Dragon Age

Gorth

Hmmm, demo of Dragon Age? I'm not so sure.

Firstly, Bioware has put more info on the game out there than you could shake a stick at, secondly there's the character generator which gives you a flavour of the game plus acts as a sort of ersatz tech test to see if you puter will run it. Thirdly, there are gameplay videos ad nauseum and a website chock full of spoilers, screenies and so on.

Lastly, it's a Bio RPG with elements of all the Bio games you've either loved or hated about Bio.

So I'd say a demo was, in this instance, pretty much surplus to requirement for most customers. People like free, illegal stuff off the internet. Period.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Is it Tuesday yet?

Hmmm....

How about now? No?

Grrr.....

How about now?

Maybe?

Grrr...

Now? Please? TUESDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

:)

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Still, I think that releasing a demo would help lower the appeal of warez releases.

QFT.

I never quite found out why they don't make demos or put them out a month or more after game release. It's like they want people to try warez and then hope they'll buy it.

Not that I approve of this trend, but the answer is quite simple: the cost(time and resources) is not worth the perceived benefits. Also it's probably harder to make a demo for an RPG than a more linear game, especially one that actually gives an overview of what the game has to offer.

Edited by Purkake

Hmmm, demo of Dragon Age? I'm not so sure.

Firstly, Bioware has put more info on the game out there than you could shake a stick at, secondly there's the character generator which gives you a flavour of the game plus acts as a sort of ersatz tech test to see if you puter will run it. Thirdly, there are gameplay videos ad nauseum and a website chock full of spoilers, screenies and so on.

Lastly, it's a Bio RPG with elements of all the Bio games you've either loved or hated about Bio.

So I'd say a demo was, in this instance, pretty much surplus to requirement for most customers. People like free, illegal stuff off the internet. Period.

I don't like reading about games. I don't like watching videos about games (except for some AVGN clips). I like playing games. The character creator was a step in the right direction, but it had no actual gameplay at all after a ~400Mb download.

I'm not too sure about your point about BIO RPGs, because BIO and their games change over time (see pre- and post-KotOR), and it's possible that I may like some of their games but not all. I couldn't get into JE, for instance. Further, I'm a long-time fan, but is it unconceivable to think that there may be some people that have never played a BIO game before? *gasp*

What is pretty silly is that EA is willing to invest in the tech support and PR nightmare that is SECUROM, but a demo is too much to ask. People may like free, illegal stuff off the internet, but they also like not being treated like pirates after purchasing a game and not being stuck with a product after being forced into a blind-purchase or no-purchase situation.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I don't like reading about games. I don't like watching videos about games (except for some AVGN clips). I like playing games.

That seems like a problem on your end. Companies don't exist to make you happy, they exist to make money.

What is pretty silly is that EA is willing to invest in the tech support and PR nightmare that is SECUROM, but a demo is too much to ask. People may like free, illegal stuff off the internet, but they also like not being treated like pirates after purchasing a game and not being stuck with a product after being forced into a blind-purchase or no-purchase situation.

It's quite possible that EA is using Securom to make the shareholders happy.

That seems like a problem on your end. Companies don't exist to make you happy, they exist to make money.
I must have missed your point, because I don't see where I have a "problem" (wow, I actually like playing games!), or how the raison d'

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I think the real reason for no demo is demos dissuade as many people as they persuade, especially it's tough to demo an RPG effectively. That's why you see demos come out some time after the game, they want people who were already planning to buy to buy first, then get the ones who are wavering.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

It saves a bunch of time on messing with all the sliders. There are people who spend hours tweaking that stuff.

I spent 2 hours making my first Mass Effect Character :p

..in Saints Row 2 I spent more time fiddling with my character than playing the game

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I think the real reason for no demo is demos dissuade as many people as they persuade, especially it's tough to demo an RPG effectively. That's why you see demos come out some time after the game, they want people who were already planning to buy to buy first, then get the ones who are wavering.

That's probably also true.

While nice for us, demos are quite a hassle for companies(they have to move some developers to work on the demo when they could polish the game or add extra content) and not really worth it.

Edited by Purkake

You want EA to make you a demo because for whatever reason you don't like watching trailers and reading previews. Making a demo costs way more for them in time and resources(compared to making a trailer, for example), which is why they are not doing it.
Uh, so what? TV ads are absurdly expensive, too, and they purchase time on air for the big hits.

It all comes down to the amount of money and effort you want to invest in marketing. It's not like making demos is a budget-breaking enterprise - especially not for EA. I don't want EA to make me a demo (and I'd appreciate you stopped trying to represent me as a child with a fit, otherwise we'll stop discussing the topic and start discussing each other). I'm simply pointing out how demos can appeal to a) people who would rather play games than read what some brain-dead reviewer thinks, and b) people who may be interested in the game but are turned off when faced with the prospect of $50 going down the drain if the game isn't their cup of tea; those people may think of checking out the warez releases to give the game a spin. In short, demos have a deeper and more lasting impact than just words and video clips. They are, unsurprisingly, more expensive to produce. DUH!

I'm not going to continue the speculation on what shareholders may demand to "protect their investments" or whether they prefer silk or cotton for their undergarments, it's a pointless exercise as neither of us is on the EA board.

I must have missed your point, because I don't see where I have a "problem" (wow, I actually like playing games!), or how the raison d'

Quite pointless to release a demo to a Bioware game. We all know their kind of style and quality, so let's not pretend we'd make a mistake by buying one of their products.

That's not true at all, I still have no idea whether I'll get ME2, though I'm leaning against.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Regarding piracy, a proper PC release was released last night. Which makes whatever DRM was used one of the least effective in history. (And no, I havent downloaded it, I think Bioware are very deserving of my money.)

That DRM would be 'disk check.'

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Quite pointless to release a demo to a Bioware game. We all know their kind of style and quality, so let's not pretend we'd make a mistake by buying one of their products.
I don't know. I purchased ME and it wasn't a mistake, but I got it for 20€. It would have been a mistake to pay 45€ for it.

This is making the assumption that the time spent on making a demo will make a significant number of people happy. Significant by the standards of EA/BioWare, based on the cost of making the demo.
No, this is making the assumption that making a demo will result in increased sales and/or less piracy. An assumption for which, on the other hand, I have no evidence. More sales (with a demo available) = more happy customers, though. It's difficult to analyze the actual effectiveness of different marketing strategies, as said effectiveness is often gauged based on the success of the product.

WOD's argument has merit: a demo is a deciding factor for potential customers. It's probably a more sound business strategy to market a brand than a defined, transparent product. It's not surprising that people download the game to try it, if the company offers a deal that effectively amounts to an act of faith.

@213374U: evidently EA doesn't agree with you
Evidently. If EA had stated they are planning on releasing a demo, I wouldn't be saying that it may be a good thing to release a demo. Edited by 213374U

No, this is making the assumption that making a demo will result in increased sales and/or less piracy. An assumption for which, on the other hand, I have no evidence. More sales (with a demo available) = more happy customers, though. It's difficult to analyze the actual effectiveness of different marketing strategies, as said effectiveness is often gauged based on the success of the product.

There's a plethora of things that people can do to make customers happy. I don't dispute that some people would like a demo. I'm just saying that if they don't feel the cost of making a demo will be recuperated by the increased sales it generates, then there isn't as much incentive to put people on it.

Sucks for those that would like a demo, but not much that can be done about that as far as I am concerned.

It may be advantageous to, it may not be advantageous to. It's hard to say. I know that there are a lot of games I picked up because I loved the demo. But at the same time, there have definitely been games that I did not need a demo to decide I was going to pick it up.

am always amused to hear folks rationalize the piracy o' a Luxury item. please continue.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)