Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

I hope it's not played up as horribly tragic.

That's the key isn't it. However DG hasn't really wrote any tragic whiners has he? That seems to be more of a DK formula.

Many people consider Carth to be a tragic whiner. Edit: Actually the king of all tragic whiners. Not my opinion though.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

No, Carth, Bastila's romance, Jolee, and HK-47

Carth was a whinger IMO, but I still liked him, Jolee was probably the best character in the series(IMO) and HK was great comedy relief. But it does raise the alarm for Zevren whinging.

He doesn't whine, he squeels (Zevren that is) Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

If you can read Polish, there's a review (yes, a review) of DA: Origins. Very interesting. I think there's a thread on it on the Bioware forums, too?

Here's the thread:

http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/viewtop...m=135&sp=75

If you look closely, you can see a translation of some of the text from the article in the polish magazine - no scans, though, just a translation.

To the moderators, I hope this is is OK?

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

If you can read Polish, there's a review (yes, a review) of DA: Origins. Very interesting. I think there's a thread on it on the Bioware forums, too?

Here's the thread:

http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/viewtop...m=135&sp=75

If you look closely, you can see a translation of some of the text from the article in the polish magazine - no scans, though, just a translation.

To the moderators, I hope this is is OK?

If they are online in text form just put them through Google Translate and voila!

First review of Dragon Age, from Polish magazine CD-Action: 8+ (85)

Pos:

Multi-threaded plot

Climate

Combat

Great possibilities for development

Length

Cons:

Graphics

Old School

Some fights are difficult like hell even at lower difficulty

levels

The funny thing is the some people on the bio boards aren't happy with the score. :thumbsup:

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

They're saying the graphics aren't good enough. That's hardly a positive. I'm not sure what 'levels' refers to. Do you level too slowly? Is it difficult to figure out a solid character build?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

They're saying the graphics aren't good enough. That's hardly a positive. I'm not sure what 'levels' refers to. Do you level too slowly? Is it difficult to figure out a solid character build?

I think the '3rd' and '4th' con are supposed to be one line i.e.

Some fights are difficult like hell even at lower difficulty levels

From what I've read at Codex (plenty of Polish speakers there it seems), the 1st and 2nd con are also one, i.e. 'old school graphics'. Don't know what that's supposed to mean. Maybe the graphics isn't shiny, glowy, bloomy enough to be 'new school'?

Edited by Masterfade

It's lower difficulty levels.

Bos, where did you find that list?

What an amazing review, all the Cons are good stuff.

Well poor graphics aren't a good thing. Mind you I don't find them that poor.

Dunno, but maybe it has something to do with (according to some reports) the same reviewer has given a 10/10 to Oblivion?

As did a plethora of other mags, but then I don't care what a magazine gives DA, as long as it's not 1 & 2s.

Bos, where did you find that list?

Bio boards.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Ah that makes sense. Someone posted that at work and the formatting was exactly the same pretty much haha.

What score would you give it?

and pros/cons :(

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I'm hardly the best person to score the game haha.

Probably an 8/10 or so.

I find the game a ton of fun to play (my playthrough was on the PC) and I enjoyed most of the characters. I did find the game very difficult at places, but I consider that a positive. I also got a pleasant surprise in the epilogue that I wasn't expecting. I don't mind the graphics themselves, but I think the lighting could be better. I also think that for the amount of subtlety that has gone into a lot of the different interactions based on some choices and your character's origin, the game length will prevent most people from experiencing it as they'll probably only playthrough once.

My party throughout most of the game was me (Human Noble Rogue), Alistair, Morrigan, and Wynne.

To be clear and fair, the console version's default difficulty levels are easier. Nightmare is still pretty silly for both.

Edited by alanschu