far Cry, Crysis, Dark Messiah, etc., so maybe I should. I'd rather either go the fast and hectic (UT) route, or something much more stealthy and gadget-y (i.e. Thief route).

Thoughts?

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is fun. Think Half-Life 2 with swords and fireballs. The physics stuff is awesome. I love kicking enemies into fires.

Modern Warfare 2, if only for the singleplayer. It's about as actiony as it gets - but you should probably rent it and not buy it if you're only playing SP.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Hmm.. last thing I bought that could be considered 'actiony' would be painkiller, but although it's kinda fun, it's also kinda primitive.

Devil May Cry?

Of course there is STALKER:Shadows of Chernobyl. A topnotch shooter, though potentially buggy.
Topnotch, after you get through the damn wild animals!

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is fun. Think Half-Life 2 with swords and fireballs. The physics stuff is awesome. I love kicking enemies into fires.

These.

Painkiller, 110% action 0% brains. Good fun :wacko:

I've been thinking about picking up Dark Messiah (heard of a lot of positive responses to the action part of it), but I've only found it bundled with Resident Evil 4 in a "dual pack" so far.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Oh, sorry. PC only. And dear god no WW2 or WW2-inspired settings :wacko:

Dark Messiah's pretty appealing. How fun is Borderlands to play single player? It's more expensive, but if it's fun enough I'll go for it.

Far Cry and / or Far Cry 2 are good fun (and I'm not much of an FPS guy) but I echo Pops and others views on Crysis. One of the few FPS games I ever got addicted too and I loved the Predator homage vibe.

In fact, at times it feels like a sand-box exploration RPG with lots of shooting --- this cannot be a bad thing.

Lastly, Mercenaries (old and probably dirt cheap) and Mercs 2 are cool and I've heard good things about Bad Company.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

On reflection, Crysis it is, let's get some shooting going without the WW2 business.

Played HL2 before, it was okay.

Crysis starts out ok and goes downhill from there.

Have you played the Half-Life 2 episodes as well?

If you just want action and don't care about the perspective that much, there's always Batman: Arkham Asylum, Red Faction: Guerrilla, The Max Payne series. Also Dark Messiah is really fun.

Edited by Purkake

If you want good natured cheesey actioner.. Tron 2.0 was entertaining..

I know people recommend it..but I found Crysis lacking a soul. Technically excellent but game play was just very.. meh.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."