Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

Graphics is the worst con in that list as it's definately gonna cost Bioware some sales. In Bioware boards there's tons of people who scream how graphics don't matter but for the majority they do matter. I probably should say that graphics don't matter to me either as I started to play CRPGs when ASCII or few blobs in the screen were "the thing" but I'd lie in that case. I enjoy good gtaphics and even more good art design. Dragon Age don't have either of 'em. Then again, graphics are not that bad that I'd skip the game entirely for that reason.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Don't know if related to "old-schoolness", but one analyst already lowered his estimated DA:O sales figure

Electronic Arts has "largely missed" the current generation of home consoles with its wholly-owned intellectual properties, according to Cowan and Company's Doug Creutz.

The analyst believes that Need for Speed: Shift, Dead Space: Extraction and Dragon Age: Origins will all under perform at retail, with the latest in its racing franchise expected to sell less than 900,000 units in the US in its first year of release.

Based on channel checks, Creutz has also lowered sales expectations of new BioWare project Dragon Age: Origins by 550,000 units to less than 1.5 million.

"We continue to believe that EA has largely missed this console cycle, and despite recent speculation, we believe it is highly unlikely that EA will be an acquisition target due to a variety of factors," wrote Creutz.

However, Cowan believes that the recently released The Beatles Rock Band, distributed by EA, will outsell Guitar Hero 5 in the US, selling over 3.5 million units in the region, while Rock Band 2 is expected to sell roughly 2.2 million.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ea-h...neration-creutz

Sheesh, so the Alienage is basically the Warsaw Ghetto, huh?

I have a feeling those nazi humans are really going to suffer at the hands of my City Elf rogue and/or Elven necromancer.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

From what I've read at Codex (plenty of Polish speakers there it seems), the 1st and 2nd con are also one, i.e. 'old school graphics'. Don't know what that's supposed to mean. Maybe the graphics isn't shiny, glowy, bloomy enough to be 'new school'?

They probably meant "dated". It's the only thing I can think of that would make sense there, since we are not talking about 2D sprites.

Graphics is the worst con in that list as it's definately gonna cost Bioware some sales. In Bioware boards there's tons of people who scream how graphics don't matter but for the majority they do matter. I probably should say that graphics don't matter to me either as I started to play CRPGs when ASCII or few blobs in the screen were "the thing" but I'd lie in that case. I enjoy good gtaphics and even more good art design. Dragon Age don't have either of 'em. Then again, graphics are not that bad that I'd skip the game entirely for that reason.

You shouldn't feel that you have to qualify your enjoyment of graphics. Video games are, in large part, a visual medium, and so graphics are an important part of the whole package. The problem comes from some reviewers and players who seem to think that good graphics equate automatically to a good game, and ignore gameplay.

Don't know if related to "old-schoolness", but one analyst already lowered his estimated DA:O sales figure
May be it'll sell better over time based on good word of mouth, at least I hope so.

Sheesh, so the Alienage is basically the Warsaw Ghetto, huh?

I have a feeling those nazi humans are really going to suffer at the hands of my City Elf rogue and/or Elven necromancer.

That's the idea. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Guest Slinky
Xbox 360 achievements are out.

This one caught my eye:

Perfectionist

Across all playthroughs, discovered all possible endings

Good luck with that one :thumbsup:

Now that sounds good :getlost:

Xbox 360 achievements are out.

This one caught my eye:

Perfectionist

Across all playthroughs, discovered all possible endings

Good luck with that one :thumbsup:

So if we miss one ending on the first playthrough, we'll never get that achievement?

It says across all your playthroughs.

That means you do NOT need to see a particular ending on a SINGLE playthrough. You just need to see it on ANY playthrough.

It'd be an impossible achievement on a single playthrough because you'd only see one ending on any given playthrough.

Note: I'm considering reloading and picking some different options at a particular point to be a different playthrough, because that still counts.

However, my guess is you'd need to playthrough the entire game with each of the origin stories, through until completion, to get each ending. To be honest I'm not sure specifically what they refer to as "ending." IMO the endings seem to have a fair bit of permutations, but I figure that they don't mean "see every possible permutation" because that would just be reee-eee-eee-eeee-idiculous.

Edited by alanschu

I think it depends on the area.

Alistair is familiar with Redcliffe and IIRC, he's the one that tells you about the area.

Let's face it, we'll play through a couple of times and watch the others on YouTube or something.

That has nothing to do with obtaining the achievement though.

^ Yeah, the dwarf ones look like the most interesting and I like their takes on Dwarves = The Borgias.

Similarly, I noted that in DA the demi-human races look very human. The elves look like humans with pointy ears; the dwarves simply stocky humans. It was obviously a conscious art direction decision, I'd be interested to know what influenced it.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG