Favorite book/series?

kingofsquid

In unrelated news the next Wheel of Time book, The Gathering Storm is coming out in about a month.

That reminds me, Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" is one of the most creative/original fantasy that came out in the last decade, regardless of the ridiculous "BioWare"-like contrived romance. Brilliant setting & magic-system.

I still have some books of Robin Hobb lying around to be read (apparently she's brilliant) but haven't had time to read some of her works.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

yo got one right here - and i know Oerwinde is a fan too

i'm also kinda curious about the new WoT book

i had a friend link me to the first chapter on Tor's website and the different style of writing is noticable, but not glaringly so

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

yo got one right here - and i know Oerwinde is a fan too

i'm also kinda curious about the new WoT book

i had a friend link me to the first chapter on Tor's website and the different style of writing is noticable, but not glaringly so

Half the fun is just knowing how it will end and what will happen to all the characters. As long as the writing isn't horrible or totally different, I'm fine with it.

haha yeah it's gonna be strange when it's over

would have given up on the series long ago except that i hate not finishing books once i start them

hell i absolutely hated Anne Rice's vampire chronicles, but once i started i had to finish them

To a God Unknown

Old Man and The Sea

O Anjo Ancorado

The Trial

The Metamorphosis

Crime and Punishment

Good Omens

Of Mice and Men

Foucault's Pendulum

A list of books. Or an attempt at giving myself airs of intelligence.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Pretty good? That's like saying that that Beethoven dude wasn't a bad composer. Or that Psycho was kind of an enjoyable movie. Or that the Sistine Chapel was a fairly nice bit of painting. Or that Alpha Centauri was a rather engaging game.

I think I got my point across. :)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Didn't young Werther kill himself?

Awesome inspiration indeed...

Yes he did in his blue jacket. But the underlining meaning of the story and the history of Goethe himself is what makes this such a great novel.

Goethe IS Werther, most of what happened to werther is how he felt about a young woman who he could never get. Also the things that happen in our lives stay with us forever, so we should becareful of what we choose to do. Goethe didnt actually Kill himself over this young girl. He stuck with his creative writing ability and shared this novel to the world, he rose above his condition. Nietzche dubbed him the uber mensch. The man that over comes.

Pretty good? That's like saying that that Beethoven dude wasn't a bad composer. Or that Psycho was kind of an enjoyable movie. Or that the Sistine Chapel was a fairly nice bit of painting. Or that Alpha Centauri was a rather engaging game.

I think I got my point across. :)

I like to take things in moderation. I don't go around saying things are the awesomest of awesome, that's just stupid. It's a good book, but not the salvation of mankind in written form.

When I hear that a hundred people died, I think "that's kinda bad", not "OMG the worst tragedy of all time".

@Theseus: Thanks for the literary analysis, but contrary to popular belief I did go to school.

Sure, it was just a bit drawn out. A bunch of dudes did blow their brains out after the book was released IIRC.

I can appreciate most of classic literature, but I actually enjoyed very few of the books.(Crime and Punishment, Master and Margarita being two)

Edited by Purkake

i'd say there'd be at least 2 more

the next one is pretty much gonna be the second half of the last one

too many character's points of view to fit into one so he kinda split them up by location

i'd say there'd be at least 2 more

the next one is pretty much gonna be the second half of the last one

too many character's points of view to fit into one so he kinda split them up by location

It's really dragging on too long, I feel like I've totally forgotten everything at this point. Maybe once he releases two more, I'll sit down and re-read the whole thing. I'm just not sure I've ever seen a write take this long on releasing a series. I know guys like Robert Jordan dragged it out, but at least he was releasing a book here and there. Martin is sooooo slow.

Some of my favorites..

A Song of Ice and Fire and Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin

Malazan: Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson

Wheel of Time 1-6 by Robert Jordan

Dune Chronicles by Frank Herbert

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentlemen Bastard sequence) by Scott Lynch

The Stand and The Dark Tower by Stephen King

Romance of the Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong

Pretty much anything by Neil Gaiman, especially American Gods

The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan

Started reading Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan as well, and it's really good so far. Definitely gonna keep reading more books by him.

Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart.

The whole (sadly shortlived) Master Li series is good, which included BoB and Story of the Stone and Eight Skilled Gentlemen. But if you're only going to read one, Bridge of Birds is well worth it as a stand alone story.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Started reading Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan as well, and it's really good so far. Definitely gonna keep reading more books by him.

The second in the Kovach trilogy is pretty bad and I couldn't get more than ~30 pages into the last one.

Altered Carbon was pretty good, though.

I haven't heard anything good about his other books either.

My very very favorite series is The Wayfarer Redemption series by Sara Douglass. There's 11 books altogether, although the first 3 go under the title name.

The Lord of the Rings including The Hobbit

I also very much enjoyed The Silmarillion by Tolkien

All the Harry Potter books

The Clan of the Cavebear series

Mary Stewart's 'Merlin' trilogy

Bane is epic, so's Drizzt (though last time I mentioned it here I started an argument, much like always). Same goes for the Elminster books (though to a lesser extent). Most of the FR stuff is good, although some is absolute crap. Harry Potter, it goes without saying, is pure epic win, distilled into book form, though I might be slightly biased towards it, because I grew up with it, and by that I mean Sorcerer's Stone was the first full "book" I ever read. In terms of "literature," with themes and all that crap, Kurt Vonnegut's good. Most Biritsh litterature is absolute crap, with the exceptions being LOTR (aka the greatest book ever) and Dracula.

Of course, this is the greatest book ever written.

I might post more later but here are just a few titles for Mr.Squid to look into:

The Divine Comedy

Goethe's Faust

The Lord of the Rings

The Hobbit

Dracula

The Historian

Good stuff.

Ovid's Metamorphoses*

*In Latin

Ouch. If its anywhere near as bad as the Aenead then thats one of the most painful things imaginable.

Absolutely true! BTW, did you hear about the new one soon? Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil