Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

Guest Slinky
Ashes Trailer. Hey look, the PC is Drake/Doom Guy/Commander Shepard/Risen Guy/etc. x 50.

Okay, now for the first time I'm starting to think that Bioware's marketing people should be all fired. Oh well, just as long the game is good everything is fine.

^ Actually, the trailer was great. Memes included Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, LotR (duh), X-Men and Band of Brothers - hey look at that steadicam, impactive .50 cal spell effect.

Morrigan looking sneery was great, I liked Imoen chick's Legolas impression and Sten using his sword as an escalator in the side of the dragon was a nice touch. Shame the beast only had about 12 hp.

Honestly, I've kicked ten tons of merde out of this game but I liked that a lot.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

^ Ha ha ha, I liked it you didn't, quel surprise!

What didn't you like about it? Fantasy-game-as-war-movie? It does focus on the OTT superhero element of the genre. As for the bland hero, well as many have said before (a) it's gonna be your hero so the generic one needn't be remarkable and (b) hey, it's a Bioware game.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Ashes Trailer. Hey look, the PC is Drake/Doom Guy/Commander Shepard/Risen Guy/etc. x 50.

WOW that gameplay footage is fantastic! :sorcerer:

Can't wait to play it, the Dragon went down too fast though.

Nice user reviews, they gave the same rating as the guy who actually played the game =]

since i havent played it

While I haven't gotten a chance to really see this game in action, it is the company that makes this the game to pick up. Bioware never makes a game that isn't worth playing

I like the look of the game and the game play

Edited by Kelverin

There was a lot of homage going on in that trailer, from the fellowship of the ring mountain-climbing to the baldur's gate cue that went off when the dragon landed.

Couldn't see much else from the postage stamp sized window, will check out later.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Guest Slinky
^ Actually, the trailer was great.

I haven't had any problems with earlier trailers, even with the famous violence trailer, because they had more than just blood and guts. Like showing little parts of the story. This one looked to me as just tribute for violence with one-liners, nothing else.

Maybe you liked it, because to you fighting is important, if not the most important thing? And I didn't like it because to me it isn't.

Guest Slinky
Is it OK if I come into this thread just to mention Risen a few times? Risen Risen Risen.

Sure, as long I can say "boring boring boring" :sorcerer:

Since the gamespot link isn't working anymore, here's youtube link for the trailer. Second time I watched that and I still think it's waste of time.

I got a serious "Chronicles of Riddick" vibe from that trailer, which I liked. But for a game called "Dragon Age", I'm hoping we'll see dragons doing something other than just stand around while Riddick skewers them.

Trailers are nice, but actual combat footage when?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It seemed more like a Dungeon Siege 3 trailer to me. I didn't even recognize most of the characters save Sten. The characters are all going Legolas in the trailer but I doubt whether in the actual game they will be able to jump over a pebble.

EDIT: grammar

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Trailers are nice, but actual combat footage when?

There's been a ton of combat footage. In fact, we've been getting combat footage since the beginning of the year.

I reviewed the whole 20 pages... no gameplay footage. I guess I should go elsewhere for my gaming news.

Oh well, can't win 'em all.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I think Blur studio managed to capture all essential elements of Dragon Age. Snowy mountain trek and archers movements are strong nod toward Lord of the Rings movie and that suits Dragon Age just fine. Orc hordes fall in front of Gimli... I mean that big guy with 2h sword. Finally we have a dragon, who can take few arrows, huge hit to the side (like dragon skin is made out of paper) and lighting blot to the face befoe getting beheaded. Difficulty level just perfect for the majority of players. Generic fantasy world (in positive way for the majority) and lowish difficulty curve. I'd say trailer was very accurate with all the other available info.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I reviewed the whole 20 pages... no gameplay footage. I guess I should go elsewhere for my gaming news.

Oh well, can't win 'em all.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-2008-dragon-age/38789

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/new-york-dragon-age/45248

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/new-york-dragon-age/45249

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sloth-ba...ragon-age/52501

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2008-dragon-age/37133

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/wynne-fi...ragon-age/52503

And the rest here: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/dragon-age-origins/9022

I think Blur studio managed to capture all essential elements of Dragon Age. Snowy mountain trek and archers movements are strong nod toward Lord of the Rings movie and that suits Dragon Age just fine. Orc hordes fall in front of Gimli... I mean that big guy with 2h sword. Finally we have a dragon, who can take few arrows, huge hit to the side (like dragon skin is made out of paper) and lighting blot to the face befoe getting beheaded. Difficulty level just perfect for the majority of players. Generic fantasy world (in positive way for the majority) and lowish difficulty curve. I'd say trailer was very accurate with all the other available info.
I liked the spider's animation.

I imagine JRPG haters touching themselves how cool and realistic this DA vid is. It's really funny.

This game selling billions of copies can only mean good things for tradation-style pc gaming and for tradtional-syle crpg game design.

Go DA Go!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The reasons I liked the trailer a lot are:

1. It was purdy, very purdy.

2. It felt epic. And polished. This makes me happy.

3. This will make Maria scream, but I got more of a feel for the characters in that clip than I do from the cringe-worthy fake interviews (etc). Crazy Imoen chick talks to herself whilst slotting people like a sniper; Morrigan is like a fighter who uses magic... the look on her face is like a sergeant in an old war moive enjoying the fact that he's pinned down by enemy machinegun fire; Stenn is a machine warrior, quietly professional and not making a fuss about the carnage. As for the PC - so what? It'll be your character, fleshing him out in the trailer is superfluous.

4. Obviously it ain't gameplay footage, but that trailer gives an excellent idea of what your combat options are - shapechanging, combat styles and moves, spells, archery (etc).

5. The LotR love is too much, though, that Darkspawn mage dude was Uruk Hai. Period.

Maybe they'll release a really exciting trailer full of poorly animated boobs, love by the campfire and Fakespeare cutscenes to keep the knitting circle over at the Bioboards happy later on :rolleyes:

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG