The New Classics

entrerix

lol

yeah i totally 100% agree with portal, mass effect i'm personally not sold on yet. i think riddick stands a better chance at being recognized as better down the line. i think mass effect may eventually be somewhat forgotten because bioware will keep releasing new games, each essentially replacing the last (since they are so similar)

i could be wrong though, why do you think mass effect might get there?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i could kind of see that logic, thats similar to why i nominated bioshock really.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

So if I think my toothpick is brilliant, that makes it so?

I am now in possession of the singular brilliant toothpick.

For something to be considered good, you need someone to agree with you, otherwise everything anyone makes would be equally good.

The case is, if at least 1 person besides you thinks that your idea is brilliant, there is big chance that the idea is realy brilliant :lol:

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Just to be clear, being a classic doesn't require originality. I don't think people have said that they do need originality directly, and I know someone else has said what I just did. Though a lot of the criteria that people list do indicate originality in some way.

"I meant free indie games. My point is that sometimes the criteria for success is dependent on the developer's goals."

Um. If it's free than obviously the intent isn't to make money right? So, it would mean that it doens't need to make money since obviously the goal isn't to make money. If I made somehting and gave it to free I can't really be expecting to make a profit...

"Same as if they'd climbed a mountain together and returned home alive and in good spirits (and with memories that they'd keep their whole lives)."

This doens't even make sense and has nothing to do what we are discussing. I consider it a success when I win a hide and seek (when I was a kid); but it's completely irrelevant here.

"yeah some authors dont write for money, they write for the pleasure of writing.

but they are still glad if they get some $ at the end of the day."

Irrelevant. Doens't matter how much you like somehting yo do, if you aren't succeeding at selling it you aren't a professional. Stephen King is an author. I presume he started writing because he enjoyed. He became successful. It doesn't mean he enjoys it less. However, if his books had bombed sale wise, he would be a failure even thoguh he would still be able to continue to enjoy writing. Just not professionally.

I enjoy playing sports but I'm not a professional athlete hence my 'failure' professionally... doesn't mean I enjoy sports less.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So if I think my toothpick is brilliant, that makes it so?

I am now in possession of the singular brilliant toothpick.

For something to be considered good, you need someone to agree with you, otherwise everything anyone makes would be equally good.

If you truly recognize it as brilliant for some reason... yes

My post made the assumption of brilliance a given, in those examples. If it wasn't brilliant, then it wasn't. shrug-1.gif

(but in this case it was :)).

no moar derail thread!!!

was not thread about defining terms!

Agreed.

"Same as if they'd climbed a mountain together and returned home alive and in good spirits (and with memories that they'd keep their whole lives)."

This doens't even make sense and has nothing to do what we are discussing. I consider it a success when I win a hide and seek (when I was a kid); but it's completely irrelevant here.

It does indeed make sense... and someone else may even choose to reiterate it.

(But I'll put it another way myself... Look at the link in my SIG, called Ground Zero. Those guys got no direct pay for their hobby, yet it got them all jobs. :lol:)

Edited by Gizmo

Bioshock

maybe riddick

maybe company of heroes

wow

Portal

maybe world of goo

resident evil 4 (but not 5)

shadow of colossus

Rock Band

maybe Braid

maybe the Witcher

maybe stalker

left 4 dead

Far Cry (wait how old is this game?)

maybe Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (its the best console shooter i've played since perfect dark, but its not as good as that game was for it's time. imo)

maybe Batman Arkham Asylum (mostly because I think it will greatly influence future superhero games)

maybe mass effect

maybe Bethesda's Fallout: Wasteland Explorer (don't go nuts over this, im merely posting it because it might end up creating a newish

subgenre: the EARPFPS - (exploration action roleplay fps)

these are my (and some others') current guesses at likely candidates of recent (5 year limit) games. I wanted to put BG&E and prince of persia but they are both outside the somewhat arbitrary 5 year limit on "new"

not many rpg's on my guesses list...

thats also 15+ games in 5 years. thats 3 a year if they all made it. im surprised at myself for nominating so many since when i think of my favorite games nearly all of them are much older than 5 years

Edited by entrerix

Nothing is objectively brilliant.
Go watch the Connections series by James Burke when you can. :lol:

5 years huh... and classic?

*starts thinking...

Can't think of anything in that time frame except (maybe Dawn of War). shrug-1.gif

I haven't played Witcher, MOTB, Stalker, [though I own all 3] and nothing that is not a PC title.

Edited by Gizmo

maybe Bethesda's Fallout: Wasteland Explorer (don't go nuts over this, im merely posting it because it might end up creating a newish

subgenre: the EARPFPS - (exploration action roleplay fps)

I actually wonder if you're onto something there, I like it...

sonsofgygax.JPG

Not sure what would qualify as 'classics'... Probably some arbitrary thing as game that will be remembered more fondly in the future than in the present :aiee:

So, what would they be remembered for? Long time spent playing? Stunning visuals/audio? Funky game design/mechanics? Innovative features/concepts?

Looking back at the past 5 years, I don't really see what would make the current crop 'classics' ;)

(disclaimer: I probably haven't played a lot of the "popular" games the last 5 years either)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

THE console shooter.

Contradiction in terms. Or maybe it's more like being the worlds smartest horse. Pretty smart for a horse, but it fails when compared to human intelligence.

You may want to cut back on the elitism a bit, it's already dripping on the floor.

There are shooters on the console, some people actually enjoy them, CoD:MW is one of the best. If you can't deal with other people having fun, I feel sad for you.

Edited by Purkake

I have and its downright stupid. It beats the whole point of an FPS game, which is reflex based precise mouse shooting.

If that setup was any good everyone would bring a gamepad to Quake 3 and CS tournaments.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life