Dragon Age story/plot discussion

alanschu

Gawk. I was really planning to play a rogue my first time through... but it sounds as if they are useless. Has anyone had success playing a rogue PC yet? If so, any tips or tricks?

My rogue revolves around the coup de grace skill, momentum and +%critbackstab mods on gear, after getting coup de grace i started getting respectable damage out of my rogue since you benefit from stuns from all sources and etc, it allows your rogue solo a stray archer or what ever with dirty fighting which could possibly out melee a low level rogue which can be comical.

Depending on build rogues can be pretty crappy out of the gate, I have some utility points pretty much eclipsed by an auto leveled leilana, and stealth which is not often worth bothering with. There is a problem with dexterity contribution to dagger damage with a fix available for the pc version i believe and i payed a price for scrimping strength, around level 10 I had my rogue balanced out and doing some damage finally

Edited by Asol

All deception is self deception all hypnosis is auto-hypnosis

Zavran is pretty decent actually. A rogue who invested in stealth, dirty fighting, and some assassin abilities can do his job in battle - lay some traps, stealth & do the poison, and jump out to stun people, run around backstab, etc. For all that trouble an outright tank does more damage, but I've found that that his capability to pull out those crits works really well. My mage PC can just go out freeze everyone with the cone of cold, then he and Wynne do stonefist, Sten does mighty fist, Zavran does his backstab = four enemies completely shattered within five seconds.

I do think rogues would be pretty crap early game, though.

Gawk. I was really planning to play a rogue my first time through... but it sounds as if they are useless. Has anyone had success playing a rogue PC yet? If so, any tips or tricks?

I played through the entire game from start to finish with a rogue and had no real issues with it. I wouldn't recommend soloing with one, but disagree with many people that feel they are severely underpowered.

I found the game hard to start, but given I don't have issues at the start anymore, it seems to be a combination of meta-knowledge as well as a realization that the game isn't KOTOR easy.

I'm playing Rogue with that hotfix and he seems to be surviving much easier than my fighters, even in direct combat. Dual daggers, with DLC Edge and some crap in other hand.

And bioware social has some uses as well.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Well, you mention that it seems like your rogue is better than your warriors.

It might make the game more difficult, but I didn't state that the hotfix made the game easier. It wasn't perfectly clear, but I was referring to it making rogues better than warriors.

Might be just my playing style so far ( ie not using the given abilites to the fullest or neglecting the power of some talents - like Threaten or Taunt) and i'm not that far into the game yet ( level 7 )

1.13 killed off Ja2.

The scaling in this game is unusual, am finding that I can clear out whole areas bar one or two fights so I have to go away and get some more exp. to come back and finish the job. I'm level 9 verging on 10, have some pretty good loot and kit but am only done the Brescilian Forest (not yet complete) and Soldier's peak!

Of course, I'm still trying to master the game controls, this is the first CRPG ever where I'd consider playing a spellcasting character. This is a compliment BTW.

sonsofgygax.JPG

^ Yeah, me too, although this is a record in that I've only re-started once. My party, level 10, is struggling with the end battle of the Brescilian Forest, and I've got Red Dragon armour and other twinkiness.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I've been playing for 20 hours and according to the in-game statistics only completely 13% of the game and explored 18% of the world... this is definitely going over 100 hours.

I'm at 42 hours (Main character + 4 additional origin stories) with 36% game completion and 82% of the world explored. I'm almost finished my first run. I'd expect that I'm not more than 1 or 2 areas away from the final boss. I am currently

clearing out the palace grounds before I head over to the Fort where the Archdemon is hanging out. First time through I got wiped in the opening encounter of the Fort. That damn curse of mortality is a huge pain in the ass.

Currently level 18 I believe. Hoping to get Wynne to 19 before the end so I can give her Cone of Cold.

Edited by Deraldin

How does one get enchantments? I try to get the goof in camp to do it; but all i Get is a 'you have no items that cna be enchanted' screen... I got weapons, armours, and enchantment stuff as well as moolah...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

How does one get enchantments? I try to get the goof in camp to do it; but all i Get is a 'you have no items that cna be enchanted' screen... I got weapons, armours, and enchantment stuff as well as moolah...

You need a special weapon with enchantment slots I guess. I only managed to do it with one sword & one dagger sor far. But I'm only level 9.

I don't know whether armor can be enchanted.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It's identical to Diablo, some weapons have slots. Talk to Sandal and an arbitration screen opens up, pop the appropriate rune into the item and that's it.

All the crafting in this game is so easy even I can do it. I make lots of potions, it's a shame plants don't regrow.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Well.. what type of weapons and stuff then? I have all sorts and yet nothing available to enchant on his enchanting screen?

I'm not talking about crafting stuff as that's eaisly done by you. I'm talking enchantments.

Edited by Volourn

I shut off my cell phone Friday evening and did some very long play sessions over the weekend. I'm done with collecting the armies and off to the capital for the political intrigue stuff I guess.

So far DAO has been really enjoyable. I think the characters are all pretty likable, although some of them were annoying at first, they grew on me as the game progressed.

I rather like the combat, although there are some areas where I think Bioware just made it so you had to use some cheap tactics. I guess the enemies scale with your party, so later on I had enemy archers positioned behind barriers or on highground, all using the scattershot ability, which auto hits, then the arrow explodes dealing damage to everyone in your party, and then stuns for a short time. Its even worse when there is a mage lurking behind them. I had to resort to running away and luring them out one by one, which always felt a little cheap to me. Its not fun when you're surrounded by rogues, and your party gets hits with 3 or 4 scattershots. :)

I eventually found a way around this with some of the nifty mage spells and battles became a lot easier.

Now that I think of it, I should make a party where everyone has scattershot and make life miserable for the enemies.

I laughed when I discovered that the proprietor of the inn at Denerim was

named Edwina, and she was one grumpy lady.

Edited by Azure79

Favourite NPC = Sten. Have grafted to get +80 approval, for some strange reason he's into (SPOLIER)

Fine art. And in his homeland they don't have cookies. I got +8 approval for talking about freaking cookies.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

"I had a whole bunch of them by then. Now (at level 12) I'm just tossing them left and right, it's multiple enchantment slots or bust."

Meh. I'm gettings crewed for some reason. Hope it's not some sort of lame bug.