Dragon Age

Gorth

...and it has the art direction values of South Park.

Did like the Gorion / Sarevok tribute at the start, though.

Yeah. The emissary really should have been "armored fiend" or was it "armored figure"? :lol:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

That brings an interesting question to mind. The "spiritual succesor to BG" title has been thrown around a lot and Im not sure what they mean. Its different characters in a different universe using a different ruleset. Besides a few nods like "you must gather your party", how exactly is it a spiritual succesor to BG?

That brings an interesting question to mind. The "spiritual succesor to BG" title has been thrown around a lot and Im not sure what they mean. Its different characters in a different universe using a different ruleset. Besides a few nods like "you must gather your party", how exactly is it a spiritual succesor to BG?

I think "spiritual successor to BG" means its supposed to be the next Bioware fantasy title; in other words if you liked BG then Bioware is delivering what it feels to be the next BG.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"Spiritual successor to BG" equals, I would imagine: large-scale, single-player, party-based fantasy CRPG with tactical RTwP combat.

Dragon Age ticks all those boxes, and yeah a lot of the BG faithful are romance-crazy and DA ticks that box too.

Personally, I think it means a bit more than just that. Bio has poured more marketing energy and love into this, I think they are trying to refresh the genre on a number of levels, so in much the same way that BG took Bioware in a certain direction I think they reckon DA:O will take them in the next direction. Whatever that is, but I suspect it's original fantasy IPs / franchises with multiple spin-off products. I'm expecting to see in the future DA: Tactics (I'd buy that for a dollar), maybe a DA FPS-style console game, DA 2, 3 & 4 and maybe even a Ferelden MMO.

Super Morrigan Cart on the Wii would be cool.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Their marketing team is working overtime for this game. Impressive, sort of.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Super Morrigan Cart on the Wii would be cool.

No.

Strip Morrigan Poker, featuring burlesque dancing Leliana. :lol:

Yes, I went there, sometimes you've just got to go lowbrow.

As long as you don't include schoolgirls and tentacles you're pretty high brow, at least around these parts.

Their marketing team is working overtime for this game. Impressive, sort of.

Yes. Though the game itself it part of a larger push by EA into browser based games with micro-transactions. I don't think this was even made by BioWare, but a division of EA Games.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Yes. Though the game itself it part of a larger push by EA into browser based games with micro-transactions. I don't think this was even made by BioWare, but a division of EA Games.

Yeah, EA2D if I remember their name right, which I hope I do considering how short it is.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

If Baldur's Gate is defined by anything, it's the scale of the games and the variety of stuff you got to do. BG II, especially, compiles a whole lot of popular D&D scenarios into one title: fight dragons, fight a demi-lich, fight a tunnel full of beholders, fight a mind flayer city, visit the drow, etc. There were cities, towns, underground tombs, countryside inbetween, and I think everything felt reasonably dense in terms of quests and things to discover. They also put some effort into acknowledging different play styles with multiple kits per basic class type, the stronghold quests, etc.

I'd be impressed if BioWare managed to replicate that scale and that variety. I can't speak to the mechanics of Dragon Age because I can't get enough of a sense of them from the materials available. I have gotten a sense of their storytelling and world-building, though, and it's reminding me a lot of their recent stuff like Mass Effect. To start, the player character's place in the world is similarly handled by assignment to the position of "super-agent."

Baldur's Gate also gave the PC an innately special position in the world, but the stakes were of a fairly personal nature and were integrated into a storyline that stretched from the first game to the last. Dealing with your inheritance in Baldur's Gate is similar in many ways to dealing with your immortality in Planescape: Torment. Your motivation in both games is to discover more about yourself and stop the people who are trying to kill you.

Shepard in Mass Effect is a soldier and his mission is personal in that the title he holds obligates him to defeat the villain and protect the all the NPCs populating the world. A player's interest in this plot will vary depending on how much they care about those NPCs and the world they inhabit. They'll always care less about them than they do their own character.

Approaches to world construction in Baldur's Gate and Mass Effect are entirely different. From what I've seen of Dragon Age, one of the largest red flags is that "dragon" is just a type of demon in that world, and that the DA demons seem to be as ubiquitous as ME's Geth. Compare this to the approach Baldur's Gate took from D&D, where dragons are specific organisms with individual histories/personalities/motivations and enough power to claim territory and wealth for themselves.

Without the D&D license, BioWare try to design worlds that are streamlined and logical, but in doing so err towards oversimplification and blandness. Their working conditions are different. Dragon Age was conceived by a team working within time and budgetary constraints during the development of a single project. Baldur's Gate got to borrow everything from 2nd Edition AD&D, the sum of decades of work from writers and designers who themselves were drawing on vast histories of mythology and literature for characters and concepts to lift. It's insufficient to describe the Forgotten Realms of that time period as "generic fantasy" when it carried so much weight behind it and was linked to all the other campaign settings by both the planes of Planescape and the space of Spelljammer. Look also to Marvel comics in the 80s for an example of a system for "shared universe" storytelling hitting a peak of madness.

If BioWare want to continue creating their game worlds without exterior aid in the narrative department, they ought to screen The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, the original Star Wars films, Big Trouble in Little China. There's a bright period in popular culture's history when some smart people figured out that you can expand these fictions through suggestion alone, that mystery and ambiguity aren't the enemy. You really don't have to fill in all the holes, or reduce the work until it's a size where all the holes can be filled.

Wasn't sure if anyone had seen it yet, but Giant Bomb comes through again with another Quick Look for Dragon Age: Origins, this time on the Xbox 360

Dragon Age: Origins Quick Look

I've actually looked at this video of the Xbox 360 gameplay; gameplay and video looks very nice, indeed. Bioware seems to have done a great job again when porting a pc game to the Xbox 360. The visuals are OK as well, I find. You will also see some inventory screens etc.

As for DA: Journeys, this game is a flash game; plans are in the works to make a multi-player (mmo) game....

DA: Origins being touted as a way back to Bioware's roots i.e. back to the Baldur's Gate games; from what I've seen this is (very) true.

DA: Origins will be a party-based game just like BG1+BG2 were; banter amongst the npcs and pc will ensue, too, romances will be in DA: Origins as well.

The backstory, the length, the complexity of the choice and consequences etc. alos qualifies DA: Origins for being the 'spiritual successor' to Baldur's Gate.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

That's a very interesting perspective, though I think Bioware might simply be claiming that DA is finally the mythical game that die-hard WRPG fans will consider on-par with BG2.

And it never hurts sales to add "spiritual succesor to BG" to the claim. :(

Edited by Gfted1

"I don't think this was even made by BioWare, but a division of EA Games."

Funny thing is that BIO *is* a division of EA. L0L

Let's also not forget that DA is also the 'spiritual successor' to NWN, KOTOR,a nd probably every other game BIO has made. *shrug* It's media hype is all it is.

Bottom line is this: DA > BG

Period.

P.S. The flash game looks okay.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.