Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

That gamebanshee review seemed to be your turning point haha.

Actually, it was a turning point for poor Maria, who finally realised that quite a few of us are interested in stuff that she didn't dream that any normal, sentient human being might be interested in. Like nerdy AI / gaming mechanics around combat.

sonsofgygax.JPG

:: sigh :: I'm not making any pun whatsoever.

"When 'X' is at home" is an English (as in the country, not the language) colloquial expression for when you don't know what / who something / someone is. For example, "Mahmoud Ahmadinejad? Who's he when he's at home?"

I apologise for using a colloquialism on an international forum, OTOH now you know a common English expression in case you ever visit.

Actually I've heard the colloquialism here in the US, so knew what you meant.

I don't know if you've noticed, but I've actually been extraordinarily enthusiastic about elements of DA recently. I do try to be fair (ish). None of this detracts from my genuine confusion as to what that website is all about and how it adds value to the game. It's a crappy beta site where you post stats about your game and endure what looks like the South Park version of Dragon Age. My question is, quite simply, why? Why is anyone interested in how many monsters Bob Smith from Little Rock, Arkansas (when he's at home) killed? Or who was in his party?

Remain genuinely baffled. Really.

Cheers

MC

AFAIK you don't upload anything; the thread about it on Bioware's site has this quote - "The video sells it as a bit of an action game but it's a legit RPG with turn-based combat. We will also have a few items you can unlock in DA:O by playing."

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Now now, MCs, don't go duking it out. Wait, am I painting a bullseye on my forehead by saying that? o:):grin:

Anyhow, I see most of the recent stuff as positive. As usual, I've avoided the links except where folks have sent them to me personally. On the other hand, I do plan on downloading the character generator on the 13th. I can't see how it can be spoilerish and it might really help me glean some info about the game without spoiling the story.

I decided a while ago I was going to get this game and the video did not disappoint. It does look really freakin hard though but I think that was more the guy having a sub par build and being a mage early game. Easy mode for me.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

The game is pretty challenging to start.

I had a hard time at first with my rogue build to start.

Mages can be very powerful at the beginning, but it comes with an understanding of the character and abilities.

Edited by alanschu

Just saw the Brood Mother. Is Bioware trying to repulse me from playing any of their games?

I look forward to difficulty where strategy is involved. Just seeing the playthrough of this really builds my anticipation for this title. Glad I got a new pc last month!

The two slackers narrating the video might be annoying, but they do come up with some gems...

Slacker one: Whoah, traps. Evetyone's on fire.

Slacker two: Hey, we've got Mordeicai the Mage.

Slacker two (deadpan): Yeah, but he's on f*****g fire.

I will happily concede from that video that the combat system is BG + Diablo x tactics = pretty cool.

sonsofgygax.JPG

It was excruciating to watch 'em play game so badly. No strategy, no crowd control, bad positioning, incorrect use of abilities, drinking health potions like they're going out of style and still getting killed... No wonder game industry is moving towards semi interactive quicktime event games because EVERYTHING is too hard for the majority.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

It was excruciating to watch 'em play game so badly. No strategy, no crowd control, bad positioning, incorrect use of abilities, drinking health potions like they're going out of style and still getting killed... No wonder game industry is moving towards semi interactive quicktime event games because EVERYTHING is too hard for the majority.

Cut them some slack. They managed to finish it despite a total lack of strategy & it's kinda hard to play decently if you have to finish a preview in 20 minutes and talking the entire time.

That said, the combat to me looks a lot like NWN2, only more fast-paced. I was hoping for something more slow-paced with cool animations like Drakensang. Then again, BioWare games shouldn't really be played for the combat nowadays.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I wasn't overly impressed by the combat in that giant Bomb vid, mostly due to the gamepaly balance. It seems too easy, especially if you take in consideration that those guys were playing the game like untrained monkeys, that they were mostly leaving the companions uncontrolled and that Bioware included the now standard, dying is meaningless mechanic. I imagine the combat will be more rewarding for players who like to leave everything to the AI rather than the ones that control everything BG style. The only thing I did like in the vid was the interface from the inventory to the colored circles.

All that said, I'll probably buy it when I can get it for 20

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I wasn't overly impressed by the combat in that giant Bomb vid, mostly due to the gamepaly balance. It seems too easy, especially if you take in consideration that those guys were playing the game like untrained monkeys, that they were mostly leaving the companions uncontrolled and that Bioware included the now standard, dying is meaningless mechanic. I imagine the combat will be more rewarding for players who like to leave everything to the AI rather than the ones that control everything BG style. The only thing I did like in the vid was the interface from the inventory to the colored circles.

All that said, I'll probably buy it when I can get it for 20

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif